Heart Attack Grill (20/20 ABC show)

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in floor to ICU.

Thought for sure I would see an uproar about this restaurant in Az featured on ACB's 20/20. The waitresses wear slutty Media-type 'nurses' outfits and roll their bloated patrons to their car in a w/c after they gorge themselves on unhealthy foods. It was featured on 20/20s Gimme a Break last pm. John Stossel says Gimme a Break about nurses being upset over the image. IMO the person who was defending the "real nurses" did a very poor job.

Anyone else see it??

No, but ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! Give ME a break!

I'll admit that it might not do great things for our image, but I feel like we have a lot bigger fish to fry (no pun intended). Ratios/workloads, burnout, you name it. There are enough things to worry about without getting too upset over this one.

I actually saw this. The customers eat these huge greasy meals and the nurse wheels them out to their car in a wheelchair. She has on the slutty short shirt that is supposed to portray a nurse uniform. There is a sign outside that says "hiring hot nurses". The one waitress they interviewed said she was going to nursing school.

Oh, and the guy who owns the restarant is the doctor, so he wears scrubs and a steth around his neck, and everyone calls him "doctor".

Specializes in Acute rehab/geriatrics/cardiac rehab.
Thought for sure I would see an uproar about this restaurant in Az featured on ACB's 20/20. The waitresses wear slutty Media-type 'nurses' outfits and roll their bloated patrons to their car in a w/c after they gorge themselves on unhealthy foods. It was featured on 20/20s Gimme a Break last pm. John Stossel says Gimme a Break about nurses being upset over the image. IMO the person who was defending the "real nurses" did a very poor job.

Anyone else see it??

Here's another recent allnurses thread about this. It's under the title "Oh my....." from earlier this month....

https://allnurses.com/forums/f8/oh-my-188918.html?highlight=heart+attack+grill

Also another about a letter writing campaign about this...

https://allnurses.com/forums/f100/nurses-hamburgers-worth-dying-184468.html?highlight=heart+attack+grill

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

i saw it, and i must admit, i thought i'd see of flurry of commentary in here as well.

the nurse representative was not especially articulate when questioned, and could have done a better job. but her points were valid. only nurses with licenses should call themselves nurses. and the "naughty nurse" image is demeaning to nurses. one of the reasons there is a nursing shortage is the way nursing is portrayed in the media, so i can see her point.

it's all too common for some people to say something offensive, and then when you're offended proclaim "i was only kidding! you need to get a sense of humor!" women have been verbally abused that way for generations. i have a sense of humor, and it's still offensive.

unfortunately, nurses are going to get more bad press for being offended by this.

Specializes in Acute Care Psych, DNP Student.

I saw this on 20/20. I think the show obscured the real legal issue. The state attorney general issued a cease and desist order for the restaurant to stop misrepresenting non-nurses as nurses. This was after notification from the BON. I thought 20/20 tried to make it sound like the state was cracking down on bad taste or disprespect towards nurses. They were not. Bad taste and disrespect isn't illegal. Misrepresentation of being a licensed professionals is illegal. I read the notice from the attorney general to the restaurant. It was just 'stop misrepresenting your employees as nurses'.

I think the restaurant owner is free to be the idiot he clearly is. He just can't misrepresent his employees as "nurses" while he's being an idiot.

Specializes in Looking for a career in NICU.

Maybe it's just me, I saw the same show, and the first thing I thought of was the girls were one step away from a strip club...nothing about nurses entered into my mind. It may be because their uniforms don't resemble anything nurses have ever worn. I think the same thing about girls that work at Hooters.

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

JS would say "give me a break" about the nurses being in an uproar, but not about people gorging themselves on food???

Duh, John, duuuuuh!!!

Specializes in Oncology, Research.

I am personally not that offended. Its not like nursing is the only occupation to receive this kind of attention. After all, we have naughty librarians, police officers, housewives, teachers and so on. We also objectify men in the same way. Hot construction workers, police, firemen, etc.

I have heard Sandy Summers from the Center for Nursing Advocacy speak and, honestly, I am not that impressed. I guess I would rather focus on something that improves our current working conditions. I have faith the majority of us is intelligent enough to distinguish between the fantasy and reality of nursing.

Specializes in ER, Peds, Charge RN.

I hope those cute 'lil nurses know CPR with those big nasty old pervs coming in and eating all that junk.....

I wonder if they use trans fats

+ Add a Comment