HELP! Ink on school uniform

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi All,

Doe anyone have any tips for getting ink out of a nursing school uniforms? I washed mine with a black gel pen and have blotched spots. I have tried carpet cleaner (turned from black to light brown), hairspray, and alcohol. I made due today with chalk of all things. I would appreciate any tips. I am willing to try anything since it will take 3 weeks to get another set of uniforms.

Thanks,

Arlena N

LPN Student 1st semester

Specializes in ER/Trauma.

Even alcohol didn't work? :eek:

I'd recommend CCl4 - but I'm afraid you won't have a uniform left :p

Ok - all jokes aside - have you given thought to one of those "detergent pens" that they keep advertising? Supposedly you apply the detergent (in the form of this pen) and it works wonders. I think Tide has one in its product lines...

Or you could just bleach 'em white ;)

Specializes in ICU, CCU, Trauma, neuro, Geriatrics.

spray with hair spray and rinse in cold water, takes a while and a number of sprayings and rinsings but it works on most materials.

Specializes in Peds - playing with the kids.
spray with hair spray and rinse in cold water, takes a while and a number of sprayings and rinsings but it works on most materials.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

I had this happen to me about a month ago.... I just went out and bought the same color scrub top and pants from a uniform store.... I took my patches off of my old uniforms and sewed them on the new ones

Specializes in Hospice.

I agree with those that suggested alcohol. I just wanted to add that you can usually purchase a stronger alcohol concentration at your local drug store next to the 70% alcohol... I think it's 85% or 90%. Also try saturating the ink spots with alcohol and dabbing (not rubbing) with stains with an old white cloth of some sort (something that you're willing to toss). Move the cloth to a clean spot for each dab. It takes forever, but it worked for me on a shirt where a pen exploded in the pocket- I think I watched an entire movie on tv in the time that it took me to clean the shirt. Good luck:)

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho.

Doesnt rit dye have something that takes out or covers up things like inks?

Specializes in insanity control.

Try taking a plain old coke and pouring over the stains and then add the rest of the can or bottle to the wash. Have used this trick many times with ink, grease, betadine, and blood. Have also used it on whites instead of bleach, Hubbys work pants (the pic is a pain in the orifice to get out), and kids cheerleading outfits. Just let it set for about 3 minutes.

kelly

Simple Green (use the concentrate, you can get it at Lowes) work well. It's is a non toxic, Biodegradable, safe, degreaser and cleaner. Works on all kinds of stuff.

Specializes in Pediatrics (Burn ICU, CVICU).
Hi All,

Doe anyone have any tips for getting ink out of a nursing school uniforms? I washed mine with a black gel pen and have blotched spots. I have tried carpet cleaner (turned from black to light brown), hairspray, and alcohol. I made due today with chalk of all things. I would appreciate any tips. I am willing to try anything since it will take 3 weeks to get another set of uniforms.

Thanks,

Arlena N

LPN Student 1st semester

What color is your uniform? If it's white, why not just get one of the Clorox Bleach pens and bleach the stain?

Is your uniform white and have you already washed and dried it? If so it may have set the stains. If they are white try the Clorox bleach pen. Works wonders. I have used it to remove blood and betadine and was pleasantly suprised. My strips and patches remained untouched by the bleach and the stains were gone.

Hope this works for you.

oxi-clean? zout?

+ Add a Comment