Jump to content

Out of State License

Nurses   (236 Views | 16 Replies)
by mcox119 mcox119 (New) New Student

16 Profile Views; 4 Posts

Hello

I am currently a Kentucky Resident and attend nursing school in Kentucky. I am planning to move with my fiance to Missouri (Compact state with Kentucky). Should I attempt to get my license in Kentucky and then apply for endorsement through Missouri? Or should I wait until I am a legal Missouri resident before I apply for a license? P.S. We are moving the day after I graduate with my ASN-RN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,048 Posts; 11,032 Profile Views

If I were you,,, I would simply apply for license by examination in Missouri just prior to graduation. You would then have your nursing program send your transcripts to the Missouri BON.. after receiving your ATT you can then schedule and sit your exam anywhere there is a testing center (in the even you haven't actually moved ... you could sit the exam in Kentucky)... if you know  you are moving and are not going to be working in Kentucky... don't waste your time and money getting your nursing license there..

If you do ever move back then you would simply apply for license by endorsement into Kentucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amoLucia specializes in LTC.

5,267 Posts; 46,234 Profile Views

General rule of thumb for all to know is that the application process is much more favorable to the applicant if that state license is already obtained. Second best approach is that an application to the State licensing board is in process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,254 Posts; 48,299 Profile Views

13 hours ago, 203bravo said:

... if you know  you are moving and are not going to be working in Kentucky... don't waste your time and money getting your nursing license there..

[...]

Generally, I agree with this.  However, as the OP is currently a resident of KY, he or she will have to apply for licensure in the state of residency.

OP, have you contacted the MO BON?  As your situation is somewhat unique, they might grant an exception.  

Best wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

4 Followers; 1,677 Posts; 3,539 Profile Views

By the time OP tests, they will be living in MO. Have your school send documents to their BON. No reason to test for KY if your not living there. Even with compact licensure, KY is out, as it won't be state of residence. Good luck on your future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,254 Posts; 48,299 Profile Views

6 minutes ago, Hoosier_RN said:

By the time OP tests, they will be living in MO. Have your school send documents to their BON. No reason to test for KY if your not living there. Even with compact licensure, KY is out, as it won't be state of residence. Good luck on your future!

I understand that.  However, it's based upon residency when you apply.  If the OP submits her or his application to the MO BON with a KY address, it will be rejected.  As there is a substantial military presence in MO, I would doubt that this is the first time this situation has arisen.  

Again, this is why the OP should contact the MO BON for guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

4 Followers; 1,677 Posts; 3,539 Profile Views

1 hour ago, chare said:

I understand that.  However, it's based upon residency when you apply.  If the OP submits her or his application to the MO BON with a KY address, it will be rejected.  As there is a substantial military presence in MO, I would doubt that this is the first time this situation has arisen.  

Again, this is why the OP should contact the MO BON for guidance.

I lived in IN when I graduated, applied to test in KY for my KY license. You can apply to test to any state that you wish, as long as you meet their educational criteria. OP will just need to update with their new address as soon as they have their license. If they know new address at this time (like living with a relative, etc) they can supply that now. One of my classmates back then left for TX the day after graduation-spouse in military-and had no issues back then. Students at same college do similar now, it's not that big of an issue

Edited by Hoosier_RN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NICU Guy has 5 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in NICU.

1 Follower; 3,555 Posts; 32,433 Profile Views

As long as you meet their educational requirements, you can apply for an initial license in any state regardless of your residency. I had several classmates that moved between graduation and NCLEX and applied for their initial license in the state they were moving to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,254 Posts; 48,299 Profile Views

13 minutes ago, Hoosier_RN said:

I lived in IN when I graduated, applied to test in KY for my KY license. ...

Were both IN and KY members of the nursing license compact (NLC) at that time?  If not, this is why you were able to do so.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier_RN said:

... You can apply to test to any state that you wish, as long as you meet their educational criteria. ...

As long as both states are not members of the current enhance NLC (eNLC).  If both states are members of the eNLC, you must apply for licensure in the state of residency.  If you are a resident of one eNLC state, and apply for licensure in another eNLC state, your application is going to be rejected. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Posts; 16 Profile Views

3 minutes ago, chare said:

Were both IN and KY members of the nursing license compact (NLC) at that time?  If not, this is why you were able to do so.

As long as both states are not members of the current enhance NLC (eNLC).  If both states are members of the eNLC, you must apply for licensure in the state of residency.  If you are a resident of one eNLC state, and apply for licensure in another eNLC state, your application is going to be rejected. 

  

This is the problem I'm having.. both are eNLC members and I was told by the MO board of nursing to apply in KY then change residency to MO when I am moved. eNLC told me to apply in MO to save money. I'm getting different answers from everyone. 

Also, I don't see why my institution wouldn't meet the MO bon requirements, but I am worried it might be more difficult to have the board and my school communicate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,254 Posts; 48,299 Profile Views

1 minute ago, mcox119 said:

This is the problem I'm having.. both are eNLC members and I was told by the MO board of nursing to apply in KY then change residency to MO when I am moved. eNLC told me to apply in MO to save money. I'm getting different answers from everyone. 

If the MO BON is telling you this, then that is what you are going to have to do.

When you apply for your MO license, you will be allowed to work on your KY license throughout the application process, regardless of length of time required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Posts; 16 Profile Views

I am graduating may 8 and moving to MO may 11. I am just wondering if it would be easier to declare residency in MO as soon as possible and have my license changed to MO then start the application process through the bon. 

I am worried I will be 3 or 4 months out from taking my NCLEX going through this process.

26 minutes ago, chare said:

If the MO BON is telling you this, then that is what you are going to have to do.

When you apply for your MO license, you will be allowed to work on your KY license throughout the application process, regardless of length of time required.

They all have different answers, I emailed one and they said apply for MO and don't worry about KY and when I called they said apply for KY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.