Hep B & C

  1. I need some info from some of you brainiacs! I just stuck myself with a used lancet that I had just obtained a FSBS from a known Hep B & C resident.
    Last needle stick I got was when I worked at one of our local prisons.My antibiodies were high enough then that I did not have to worry about contracting Hep B. But I don't know much about Hep C. The inmate did not have Hep C. I don't want to fill out an incident report if I don't need to-I'm suppose to be perfect!
    Any suggestions? Input?
  2. Visit Cubby profile page

    About Cubby

    Joined: Aug '01; Posts: 444; Likes: 26
    worker bee


  3. by   Huganurse
    FILL OUT THE INCIDENT REPORT AND GO SEE YOUR OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSE ASAP. I know what it's like to stick yourself with a dirty needle. Not fun. Hep C is a bloodborne pathogen. Protect yourself! The ramifications of not filling out the report could be detrimental to your livelyhood. Your reputation will heal. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Last edit by Huganurse on Jun 30, '02
  4. by   Huganurse
    Also, you can check the CDC website for more information.
  5. by   Nurse Ratched
    You need to fill out that report. While I have no idea of the probability of transmission for this type of exposure, it obviously is bloodborne and you should follow the appropriate procedure outlined by your facility.
  6. by   sunnygirl272
    fill it out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. by   jccarolina
    Please fill it out ASAP!!!!!!! Altho there is a cure and vaccine for Hep B there is none for Hep C. Trust me, I was diagnosed with Hep C 3 weeks ago and have had info over load on the illness since then. Hep C is a very serious illness, w/ a 10-20% chance of remission success w/ the drugs available. 70-80% of people become chronic carriers that can lead to cirrosis and liver failure. The anti-viral are VERY EXPENSIVE and if it was contracted via work, unfornately you will want the help of occupational health. (sorry if that sounds mean) My prayers are with you and I hope and pray any and all tests done come out NEG., If your test are to come out pos. unfornatully, please pm me for any support or if you are in need of an listening ear. All the best to you...
  8. by   Rustyhammer
    Did we mention you should fill out an incident report now???
  9. by   SmilingBluEyes
    i wish you well; please update us to how you are doing....good luck!
  10. by   Jenny P

    You stabbed yourself with a dirty lancet; a medical devise that is made to draw blood. Don't screw around with ANY needle stick (or sharps stick) these days-- It just isn't worth it!
  11. by   jayna
    Are you imunized against these two diseases?

    If not then it's good to be vaccinated too and write incident report.
  12. by   NurseDennie
    Fill out the incident report. You really need to have your titer checked, and see if you need prophylaxis.

    Nobody's perfect - I hope you've already done it, because where I work if you wait more than 24 hours, then they don't pay for anything that you need in connection with that injury/problem/whatever.


  13. by   oramar
    I hear there is a Hepatitis C vaccine being used in Europe but it is not used here, not much at least. That is why you will find some people talking about there being no vaccine for C and other saying "why aren't you vaccinated?"