How much do RNs make working at a doctor's office?

Posted

I'm planning on applying for an ADN program and then working at a doctor's office. I live in Southern California (Los Angeles, Orange County area). What salary can I expect? Thank you.

Edited by Joe V

pedrn

pedrn, RN

23 Posts

I work in a pediatrician office in MS and I make 14.72 an hour. I know it's awful.

lady_jezebel

lady_jezebel

548 Posts

They usually make less per hr than the local hospital, no matter where you look.

suzanne4, RN

26,410 Posts

They will always make less than a hospital-based nurse............whether you work private for the physician or for a hosptial-based physician.

And the salaries can be much lower in some areas.

browsing

browsing

83 Posts

How much do you think I will make per year? I was hoping to find work in doctor's office where people come for health checkups, shots, etc. Simple routines I guess compared to what goes on in the hospitals.

justmanda

justmanda

82 Posts

browsing said:
How much do you think I will make per year? I was hoping to find work in doctor's office where people come for health checkups, shots, etc. Simple routines I guess compared to what goes on in the hospitals.

If you want to make good money, you'll have to work in the hospital. Our float pool makes 37-39$ per hour. If you work in a doctor's office, you'll make no more than 14 or 15$ an hour (if you're lucky). If all you are worried about is the craziness of the hospital, I encourage you to try it! You will be used to it after a year and will be making so much more money. New nurses are all so afraid they will accidentally kill someone...that sounds like the reason you want to work in a routine (giving shots, etc) atmosphere right? It is HARD to kill someone! (barring completely ignoring your patient or giving them A LOT of the wrong med). Most meds that could instantly kill someone (like blood products, insulin, etc.) are double checked by other nurses anyway. When something goes wrong with a patient, you call the doctor and he tells you what to do. If you can follow orders and manage your time, you can work in the hospital. But beware...nurses treat new nurses like crap. Their intention is not to make you feel like crap, it is to make themselves feel superior -- it's just at your expense.

Nurse Ratched, RN

Specializes in Geriatrics/Oncology/Psych/College Health. 2,149 Posts

I make just over $23/hour at my office job. It's not on either coast where that wouldn't buy anything, either. My hospital job in the same town is just a shade over $19 base pay, so for the same hours and much more pleasant work, I am making more at the office than at the hospital. There's a weekend and charge diff at the hospital of course, but I don't like charging and part of the joy of outpatient nursing is the no weekend thing.

austin heart

austin heart, BSN, RN

Specializes in ICU. 321 Posts

suzanne4 said:
They will always make less than a hospital-based nurse............whether you work private for the physician or for a hospital-based physician.

And the salaries can be much lower in some areas.

Not true, the last office nurse position I took a $4.50 increase in pay from my ICU position. It all depends on what you are going to be doing, how much responsibility you will have and what experience you have. I was an office RN that assisted 1 doctor in a 4 doctor group. I did his clinic, telephone triage and assisted with his hospital rounds.

NursePamela

NursePamela

Has 20+ years experience. 330 Posts

I just want to comment on justmanda's statement about being HARD to kill someone. NOT. It is very easy to kill someone. If you accidentally leave "regular" IV fluids open and bolus someone. That fluid could send someone into CHF and which could have a domino effect on their body. People in the hospitals these days are more sick than ever. It is very easy for someone not to be able to handle a not needed bolus. If not caught in time they could die! NEVER think it is hard to kill someone - that is when you let your guard down and you will kill someone.

suzanne4, RN

26,410 Posts

austin heart said:
Not true, the last office nurse position I took a $4.50 increase in pay from my ICU position. It all depends on what you are going to be doing, how much responsibility you will have and what experiance you have. I was an office RN that assisted 1 doctor in a 4 doctor group. I did his clinic, telephone triage and assisted with his hospital rounds.

Depends on the city. In southern CA, which the OP was asking about, there is a significant difference between the two. Hopsitals in LA are in the 30s per hour. No doctor's office for routine RN work.

Most office nurses do not make hospital rounds with the physician either.

The OP is also talking of being a new grad, which means no experience.

justmanda

justmanda

82 Posts

NursePamela said:
I just want to comment on justmanda's statement about being HARD to kill someone. NOT. It is very easy to kill someone. If you accidentally leave "regular" IV fluids open and bolus someone. That fluid could send someone into CHF and which could have a domino effect on their body. People in the hospitals these days are more sick than ever. It is very easy for someone not to be able to handle a not needed bolus. If not caught in time they could die! NEVER think it is hard to killl someone - that is when you let your gaurd down and you will kill someone.

People in the hospital today are just as sick as they were 50 years ago. And, you won't accidentally bolus your patient with fluid if you use a pump which many hospitals REQUIRE you to do. And, like I said in my post, don't ignore your patient. In no way was I implying that one should be lax in their duties or LET THEIR GUARD DOWN. But, if you go into work every day worrying you are going to kill someone, as many new nurses do, you will be terribly stressed -- unnecessarily. So, back to my earlier statement...if you can follow doctor's orders and manage your time...you can work in the hospital.

trishat08

trishat08, ASN, RN

Specializes in Med/Surg, Renal, Long Term Acute Care. Has 1 years experience. 2 Posts

What all were you responsible for when you worked with that doctor? How did you get that job?