Stethoscopes

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hey, can anyone recommend a really good stethoscope? Maybe in the $100 range? I'm starting Clinicals in Jan and wanted to get a jump on it. Thanks!:confused:

Specializes in ORTHOPAEDICS-CERTIFIED SINCE 89.

https://allnurses.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1962&highlight=Littman

Check out these replies.

My personal favorite is Littman Cardiology III.

NEVER lend it to anyone! They take flight never to be seen again if you do.

P

Littman all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.littman.com

And P_RN is right about not lending it to anyone...don't even take it off your neck or it will walk away!

I have the Littman Cardiology III...more than $100, but I really like it. I used to have the Littman Classic II SE (I think that's what it is called). It's the $100 ish stethescope, and it's good too.

hey p_rn,..that's what i use too!!! :p although,...might be a little costly for a student. (boy do i remember those days!!) but if you always keep it with you,..would probable be worth it!!!! just remember,..they do grow legs and walk!!!!! :)

Just in case people want to borrow, what is the best reply?

Thanks

Christina

Specializes in ORTHOPAEDICS-CERTIFIED SINCE 89.

The BEST is "No I'm sorry I can't."

I guess second best is "Give me collateral, you left shoe or your wallet."

Specializes in LTC, MDS/careplans, Unit Manager.

I really like my "potbelly" stethescope. I found this little gem in a Dixie EMS catalog about 8 or 9 years ago and they are still making them. They are supposed to hear through 8 layers of clothing, can be used on children and can be used to auscultate fetal heart tones. Here is some info I found on them from the website http://www.dixieems.com

Lighter! So much easier to wear! Better sound quality! No extra parts to lose! Fits infants, too!

The Dixigear high-density Pot Belly head requires no metal bell to act as a sounding board, because it filters out external noise while it amplifies heart/lung sounds. This custom scope can be used on bare skin, or can be clearly heard through up to eight layers of fabric! Two types of eartips come standard assuring custom ear fit comfort. Your choice of designer colors to coordinate with your professional wardrobe. Full three-year warranty.

NOW WITH NEW COLDGUARD PATIENT COMFORT CHILL RING!

One of the best features of this scope...it only costs $34.95!!

It is under the "diagnostics" section of the webpage..then under "pot belly" I also really like the Dixie company. They deliver really quickly!!!

I hope this helps you!!!

Shari

I have a Littman Classic II SE, that my husband got me for graduation, it is wonderful--especially compared to the $30 one I had in nursing school!!! ;)

Do not lend it to anyone, definitely. And NEVER EVER lay it down. I sat mine down one early morning while I was eating a very late dinner. Well things got crazy (which usually happens at around 0500!) :rolleyes: Well before I knew it I was giving report to the on coming nurse, and unknowingly did not have my Littman...:o. A doc walks into the conference room and I notice that "his" stethoscopes looks similar to mine...but still after 13 hours of hell it has not hit me! Until I'm ready to leave...I realize that the doc I had seen probably picked up my stethoscope...well that doc had already left BUT I knew who he was and what patient he had seen. So I leave a note on that pt's chart about my missing stethoscope......well guess what...the next night I had my stethoscope. One of the CNAs found it--in a place I KNOW I looked-- in the patients that the doc had went in to see...along with 'sorry' written on my note that I left on that pt's chart.

ANYWAY, A Littman is great.....but be careful with it!! :)

Have a good day!

Tell them you have an ear infection, see if they want it then.

I endorse littman all the way, especially since they are rebuildable.

I'd wait until I graduated to buy myself a Cardiology III or maybe ask for it as a gift. Through clinical I used a a Sprague($20). I didn't have to worry about it walking off or anybody wanting to borrow it. And hey! It's good enough for the docs on E.R.! :D

...yep!!!....ear infection is a very good excuse...ear discharge..

Specializes in Med-Surg Nursing.

I say invest the money now and buy yourself a Littmann Cardiology III. They run about 120 bucks. The cheapest place to get one is from either budget hospital supply or redding medical supply. They are the ones that run those ads in the nursing magazines. I have priced this scope and those two companies are by far the cheapest. I have ordered from both companies and they both gave excellent customer service.

+ Add a Comment