US citizen giving birth in Canada - page 3

Well, I lost my job and health insurance and I'm pregnant. My husband says just go to Canada to have the baby, healthcare is free and the baby will be a dual citizen...we'll go rent a cabin for a... Read More

  1. by   suzanne4
    Quote from motorcycle mama
    You're darn right I would.

    You may not know it, but most births in the world are unassisted.

    I don't think I would be illegal in Canada.

    You actually would be considered illegal in Canada. As an American, you can go there to visit; but if you go there for the purpose of staying, you are required to have a visa to do that.
  2. by   txspadequeenRN
    This is crazy!!

    Quote from motorcycle mama
    You're darn right I would.

    You may not know it, but most births in the world are unassisted.

    I don't think I would be illegal in Canada.
  3. by   SmilingBluEyes
    One alternative that does not involve leaving the USA to have your baby:

    If you are a reasonably low-risk birthing mama, you COULD consider the services of a qualified midwife and possibly, midwife-run birthing center. These are homelike, lovely places to give birth and don't involve high-cost interventions that hospitals tend to. Also, most new couplets go home within HOURS not DAYS, unlike the typical hospital-birthing moms. The cost savings would be GREAT, I am sure.

    Also, if things are that dire, adoption may be a worthy consideration for you and the wellbeing of the child. A child needs stability in his/her life after all.
    Last edit by SmilingBluEyes on Feb 3, '07
  4. by   atwtrn
    As someone who knows about expensive health care in the US (9000/treatment x 6/year) anything you can to qualify for medicaid. Can you sell the three cars and purchase one? Try calling 1-800-986-baby..or finding someone that deals with WIC. There are ways to get your child health care in the US. I agree that going to Canada is wrong b/c those citizens pay for their "free" health care through taxation by their government. Isn't their a way to pay in installments? I've read from others and I agree that you should get rid of anything you own and cancel tv and internet..whatever you can. I can't understand someone who would be willing to birth their child on their own and risk his/her life..for meaningless items. My birth was complicated and resulted in Cerebral Palsy..I would have died without medical care. Can you really deny your child life? **Don't mean to sound harsh..I just know individuals who deal with the expense and have to give up things to live.
  5. by   HUCtoRNBScN
    Canada's so-called "FREE" healthcare costs me $75 a month regardless if I use it or not. I may never go to the hospital or doctors, yet I still have to pay $75 a month to be able to have healthcare available to me in case of emergency, sickness etc. I also pay tax on everything that I purchase or services that I use, just to have my "free" healthcare. If I were in the same boat as the OP, then I would seriously consider what I could sell of my material, needless items, to pay for a healthy, risk-free childbirth. It makes me so upset to hear the OP complain of all her health and financial problems and still have the nerve to bring a child into this world. How ridiculous. If you are aren't able to support yourself, maybe you should have thought about contraceptives. As far as the idea of moving to Quebec to have your baby, just so you can avoid the cost of having your baby in the States, as a Canadian, that idea disgusts me. You complain of illegal immigrants coming into your country for free care, yet you have the guts to jump across the border. :angryfire
    Last edit by Jay-Jay on Feb 3, '07 : Reason: Removing personal attack
  6. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    Wow, this has obviously hit a hot button! As the parent of a heavy health care consumer and a Canadian health care provider, I will admit that my reaction to motorcycle mama's proposal to have her baby in Canada is quite negative. As several posters have stated, health care in Canada is NOT free... we pay quite a lot for it, we just don't get an itemized statement. As a Canadian taxpayer who handed over 25 % of my gross income last year to the government just in payroll deductions, who pays a tax on every non-food item I purchase (including the electricity to run my computer, the water I drink and bathe in and the natural gas to heat my home) to help finance our health care system, and who has paid out several hundred dollars in unrecoverable pharmaceutical costs last year, I highly resent her attitude. Not many would consider her a true economic refugee. The many options provided by other posters regarding supports available in the States should be given serious consideration before she decides to pack up and move to Quebec. How much French do you speak, MM?

    Please let's keep things civil in here, okay?
  7. by   Jay-Jay
    Locking thread for a cooling-off period.
    Last edit by Jay-Jay on Feb 5, '07
  8. by   Jay-Jay
    Okay, re-opening thread. Please, please avoid personal attacks.

    Motorcycle Mama, many excellent suggestions have been given here. To summarize:

    1) There are jobs you can still do with your sciatica problem. Telehealth would be one.
    2) You need to more fully investigate financial help that is available from the state you're living in. I am not knowledgable about medical aid in the States, but posters who are have made many suggestions.
    3) If you DO go to Canada, you will be considered an illegal alien, unless you have obtained a visa, and will not be legally able to work.
    4) If you have too much in the way of assets to qualify for finacial aid, then sell something off! Why do you need THREE vehicles?
    5) I, too, am wondering why you became pregnant in the first place, if your job and financial situation were not secure. Given the circumstances, it might be a good idea to put the baby up for adoption. Sometimes prospective parents are even willing to help with medical costs.

    Please consider some of these suggestions.
  9. by   OgopogoLPN
    Wow. A financial refugee to Canada so you can have our "free" healthcare to have your baby? Unreal.
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    I still say the midwife/birthing center would be a good and economical way to go.

    Good luck.
  11. by   txspadequeenRN
    The OP really needs to look into the rules for her state Medicaid program. In Texas you can have more than one car, they just have a limit on how much they are worth. My income limit was something like 4200/month (now that was with 4 other kids at home). Obtaining pregnancy Medicaid is a lot different than getting regular Medicaid or food stamps. Stop trying to run to other countries to get out of your problems. Investigate all your options here first.
  12. by   General E. Speaking, RN
    Hmmm. Interesting thread. Interesting responses. Waiting to see what the outcome will be.
  13. by   UM Review RN
    I say, just stay home, have the baby here in the US. Then, when the dust settles from the hospital bills and you're ready to go back to work, get a lawyer, declare bankruptcy and start over again.

    Lots of people, lots of companies do this every single day, perfectly acceptable. Plus in a lot of states you get to keep your home and one or two cars.