Your most amazing wounds and gore!!!! Anyone care to share? - Page 5Register Today!
- Sep 23, '02 by RN from OZI worked in a Neuro trauma ward and we had a man who had a cervical laminectony....we got him up one morning 3days post op and his wound dehisses from the base of his head to his shoulders.....pesudomonis....a bucket load of pus expressed out of it. It took months to heal with the wound vac dressing...you could see all the vertebra and the base of his skull at the worst stage.
A motor bike accident victim....traumatic amputation of the leg from the groin.....and total body gravel rash....contracted MRSA
we had to give him entanox gas to do the dressings, his hip joint was exposed and we were picking gravel out of his back for weeks.
- Sep 23, '02 by dawnglovesOriginally posted by JonRN
We once had a s/p CABG guy in the SICU whose sternum became infected requiring removal of his sternum. We had to do wet to drys right on his heart. If he took a deep breath, your fingers would be entrapped until he breathed again. You could actually take his pulse right off of his heart when the dressing was out.
- Sep 23, '02 by JonRNThese must be fairly common, sorry I stole your thunder. Makes me wanna rush out and get a CABG
- Sep 23, '02 by traumarnswell lets see, i love pus and drainage. totally get my rocks off for ANY I&D.
became known as the I&D queen in the er.
i actually smell my wound dressings to see if i can smell anything bad.
anyway there is one that actually turned me a bit green.
I don't like eyes. hate irrigating them with the morgan lense. scratch corneas make my eyes hurt....
so both my stories relate to eyes.
first guy. lil old man, with thick GLASS glasses, fell at a department store, one of the lenses broke, he was brought in with bandage over his eye. as the doc and myself removed the bandage, we found NO EYE BALL, but a fairly large piece of glass protruding from the orbit.
the glass had punctured his globe, and all that was there was a mass of white, yellow rubbery material, you could see his iris, and pupil.
he was transfered to the hospital down the street for emergent eyeball removal. bluch.
second story. gsw, well actually murder/suicide.
the ex husband went to the exwifes house. saw her and her boyfriend outside. husband shot both bf and wife. then himself.
bf died at the seen.
trauma rm 2 was the wife, she was filleted open, not the usual cut the chest from xyphoid to under left axilla. they did a sternotomy. got to do cardiac massage on her. pretty cool anatamoy lesson.
husband in trauma rm 3. his face was pretty much blown off and his left eye was just hanging out, attached only by what i could tell may have been his optic nerve.
during chest compressions, you could see the eye go back and forth into the socket. when somebody pushed down, his eye would come out. it would go in (not all the way mind you) when the compression was relaxed.
i had to excuse myself from that room.
sadly to say, neither survived.
had the lady with abdominal pain. she was homeless. spoke no english. smelled. the doc did NOT want to do a pelvic, but wanted a straight cath urine. (all women with abd pain, got pelvics, regardless) anyway went to cath her, AND OMG I ALMOST FELL OUT. the smell, (that is one smell in the nursing profession i never want to witness again!) she had open pustules, pus coming out her urethra and vagina, not discharge, green/orange pus. she got a pelvic, and tested for ALL the stds, and bought an admission to the floor.
- Sep 23, '02 by kidsI am getting out of practice. I used to have a cast iron stomach...last night I had to close this thread because I was having trouble eating BBQ chicken while reading it.
- Sep 23, '02 by Beach_RNOK....traumarns! I just about almost Hurled with that last one Oh my gawd!
- Sep 23, '02 by traumarnsOriginally posted by B_Matt
OK....traumarns! I just about almost Hurled with that last one Oh my gawd!
- Sep 23, '02 by renerianThe grossest wound I had to clean out was a direct admit from ER, thank you so much, which had an elderly woman in a condemed home with zero water and cellulitis which had deep sores infested with tons of maggots.....there were even maggots under her armpits.........I had to douse a surgical mask with alcohol to stand the smell......... we used three small bars of soap to clean her up.................shivers still........
- Sep 23, '02 by ktwlpnEw! EWW! EWWW! Love this stuff! I have seen(and smelled) my share of gangrene(wet and dry) necrotic wounds (open cancerous ulcers-yech)and smelly dirty patients...BUT-The worst 2...We had a young smelly street person junkie non-compliant IDDM..Not a very nice guy.Anyway-He had come in with a boil on his shoulder and after the I&D he was an anatomy lesson...Open down to his waist to the bone and with MRSA...He was a smoker-walked all over that hospital leaving a trail of pus drenched dressings.....No home,no job etc...our dc planner worked very hard for him -got him meds and supplies for free,a job(washing dishes in a diner)a place to live...When he was discharged we were waiting for his insulin and syringes to come-they were being donated by one of the big drug companies.He ran out of smokes-told her "F*ck you-I'm leaving"and started walking....Never saw him again-every surgeon on staff refused to touch him when he presented to the ED after that-he ended up at another local hospital...The other case I will never forget was a mentally challenged diabetic women in her late 30's from a local group home...Came in with a boil (yes-another boil) in her abdominal fold and out of control sugars....This tiny little boil started oozing the SMELLIEST crap I have ever smelt-could smell it when you came off of the elevators...I had her for a few days (IV antibx and a K-pad)and one afternoon all of her consulting docs showed up-one after another...poking and prodding that smelly fat belly...Leaving the solied dressings on the bed,the floor....Procrastinating...Finally-end of the day-she goes to the OR...a few hours later I hear she is going to the ICU-I took her stuff over-she was on a vent and open from her zyphoid process down to her groin...they said that when the surgeon made the first cut the vile crap geysered up onto his MASK.....They flushed her cavity all night and choppered out to a university hospital the next day-she did not survive...Last edit by ktwlpn on Sep 23, '02
- Sep 23, '02 by renerianYUCKOOOOOOOOOOO>........... gore stories!! I LOVE IT