job offer dilema

  1. Ok here is my dilema, Monday I interviewed for a job, one that I really want, yesterday I was offered the job at a great salary, great benifits and working conditions, its case management. M-F no w/e no holidays. Well I accepted it not realizing that the start date is in 2 weeks. I called my husband and told him about the offer, he said great only there is a problem, I have a wedding I have to be at the week after the start date, and a graduation the week after that, we have already paid the air-fare and I dont know what to do, I need to call them on Monday and with-draw my acceptence, and hope maybe they will offer to let me start at a later date. How do I do this with grace and not leave a bad taste in the recruiters mouth. thanks
  2. Visit pedspnp profile page

    About pedspnp

    Joined: Sep '07; Posts: 579; Likes: 254

    15 Comments

  3. by   whoknows56
    In this economy, why would you reject a good job offer? That blows my mind.
  4. by   pedspnp
    Because I have already committed to these 2 events that are out of state, and my family comes before my job.
  5. by   deleteaccount
    Since you knew you had these things coming up, you should have made them aware of it at interview time. I agree family comes first, however this is a situation were you may lose this job to another. When you accepted the job these are things you should have told them. Tough spot, but it's entirely on your shoulders. Good luck.
  6. by   HeartsOpenWide
    I would just call them and explain the dilemma, ask if they can change your start day to effectively after you come back. Can't hurt to ask. Be honest and say you got your dates switched. IF they won't then you have to decide what is more important, a job that could last you years or a few day event.
  7. by   whoknows56
    Quote from np2b?
    Because I have already committed to these 2 events that are out of state, and my family comes before my job.
    I understand that, however, in this economy your new job offer needs to take priority. In the old days I would say not to worry much about it, but I wouldn't say that in today's envrionment. You are free to call and talk to them about the situation, but don't say you want to reject it. Just see if you can rearrange the starting date. If you already signed a contract saying you are starting on this specific day, they are already expecting you to be starting on that day. I just don't want you to lose this new job offer or get off on the wrong foot at the new job.

    Whatever happens, good luck.
  8. by   caliotter3
    Quote from np2b?
    Because I have already committed to these 2 events that are out of state, and my family comes before my job.
    Well, I guess you have answered your own question. Just write a letter to rescind your acceptance and call them to let them know your decision and be done with it.
  9. by   artist-rn
    My suggestion is to call the person who hired you first thing on Monday morning, explain the situation, apologize profusely and request a later start date. Instill a little humor when making your request...a little laughter goes a long way. I think people are more understanding then we think. Don't even think about rescinding your acceptance - just talk to the person. Much luck.
  10. by   rn4ever?
    "i need to call them on monday and with-draw my acceptence, and hope maybe they will offer to let me start at a later date. "

    do you want the job or not? you have to make up your mind. in today's economy, i would be afraid to play mind games with the recruiter---like telling her that i don't want the job and later on hope that she begs me to accept it.
  11. by   lilia123
    In the excitement of this job offer and willingness to accept it, you completely forgot about your family obligations...i would say this to the recruiter. Family comes first ...not $$...just remember your family obligations during job interviews. enjoy your family events and good luck to you on your new job:spin:
  12. by   Oz2
    Would your family not understand your absence since you have been offered a job that you describe as one you really want? Or do they, unlike you, put themselves first?
  13. by   pedspnp
    I never said I did not want the job, read the first line. I am not trying to play mind games with anyone. If they dont offer to let me start at a later date and withdraw the offer so be it, my husband told me not to lose any sleep over it. I certainly will not grovel for the job.
  14. by   pedspnp
    Quote from Oz2
    Would your family not understand your absence since you have been offered a job that you describe as one you really want? Or do they, unlike you, put themselves first?
    Of course they would, but my family not $$$ comes first. Never has never will. I certainly would not be a nurse if $$$ was the incentive

close