Title of "BSN" on badge?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Does the hospital where you are employed print "BSN" on your name badge if you have a bachelors in nursing? The hospital I am employed at will only print RN and not BSN...I know it sounds petty...However, if I am working my tail off for the BSN..I want it printed bc I want to be darn proud of that! They say they don't want to offend the other nurses or belittle them??? I say "you want the BSN..go get it! They pay for it all anyways!"

I work at a local hospital as an intern while I am finishing my RN training. I am getting them to pay for the ADN classes and will have them pick up the tab for BSN as well. They pay 100% for both degrees as long as you sign a contract with them. If the BSN program is good enough for them to pay 100% tuition costs..why isn't it good enough to print it on your name badge? Do they not want to promote BSN? I think it is total crap!

Specializes in CCRN, CNRN, Flight Nurse.

The general public doesn't know the difference. To them, a nurse is a nurse is a nurse. Heck, some even think PCTs are nurses - and that's clearly printed on their name badges.

Does the hospital where you are employed print "BSN" on your name badge if you have a bachelors in nursing? The hospital I am employed at will only print RN and not BSN...I know it sounds petty...However, if I am working my tail off for the BSN..I want it printed bc I want to be darn proud of that! They say they don't want to offend the other nurses or belittle them??? I say "you want the BSN..go get it! They pay for it all anyways!"

I work at a local hospital as an intern while I am finishing my RN training. I am getting them to pay for the ADN classes and will have them pick up the tab for BSN as well. They pay 100% for both degrees as long as you sign a contract with them. If the BSN program is good enough for them to pay 100% tuition costs..why isn't it good enough to print it on your name badge? Do they not want to promote BSN? I think it is total crap!

it is crap and another arguement in support of the bsn being the entry level. dieticians don't wear bs on their badges, nor do physical therapists. everyone KNOWS they had to go to get a 4 year college degree to do their jobs.

Specializes in ICU, Surgery.

BSN is printed on the badges where I work. No extra pay for it though. Hmmm...wonder why DIPLOMA isn't on mine

I just want to make something clear..I do not mean to say that a BSN nurse is in any way bettter than another RN or LPN for that matter. All I am saying is if they can pay it..they can print it! I do not agree with their rationale. If they are gonna lie to someone..atleast make it a good one! I know it is different everywhere..but HERE a lot of our patients have a good knowledge base of what BSN or what RN or whatever stands for!

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.

Because teachers don't have BA, MSN, or PhD on theirs.

MDs, who may have varying certifications, and Board designations, don't wear them on their lapel.

Perhaps a BSN should act like a BSN instead getting fussy about having it printed out.

We can have anything we want on our badges......well, almost anything.

I have never seen any patient get overly impressed by a nurses badge. Just the quality of care they receive.

If you want, you can have one made by an engraver.

You are absolutely correct..it is the care they receive that is most important..not the degree held by the care provider. I see what you guys are saying. Well while we are on the subject...do your hospitals offer any extra pay for holding a BSN...I think it is few and far between to be honest..atleast in Ohio.

Because teachers don't have BA, MSN, or PhD on theirs.

MDs, who may have varying certifications, and Board designations, don't wear them on their lapel.

Perhaps a BSN should act like a BSN instead getting fussy about having it printed out.

I beg to differ. I have on more than one occasion have seen MDs with all sorts of initials following their names, whether on a badge or on a lab coat. So what...they worked hard and earned it, why can't they. I feel the same with RNs that get their BSN, MSN, or PhD!

I beg to differ. I have on more than one occasion have seen MDs with all sorts of initials following their names, whether on a badge or on a lab coat. So what...they worked hard and earned it, why can't they. I feel the same with RNs that get their BSN, MSN, or PhD!

I have BSN on my badge and when a patient asks me I tell them what it means. I see all the white coat nurses wearing their credentials on their lab coats. Why can't I.

My local hospital did not help me near as much as they did the LPN's who went to ADN programs and so while I was there I always signed BSN.

We had computer charting but when I wrote a doctor's order I always wrote RN BSN.. Just to pi** some people off.

I would have no quarrel with ADN's putting ADN on their badge.

And you can bet your sweet bippy when I get CNN I'll be putting that on my badge.

P.S. For those who want to put BSN on their badge I know of several good schools..LOLLL

I think when I graduate I want every single acronym I can fit on a badge. No matter what it means. I may even make some up just to mess with people's heads

I'll include ADN, BSN, CNA, BLS, ACLS and PAW

PAW - professional a** wiper (hard earned):D

Specializes in Emergency, Trauma.

At my facility its really up to the nurse as far as what she wants on her badge. Every RN I know has either ADN or BSN on it, and most also include the initials for any certification they have. Mine says RN,ADN, CEN, TNCC, ACLS. I'm proud of what I have learned. I don't have them on there to impress anyone; I earned them and it makes me happy to see them on there. (No, I've never had a pt ask what any of the initials stand for-they could care less)

+ Add a Comment