Jump to content

Bachelor`s in Psychology Struggling to Get into RN

Pre-Nursing   (1,997 Views | 25 Replies)

implathszombie9 specializes in Caregiver/Psychiatric Nurse AIDE/B. S. in Psych.

308 Profile Views; 36 Posts

Who else has or had a non nursing degree before they sought out to earn their nursing license? I am struggling as a caregiver/nurse aide and need to be able to support myself during a nursing program(if I get accepted into the LVN program at Bell Tech), the college I found has a 68% NCLEX pass rate for 2019 but through 2015-2018 their NCLEX rates were superb.

IDK what that means but they do not require pre requisites which is perfect for me right now!

I have read that some LVN employers would pay for you to get your RN license .

What kind of jobs can I work with a psychology degree until I get in the clinical field? What kind of work did you do before you became an RN?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there,done that has 33 years experience as a ASN, RN.

5 Followers; 6,305 Posts; 70,217 Profile Views

Getting into any  nursing school is not easy. 

Consult the college  that awarded your degree.  Some of your credits may apply to a nursing degree.  It depends on  whoever accepts your application.

Search the job boards for any positions that require a BSN in psych.

 

 Best wishes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNperdiem has 14 years experience as a RN.

1 Follower; 4,289 Posts; 30,099 Profile Views

Most of the people in my nursing school classes had college degrees. We were well-educated but unskilled. You are not alone or unusual. 

I really can't think of jobs that use your degree. I worked as a CNA and lived with my parents. The CNA job paid for community college nursing school and most of my expenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in school nurse.

1,629 Posts; 14,723 Profile Views

Human services agencies often hire folks at the BA level for entry-level direct care/case management positions. (Not to be confused with nursing case managers.)

Honestly, you'd have some job flexibility and opportunities if you got your CNA certificate and did that while in school. (Also, the experience would go well with your studies.)

Not too many places left that will pay an LPN to go through an RN program- there are a lot of new RNs already looking for work. (And now with the recession, experienced ones will soon be as well...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,250 Posts; 8,161 Profile Views

A 68% NCLEX rate is terrible. Why would you consider this school?  And why are you going for an LVN at this time?  What is your end goal with nursing?

Why don’t you consider an ABSN program?  If you are eventually wanting your RN this would be the most time efficient way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose_Queen has 15 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in OR, education.

12 Followers; 4 Articles; 9,462 Posts; 110,045 Profile Views

Moved to PreNursing Forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

implathszombie9 specializes in Caregiver/Psychiatric Nurse AIDE/B. S. in Psych.

36 Posts; 308 Profile Views

2 hours ago, Jedrnurse said:

Human services agencies often hire folks at the BA level for entry-level direct care/case management positions. (Not to be confused with nursing case managers.)

Honestly, you'd have some job flexibility and opportunities if you got your CNA certificate and did that while in school. (Also, the experience would go well with your studies.)

Not too many places left that will pay an LPN to go through an RN program- there are a lot of new RNs already looking for work. (And now with the recession, experienced ones will soon be as well...)

I don't have a CNA certificate.  I just have the experience. 

I'll look into the agencies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

implathszombie9 specializes in Caregiver/Psychiatric Nurse AIDE/B. S. in Psych.

36 Posts; 308 Profile Views

2 hours ago, LovingLife123 said:

A 68% NCLEX rate is terrible. Why would you consider this school?  And why are you going for an LVN at this time?  What is your end goal with nursing?

Why don’t you consider an ABSN program?  If you are eventually wanting your RN this would be the most time efficient way to go.

Sigh. please read the above posts.  ABSN would take longer than an LVN program. I need to be in the field ASAP. End goal with nursing really depends so many options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in school nurse.

1,629 Posts; 14,723 Profile Views

2 hours ago, implathszombie9 said:

Sigh. please read the above posts.  ABSN would take longer than an LVN program. I need to be in the field ASAP. End goal with nursing really depends so many options

The opportunities for LVN/LPNs is, and has been shrinking for a long time. No disrespect to practical nursing- I've worked with amazing LPNs- but that's just the way nursing is going. You state that you "need" to be in the field ASAP (what in the world does that even mean?) but the practical nursing route may leave you with a license and not many job prospects...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

implathszombie9 specializes in Caregiver/Psychiatric Nurse AIDE/B. S. in Psych.

36 Posts; 308 Profile Views

39 minutes ago, Jedrnurse said:

The opportunities for LVN/LPNs is, and has been shrinking for a long time. No disrespect to practical nursing- I've worked with amazing LPNs- but that's just the way nursing is going. You state that you "need" to be in the field ASAP (what in the world does that even mean?) but the practical nursing route may leave you with a license and not many job prospects...

Not in my area.  There are a lot of jobs hiring LVNs here in Houston.  Some of my nurse friends were LVNs before they were RNs. 

ASAP means... ASAP LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jedrnurse has 25 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in school nurse.

1,629 Posts; 14,723 Profile Views

8 hours ago, implathszombie9 said:

Not in my area.  There are a lot of jobs hiring LVNs here in Houston.  Some of my nurse friends were LVNs before they were RNs. 

ASAP means... ASAP LOL

re: ASAP- yeah, I know that. I was curious about the "need" part.

Did you mean you need a job ASAP? Because a search on AN will lead you to a LOT of posts from people who thought that nursing would be the end all and be all for their careers who then found out otherwise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

implathszombie9 specializes in Caregiver/Psychiatric Nurse AIDE/B. S. in Psych.

36 Posts; 308 Profile Views

On 5/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, Jedrnurse said:

re: ASAP- yeah, I know that. I was curious about the "need" part.

Did you mean you need a job ASAP? Because a search on AN will lead you to a LOT of posts from people who thought that nursing would be the end all and be all for their careers who then found out otherwise...

LOL no,  I never said being a nurse was the end all be all.  S

Edited by dianah
TOS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.