Jump to content

CDC lists 6 new symptoms associated with COVID-19

Disasters   (979 Views | 8 Replies)

NRSKarenRN has 40 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

5 Followers; 10 Articles; 165,284 Profile Views; 14,901 Posts

CDC lists 6 new symptoms associated with COVID-19
 

Quote

 

Watch for symptoms

People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness.

Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms or combinations of symptoms may have COVID-19:

Cough

Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

Or at least two of these symptoms:

  • Fever

New symptoms added

  • chills,
  • repeated shaking with chills
  • muscle pain
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • new loss of taste or smell

https://www.CDC.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Hit With The Ladies has 4 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych.

165 Posts; 1,095 Profile Views

So basically they just added more general symptoms that are applicable to most respiratory diseases *yawns*... the CDC lost credibility long ago in my book. It's just fear-mongering and alarmism at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,882 Posts; 18,890 Profile Views

1 hour ago, A Hit With The Ladies said:

So basically they just added more general symptoms that are applicable to most respiratory diseases *yawns*... the CDC lost credibility long ago in my book. It's just fear-mongering and alarmism at this point.

What guidelines are you advocating be followed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,524 Posts; 37,871 Profile Views

Scientists believe that there are 2 strains of the virus circulating in the country.  Apparently they are not substantially different in illness or outcome. One strain arrived here via Europe and one from China. One strain is more prevalent on the east coast and one more so on the west.  I've read that there is a third strain variation associated with illness that has been identified. I think that was Cambridge University information, I'll try to find a citation. 

The evolving constellation of symptoms might represent the strain differences.  I suspect it more represents our growing intimacy with the disease. It's an interesting virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Hit With The Ladies has 4 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych.

165 Posts; 1,095 Profile Views

No point in having guidelines for something that has nonspecific symptoms and can't be diagnosed without a test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 2,524 Posts; 37,871 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, A Hit With The Ladies said:

No point in having guidelines for something that has nonspecific symptoms and can't be diagnosed without a test.

Covid patients are certainly diagnosed without confirmatory testing at this time in the USA.  Presumptive diagnosis is a real thing and associates the patient symptoms with a treatment protocol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,882 Posts; 18,890 Profile Views

I was surprised not to see diarrhea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 155 Posts; 433 Profile Views

Early on in the pandemic Chinese researchers released data showing a whole plethora of symptoms that their patients were experiencing; more than the guidelines referenced above. I have no idea why it has taken so long for this to become mainstream information. They were using CPAP as a supportive therapy in Italy to prevent the need for mechanical ventilation and I still see little mention of that stateside. 

Edited by anewmanx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DannyBoy8 has 4 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN.

192 Posts; 2,270 Profile Views

On 4/28/2020 at 2:30 PM, toomuchbaloney said:

Scientists believe that there are 2 strains of the virus circulating in the country.  Apparently they are not substantially different in illness or outcome. One strain arrived here via Europe and one from China. One strain is more prevalent on the east coast and one more so on the west.  I've read that there is a third strain variation associated with illness that has been identified. I think that was Cambridge University information, I'll try to find a citation. 

The evolving constellation of symptoms might represent the strain differences.  I suspect it more represents our growing intimacy with the disease. It's an interesting virus. 

There were two strains circulating as of a month ago, A & G, I believe, but don't quote me. One was more virulent than the other.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.