Anyone know this condition?

  1. Well...we have a pt who has a condition that the docs can't put their finger on. She gets multiple abscesses in the genital, perineal, and thigh regions. They are chronic; she gets them in clusters and they range from the size of a pea to the size of a gulf ball. When they burst...they are rotten!!! Anyone ever heard of a condition like this?
  2. Visit nursedudeforchrist profile page

    About nursedudeforchrist

    Joined: Nov '07; Posts: 35; Likes: 21


  3. by   santhony44
    Hidradenitis suppurativa?
  4. by   nservice
    I don't know, but can't Crohns patients frequently get boils in those areas?
  5. by   Fonenurse
    Also diabetics are more prone to these types of incidents, especially if not well controlled. Poor patient. Hope all settles down for them.
  6. by   NurseCard
    Quote from santhony44
    Hidradenitis suppurativa?
    Hmmmm... I've been diagnosed with this. The "places" that I get though are generally not infected; they seem to be like big blood blisters and I get them wherever my skin rubs against something.

    So I could have actually gotten an incorrect diagnosis. I need to look that condition up on the Internet.
  7. by   kukukajoo
    My SIL has this and it is very debilitating to her as she constantly needs surgeries and has much pain and discomfort from this.
  8. by   NurseCard
    I just did a little research. It probably is what I have, but it doesn't bother me that much really. I get places that are really rather painful at times, but if my everyday life I don't think much about them. The problem does get better when I lose weight (my weight tends to yo-yo.... not healthy I know )
  9. by   nightmare
    Sounds like a resident we had with diabetes.She had a severe form of folliculitis which resulted in these awful lumps and boils in her groin ,upper thigh and abdominal area. some of them came up and burst,others just formed,"blind lumps" and were very painful.
  10. by   nursedudeforchrist
    I have never seen anything like it. The large one inside her labia came to a head and burst; the puss was bloody, smelled like you wouldn't believe, and if we had collected all of the puss, we would have gotten at least a few ounces of it. I'm in awe; the docs said that she has something called "piniculitis" (spell); not funiculitis. I looked this condiotion up and found nothing.
  11. by   Ivanna_Nurse
    Try Panniculitis maybe?? That is an inflammation of the adipose tissue. Hope you find what you are looking for, I know it drives me nuts! ~Ivanna
  12. by   barefootlady
    Have seen this before, patients are generally diabletic, need strict diet control, long course of IV antibiotics, and good hygiene. Of course pain meds for awhile. Last one I saw with this had a infection so large and deep it required some major surgery to the area for reconstruction. Feel sorry for these people.
  13. by   blueheaven
    panniculitis, its where the skin fold of the abdomen flops over and the skin rubs together and causes infections. I'm trying to think of the name of the condition of the disease that a patient of mine had...but I can't remember it!!!!! When I think of it at 2 am, will post it.....LOL