What to do-BSN or job first?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I just started ADN and am looking towards BSN. I have a BA so BSN would take less time. I'm wondering if after graduation if it's better to immediately continue to the BSN or start interviewing for jobs and hold out for tuition reimbursement? Any info appreciated!

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Hello.

I went for my first job after my ADN, and am completing my BSN online at Capella University via their FlexPath program; I hope to have my BSN done in 9 months or less for a combined cost (ADN + BSN) far less than the cost of a BSN at many schools. If it matters, I work on an intense cardiac telemetry unit at a major hospital in the area where my wife and I live.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Was tuition reimbursement a factor for you?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I recommend getting a job first.

1. Tuition reimbursement

2. You'll only be a new grad once. If you can get into a new grad program now, do it. If you delay working until after you finish your BSN, there will be a big gap between your clinical experiences and your first job. Some employers might hesitate to hire you because of that gap.

But if you are unable to get a decent job now, going back to school immediately is not a bad back-up plan.

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.

OP, your user name suggests you're a nurse. Your post indicates you have just started an ADN program.

Per TOS you cannot use nurse in your user name if you are not a nurse.

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.

For me I'm happy with an ADN & my hospital doesn't require a BSN. The $1 am hour extra isn't enough to make me go back to school for a THIRD time. I would sign up for the tuition reimbursement at work & sign my soul away, but that's just my opinion.

I suggest you skip the ADN program all together and go the Accelerated BSN route. It will save you time and money in the long run. Although if you're already in an ADN program that might be a hassle.

Have you looked into CareerSource? Not too long ago I heard someone talking about how they will PAY for nursing school. I just looked it up and it's the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), a federal program. You'll have to look it up on your own to confirm whatever it's called in your state, but from what I just read all you have to do is be 18 and eligible to work in the US.

Specializes in NICU.

For tuition reimbursement you usually have to be employed for one year,not a bad deal in some places.It depends on your financial situation,it is always better to get everything done and over with and then concentrate on your career if you can afford it.

We get 6000/year for tuition max.Does not cover everything.

I just graduated from an ADN program. Some of my classmates are doing both--they're starting BSN programs this month, while getting ready to start their new jobs.

I can't afford to start going to a BSN program right now due to finances, but I'm also cognizant of the fact that having my acceptance into a BSN program is going to make me more attractive to employers. So it's a catch-22 for me.

what hospital do you work at that allows ADN's to work? In Massachusetts and surrounding states you have to have a BSN to work in a hospital.

+ Add a Comment