Adn Or Bsn?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Renal.

I was just wondering, what is the difference between an ADN (RN)and a BSN (RN), besides the fact one is a 4 year and one is a 2 year program?

From what I have been told (I am only a student so I can not confirm) BSN move up the ranks faster and make a small amount more in some states, more in others. I think one of my nurse friends says it is 13 cents more an hour at her hospital.

Originally posted by det01

I think one of my nurse friends says it is 13 cents more an hour at her hospital.

I'll bet they're NOT beating down the doors at that hospital :chuckle. I always thought that BSN had more opportunity to do management and research "stuff". I plan on doing an accelerated RN to BSN program in my area that takes only 9 months to complete :D

bsn does open some doors for you, especially in management and supervisory positions alsoin specialty areas

My answers come from asking this question to a ton of nurses:

--There is no difference skill wise. One nurse manager told me she preferred to hire ADN's (this is local keep in mind) from my school.

--SOME places (not anywhere around here--ohio) will pay extra for a BSN. Some places it's significant, others it's a small amount.

--The biggest thing a BSN will do is open up more for you down the road. You may decide you're interested in management, want to go to grad school, etc.

The only other thing I can add is this. When I posted this question on another nursing website 20 replied and all 20 said to make sure I got my bachelor's degree. Even if you get the ADN first make sure to keep going while you're still used to studying. Good luck!

Brian

Also, some certifications require a BSN. Ex: Med/Surg certification through the ANCC (American Nursing Credentialing Center) will certify you in Med/Surg with a two year degree and I believe also a diploma degree; the board certification through ANCC requires a BSN.

A facility close by gives an extra dollar per hour for the BSN prepared nurse. Most facilities that I have dealt with do nto give additional recognition or money.

I first obtained my ADN in 1998. I then worked toward the RN to BSN degree; I graduated from the local University in 2001. So far, I have been offered several positions that required the BSN but quite frankly I am busy working towards other goals in my career that are more important to me.

I feel very good about having gone the extra mile towards my credentials. Someday, I will probably want one of those positions that require the BSN; maybe not. Knowing that they are available to me, if I so choose, is empowering.

I work along side, CNA's, LPN's, ADN's, BSN's, and beyond; sometimes it is hard to tell who is the more attuned person to the decison at hand. Yes, ofcourse, education and license is mandated and important. What I am trying to say is a degree does not make you smarter or more capable in a given situation.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Know we will be heare to support you either way.

B.

Specializes in Obstetrics, M/S, Psych.

Many BSN degree programs are more theory focused. Many ADN programs produce nurses that are more clinically ready. I have found that to be the case on occasion, but I think in the long term, getting your BSN is beneficial. More education means more opportunities will open up for you.

Wow, this is awesome! On other boards this thread would be afire with flames!:eek: lol I am just now doing my prerequisites for my ADN here at the local Community College but am checking into the Rn to BSN program at a nearby University. It looks like there are a couple of extra prerequisites for the BSN that I can get done now at the CC. I spoke to some of the Nursing teachers, and according to them, out west there isn't all that much difference between ADN and BSN. I looked at the courses and I think I want more education before I go out there and start working as a nurse. I'm sure they cover some of it in the ADN program, but I don't imagine it would be as indepth as in the BSN, mainly due to time constraints.

I have no idea what I'd like to do when I graduate. I am really envious of some of you that KNOW! I'm excited about the possibilities out there! I THINK I'd really like HH or Hospice or possible LTC. I've spent a lot of time working and living with people with mental retardation and health issues and it's a blast, but I wish I knew more. I imagine that's what school is for?!

Thanks to everyone for such great information and support! I'd be lost without this forum!

Cheryl

Shoot, after doing some more research I found out that the University that offers the BSN program here in New Mexico states that you should have one year work experience as a RN before admittance to their program :crying2: I'm already 44 and just starting on my prereq........gonna be ready for Social Security before I get my BSN......:lol:

Cheryl

Specializes in LTC, ER, ICU,.
originally posted by 2amigos

shoot, after doing some more research i found out that the university that offers the bsn program here in new mexico states that you should have one year work experience as a rn before admittance to their program :crying2: i'm already 44 and just starting on my prereq........gonna be ready for social security before i get my bsn......:lol:

cheryl

please, don't :crying2:! there are some who started at your age and i am only a couple of years behind you in age, that have returned to school. there was one poster that said, but not their exact words, you will be older whether you go back to school or not. hang in there and keep the faith!

Having gotten first an AA and then a BSN from the same school, both were very heavily theory based. In some ways the AA moreso than the BSN. But the real difference for me is that the BSN program gave exposure to the intellectual underpinnings of nursing. That is how nursing got to be where it is, in the mess it's in, the work being to done to validate it's activities, the research that needs to be done. Ideally, a BSN program should not just teach theory as something imposed from the outside onto nursing practice but as that which directs and enlightens the critical thinking process out of which nursing practice flows.

I know how to do nursing according to theoretical models other than the one I was taught from, but I think nursing according to the Roy Model.

i have also heard that the "one year between ADN and BSN" requirement is being "forgotten" if the BSN programs aren't full because of the nursing shortage. this came from my clinical instructor (who attended the university that i want to complete at) and they have the same 1 year rule. so check it out....you may be surprised.

+ Add a Comment