Jump to content

CBD Administration in School? Policy?

School   (2,437 Views | 42 Replies)

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

2,319 Profile Views; 136 Posts

You are reading page 2 of CBD Administration in School? Policy?. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

136 Posts; 2,319 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, Flare said:

There's only one FDA approved CBD product.  My state does not allow school nurses to admin anything that is not FDA approved.  Unless i got an order for that exact drug, then it's a hard pass.  No way am i risking my license by giving a kid a gummy bear laced with CBD that was most likely bought at a gas station or head shop

I haven't seen the product. I don't know where it is from.. but I have seen the orders from the neurologist. That's why I'm so on the fence. It's not just some mom wanting little sally to have it during the day..its prescribed for seizures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SandIsMyGlitterRN has 20 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

94 Posts; 408 Profile Views

Not legal in our state so we cannot administer it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UrbanHealthRN has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatric/ Community and Public Health.

206 Posts; 3,191 Profile Views

1 hour ago, kelleyk1991 said:

I haven't seen the product. I don't know where it is from.. but I have seen the orders from the neurologist. That's why I'm so on the fence. It's not just some mom wanting little sally to have it during the day..its prescribed for seizures. 

I'm hoping there's also an order for Diastat or something else during a seizure >3 minutes, no? If that were the case, I'd feel better about administering just the Diastat and leaving the CBD for use at home only. If the child is only to receive CBD during a seziure, that wouldn't be ok in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

164 Posts; 1,004 Profile Views

1 hour ago, JenTheSchoolRN said:

And this is what is legal in several states. I haven't encountered any students prescribed/ordered it, but do know it is legal for parents to give it for students diagnosed with epilepsy in my state. 

However, I know school staff giving it vs parents is very, very different. And right now, I think only Colorado allows school staff to give (and by school staff, I mean pubic school staff). Correct if I'm wrong, friend, though. This discussion intrigues me to no end. I'd be on phone with my department of health/school health department as well.

In IL, it is now legal and schools have to administer it if the parents request and go about it in a policy approved manner. It has to be in a form that will not become a burden to others (ie, not smoked). It has to come from a medical dispensary with labels and parents have to provide their medical marijuana card. 

It's a hot mess that I personally don't want to be involved in (I have personal beliefs against it in general as well as the fact that I have a health aid working under me that admin would have no problem having her give), so I'm praying it is a while before I'm forced to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

136 Posts; 2,319 Profile Views

18 minutes ago, UrbanHealthRN said:

I'm hoping there's also an order for Diastat or something else during a seizure >3 minutes, no? If that were the case, I'd feel better about administering just the Diastat and leaving the CBD for use at home only. If the child is only to receive CBD during a seziure, that wouldn't be ok in my book.

There is no order for Diastat. This is the only thing I've seen ordered. 

5 minutes ago, ihavealltheice said:

In IL, it is now legal and schools have to administer it if the parents request and go about it in a policy approved manner. It has to be in a form that will not become a burden to others (ie, not smoked). It has to come from a medical dispensary with labels and parents have to provide their medical marijuana card. 

It's a hot mess that I personally don't want to be involved in (I have personal beliefs against it in general as well as the fact that I have a health aid working under me that admin would have no problem having her give), so I'm praying it is a while before I'm forced to do it.

Medical marijuana is legal here,  but still illegal on school grounds. The state tells the schools to figure it out for CBD... but we haven't. Such a cluster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UrbanHealthRN has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatric/ Community and Public Health.

206 Posts; 3,191 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, kelleyk1991 said:

There is no order for Diastat. This is the only thing I've seen ordered. 

Medical marijuana is legal here,  but still illegal on school grounds. The state tells the schools to figure it out for CBD... but we haven't. Such a cluster. 

Oh wow, I have so many questions now....what kind of seizures does this kid have? Tonic clonic or something milder like absence? Does she ever have airway etc. issues during a seizure? Does the CBD really stop a seizure completely with this kid? What if you gave CBD but the seizure persisted- then what do you do? What if she went to the ER in status epilepticus- would the mom only want CBD at that point too? I was feeling ok about the neurologist until reading this. I just don't know that I would be putting all my seizure treatment eggs in one basket like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JenTheSchoolRN is a BSN, RN and specializes in School nursing.

2,660 Posts; 24,334 Profile Views

2 minutes ago, kelleyk1991 said:

There is no order for Diastat. This is the only thing I've seen ordered. 

Medical marijuana is legal here,  but still illegal on school grounds. The state tells the schools to figure it out for CBD... but we haven't. Such a cluster. 

What the what??

But I did go here to read more and learned it is FDA approved for two seizure disorders. However, it is a daily medication, not taken when there is a prolonged Seizure:

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/other-treatment-approaches/medical-marijuana-and-epilepsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

136 Posts; 2,319 Profile Views

Just now, UrbanHealthRN said:

Oh wow, I have so many questions now....what kind of seizures does this kid have? Tonic clonic or something milder like absence? Does she ever have airway etc. issues during a seizure? Does the CBD really stop a seizure completely with this kid? What if you gave CBD but the seizure persisted- then what do you do? What if she went to the ER in status epilepticus- would the mom only want CBD at that point too? I was feeling ok about the neurologist until reading this. I just don't know that I would be putting all my seizure treatment eggs in one basket like that.

It doesn't sound like tonic clonic. She hasn't had a seizure in a year, so I'm hopeful it won't happen... but I need to be prepared. She has multiple disabilities, non-verbal and wheelchair bound. From what mom states, they seem to be mild? That may be why they use CBD? I'm not sure. She already is contracted d/t her multiple diagnosis, but mom states the contracting gets worse, her eyes are close and she looks "tense" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

136 Posts; 2,319 Profile Views

She did have an oral rescue medication. Mom didn't know the name. She states it was causing issues so they discontinued it and started the CBD. (I'm assuming Ativan or Valium?). The mom states the doctor has never mentioned Diastat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Posts; 337 Profile Views

Remember this is still federally illegal. Our state says a nurse can administer, but we are choosing to protect ourselves and have the admin take control of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SchoolNurse91 has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in School Nursing.

136 Posts; 2,319 Profile Views

Just now, Meemsx3 said:

Remember this is still federally illegal. Our state says a nurse can administer, but we are choosing to protect ourselves and have the admin take control of it. 

CBD is illegal? I didn't think so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.