Jump to content

How many hours do you spend....

Posted

Specializes in Emergency - CEN. Has 7 years experience.

How much time do you spend with patients versus doing paperwork?

  1. 1. How much time do you spend with patients versus doing paperwork?

    • 20% with patient, 80% with paperwork
    • 40% patient, 60% paperwork
    • 60% patient, 40% paperwork
    • 80% patient, 20% paperwork
    • 0-1% patient, 99-100% paperwork
    • 50% patient, 50% paperwork
    • 75% patient, 25% paperwork

28 members have participated

This is a poll to get a general idea of how much of nursing is at the bedside and how much is spent doing paperwork.

Paperwork indicates documentation, work on the computer, and

secretarial work.

Please indicate your specialty as one of choices below.

A) LTC/rehab

B) administration

C) acute care

D) ER/trauma

E) critical care/ICU

F) tele/stepdown

G) OR

H) preop/PACU

I) clinic/doctor's office

J) school nurse

K) education

L) other - please specify

Edited by Lev <3

SierraBravo

Has 3 years experience.

Acute care - 60-70% with patients, the rest computer work.

Other: home health

60% patient care including communication to coordinate and collaborate their care (I consider that case mgmt, not clerical.)

I don't work shifts and clock out which means the patients are not shorted but I may be working OT.

A&Ox6, BSN, CNA, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics/Psych/QI/Suicide Prevention/Regulatory. Has 11 years experience.

School nurse

Some days 80/20, some days 20/80. Most days, 80/80

BrandonLPN, LPN

Has 5 years experience.

LTC, I would say my time spent at the bedside is 80% or more. But where I currently work we practice some rather old-fashioned team nursing where the LPNs pass all the meds and do all the treatments, while the RNs focus on paperwork and on supervising.

Also, I think the more experienced you become, the faster you get at charting, enabling you to spend more time at the bedside.

Lev, BSN, RN

Specializes in Emergency - CEN. Has 7 years experience.

I guess I should answer my own poll. When I work ER and I would say 70-75% patient care. When I work acute care, I would say about 60% patient care.

Lev, BSN, RN

Specializes in Emergency - CEN. Has 7 years experience.

I'm sorry I should have included home health, public health, pediatrics and postpartum/l&d as specialties.

poppycat, ADN, BSN

Specializes in pediatrics; PICU; NICU. Has 42 years experience.

Private duty pediatric home care. 75% patient care/25% documentation.

NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 43 years experience.

specilistHome Health Performance Improvement Compliance Specialist:

100% paperwork responding to Medicare denials + Insurance company audits along with releasing Medical Records for legal: attorneys and Social Security & non-legal requests: patient, DME and insurance companies, etc.

A&Ox6, BSN, CNA, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics/Psych/QI/Suicide Prevention/Regulatory. Has 11 years experience.

As a school nurse, I feel that even my 'administrative tasks' are clinical. Writing policy, researching best practice, and surveys, while typically considered administrative, are how I care for my population.

TheCommuter, BSN, RN

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych. Has 14 years experience.

• Acute physical rehabilitation at a freestanding rehab hospital

I would estimate I spend about three hours of each shift (25 percent) on patient care and the remaining nine hours (75 percent) on clerical tasks and paperwork.