Anyone Up For Random FACT THROWING??

Let's have some fun learning. Each person should throw out 5 random facts or "things to remember" before taking your finals, HESI, NCLEX, etc. Students NCLEX Article

Updated:  

Anyone Up For Random FACT THROWING??

OK I know this sounds stupid but I have a friend that gets really freaked out before big tests like finals, HESI, NCLEX, and usually we get together and a few days before I start throwing out random facts at her. On 2 different tests she said the only way she got several questions was from the random facts that I threw at her that she never would have thought of!

SOOOOO..... I thought that if yall wanted to do this we could get a thread going and try to throw out 5 random facts or "things to remember". NCLEX is coming and the more I try to review content the more I realize that I have forgotten so......here are my 5 random facts for ya:

OH and BTW these came from rationales in Kaplan or Saunders no made up stuff:

1️⃣ A kid with Hepatitis A can return to school 1 week within the onset of jaundice.

2️⃣ After a patient has dialysis they may have a slight fever...this is normal due to the fact that the dialysis solution is warmed by the machine.

3️⃣ Hyperkalemia presents on an EKG as tall peaked T-waves

4️⃣ The antidote for Mag Sulfate toxicity is ---Calcium Gluconate

5️⃣ Impetigo is a CONTAGEOUS skin disorder and the person needs to wash ALL linens and dishes seperate from the family. They also need to wash their hands frequently and avoid contact.

Oh, ohh, one more...

? Vasopressin is also known as antidiuretic hormone

OK your turn....

1 Article   99 Posts

Surgical_RN08

177 Posts

Specializes in Medical, Surgical.

:D

1. dont give beta blockers to anyone with respiratory problems i.e asthma, copd.

2. periorbital edema sign of complication with impetigo (indicate glomernephritis)

3. Myocardial infaraction always relieve pain with morphine 1st. sometimes the choice oxygen will be in the same question. choose morphine.

4. positive sweat test. indicative of cystic fibrosis

5. DKA-KETONES IN URINE, FRUITY BREATH, KUSSMAUL RESP DIABETES I, HHNK-NO KETONES-SUGAR HIGH-DIABETES ii

doglvr

67 Posts

I think this is a great idea!

Here are my 5 facts. They're from Kaplan:

1. Herbs: Black Cohosh is used to treat menopausal symptoms. When taken with an antihypertensive, it may cause hypotension. Licorice can increase potassium loss and may cause dig toxicity.

2. With acute appendicitis, expect to see pain first then nausea and vomiting. With gastroenitis, you will see nausea and vomiting first then pain.

3. If a patient is allergic to latex, they should avoid apricots, cherries, grapes, kiwi, passion fruit, bananas, avocados, chestnuts, tomatoes and peaches.

4. Do not elevate the stump after an AKA after the first 24 hours, as this may cause flexion contracture.

5. Beta Blockers and ACEI are less effective in African Americans than Caucasians.

goodtlvc

3 Posts

Hi

There is a great study guide called Pearls, it just has facts (one liners) it was very valuble to me when studying for NCLEX, as our study group also did alot of fact throwing in a random style.

Specializes in ICU/ER.

Great idea, when my friend and I were preparing for Nclex we would txt each other short quick questions and wait for the simple one word answers to come back. Sometimes the simple quick facts are the best. You dont need to go all into the path to know that Hyperkalemia results in tall T waves, just know that it does.

Specializes in Family Medicine, Outpatient Pediatrics, IBCLC.

This is great because alot of times just knowing a little bit about something will help you make that crucial link! I'll come back for my five, I just wanted to say something silly about the hyperkalemia thing.

My lil trick: I think of a cartoon banana (K) waving under a tall tent.

And also w/Vasopressin think DIABETES INSIPIDUS!!!!

Surgical_RN08

177 Posts

Goodtlvc said:
Hi

There is a great study guide called Pearls, it just has facts (one liners) it was very valuble to me when studying for NCLEX, as our study group also did alot of fact throwing in a random style.

there is another one call frye's 3300 nursing bullets nclex-rn 6th edition..check it out

Surgical_RN08

177 Posts

1. for the myelogram postop positions. water based dye (lighter) bed elevated. oil based dye heavier bed flat.

2.autonomic dysreflexia- elevated bed first....then check foley or for impaction

3. any of the mycin's..check for tinnitus or hearing loss

4. cloudy dialysate...always futher assess and call doctor

5.osteoporosis prevention and mgt. choose weight bearing (walking) instead of calcium if both are choices.

Lorodz

278 Posts

LittleWing21 said:
I'll come back for my five, I just wanted to say something silly about the hyperkalemia thing.

My lil trick: I think of a cartoon banana (K) waving under a tall tent.

And also w/Vasopressin think DIABETES INSIPIDUS!!

Thanks for the mnemonic! it would help me. can some peeps post more fact tidbits and while you're at it please post some mnemonics.

Yeah this is great guys keep it up!

I'll post mine tomorrow for now I need to rest. night guys

Surgical_RN08

177 Posts

suzanne4 said:
Just posting this as a reminder:

You cannot copy things from other sources to be posted here without their written consent to do so as per the us copyright laws. and these are all copy-righted sources.

To say that they are from a certain source does not actually meet the requirements of this.

Please refer to the tos of this forum for more clarification on this matter.

Thanks suzanne,

Mine are from what I remember in school is that okay if we learned it but just remember???

suzanne4, RN

26,410 Posts

That is just fine, but when they are placed here and stated that they are taken from either Kaplan or Saunders, that is what gets into trouble with the lawyers and we do not want that.

Jules A, MSN

8,864 Posts

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Great thread. Check all these for accuracy before committing them to memory of course and feel free to correct me if needed. :)

1. Dilantin can cause gingival hypoplasia, advise good oral hygiene and freq. dental visits, IVP 25-50 mg/min

2. Placentia Previa is painless, bright red bleed

3. Abruption is painful, board-like abdomen

4. Need MAP of 70-90 to perfuse organs

5. Vitamin C can cause false + occult blood