HELP!!

Nurses Criminal

Published

I received a ticket of battery by slapping on my co-worker's face, she called the police, and police arrested me, did finger print, photo, sent me home.

I have no hx of criminal record, no hx of argument with my colleague, no hx of physical contact with anyone.

I was hired by this small company, I realize that this company has some issues at the beginning: very disorganized, like gossip mill, something that we discuss during the interview, later outside knows them already. there are only two PD nurse. We did not get along from very beginning, during the first week of my work, my co-worker complained to my manger because I went to break room to drink water (the office is not allowing to put any water cups) and she could not find me, when she trained me, she gives the minimum, but picking on any flaws to report to manager. According to my colleague: she's rude, bossy. according to my manager: she is dominant. We both are Chinese, she received her nurse education in China, and have over 10 years of experiences, I received my ADN in America by working hard and long time (over 10 year) and has worked 1 yr as RN. She is not only speaking very poorly English, but has no concept of manner, respect, privacy, limits and very negative, poison according to my opinion. Over three months of period, I was pissed because she always tries to involve with my patient care, there was one time that she makes an appointment for my patient without asking me, when pt came, I was out for the lunch, she's waiting for me at the parking lot. she's also been following me around, there is one time that I was in the restroom, she is waiting outside the restroom, told me that there is patient waiting for me. She's often read over my shoulder and trying to see what I was doing.

I have several conversations with hiring manager over a month period, told her the situation was difficulty for me and I feel violated many times, manager said these are cultures thing” and she understands that my co-worker treats me as a threat. She arranged” some changes but nothing has happened till incident occurred (according to arrangement, I wrote resign letter and gave two weeks' notice, apply the position of hemo RN) But the following Monday, manager changed her mind, said you can't resign like this, l like you, I know you, I don't know the new hire, I have not decided if I would hire the trainee or not, What makes it's hard to accept for me was the behavior that my co-worker has been deliberately to damage my professional integrity, which I have been working so hard and so long for. One of my co-worker came to me and told me that she's spread bad words about me. two of my patient warned me be careful of her. After this I asked to resign one month ago. When this happened again, I lost my control, slapped on her face. The company terminated me.

Now I have hired an attorney to deal with the ticket, he is confident to dismiss the case, of course can't be guaranteed. I had two interviews and one coming interview. My concern is the background check will show my arrest record, what will happen? How should I handle this? How do I explain why I was terminated by this company? What this will impact on my future?

I learned serious lesson from this, I thought if I focus on my patient care, focus on my performance, let my professional attitude tell my colleague and my patient who I am, I do not need to care what she said. Over three month of time, I have been taken deep breath, trying to suck it up. The fact is my patients like me, and my colleague like me, and I believe this make her very jealous.

I'm no nurse yet, But in general.. you got 'charged' for a crime and thats a serious thing and more than likely you will have a criminal record for battery against a Coworker. Which is probably going to make it extremely hard to get hired by any company / hospital because having a criminal record is usually a no no.

1. My concern is the background check will show my arrest record, what will happen? - Chances of getting hired are low. Having a criminal record is never good for employment especially within the healthcare field.

2.How should I handle this? How do I explain why I was terminated by this company? -Well you let your emotions get the best of you and you hit a coworker which will probably show the employer that you can't be trusted due to 'anger' issues and so forth. As well could make a employer think if you can hit a coworker what would prevent you from lashing out against a patient?.. Only way you can explain this to the company is .. Well.. A short summary of your side of the story (Which still doesn't look good on you) And that you let your emotions get the best of you resulting in you hittin your coworker.

3.What this will impact on my future? -​ Yes. Very much so.

My attorney told me that I have good chance of dismiss my case or otherwise will sealed in 1-2 yrs.

Specializes in Educator.

Wow - what a mess! As the previous poster stated you let your emotions get the best of you and it ended badly. At this point you have to hope your attorney is correct. An assault on a co-worker will be very difficult to explain to a future employer, so I would ask your lawyer for advice on how to handle that. You will probably have a rough road ahead of you. You have worked so hard to get this far - I hope that you are able to resolve this without too much damage to your career.

Specializes in HH, Peds, Rehab, Clinical.

Laying hands on someone is inexcusable. NEVER appropriate. Battery is a serious offense, if your lawyer can't "make it go away" (really not sure about this, you ADMIT to hitting your coworker) it will be a definite hurdle in obtaining employment elsewhere. If you're convicted, be sure to report that to your BON if your state requires it.

I received a ticket of battery by slapping on my co-worker's face, she called the police, and police arrested me, did finger print, photo, sent me home.

I have no hx of criminal record, no hx of argument with my colleague, no hx of physical contact with anyone.

I was hired by this small company, I realize that this company has some issues at the beginning: very disorganized, like gossip mill, something that we discuss during the interview, later outside knows them already. there are only two PD nurse. We did not get along from very beginning, during the first week of my work, my co-worker complained to my manger because I went to break room to drink water (the office is not allowing to put any water cups) and she could not find me, when she trained me, she gives the minimum, but picking on any flaws to report to manager. According to my colleague: she's rude, bossy. according to my manager: she is dominant. We both are Chinese, she received her nurse education in China, and have over 10 years of experiences, I received my ADN in America by working hard and long time (over 10 year) and has worked 1 yr as RN. She is not only speaking very poorly English, but has no concept of manner, respect, privacy, limits and very negative, poison according to my opinion. Over three months of period, I was pissed because she always tries to involve with my patient care, there was one time that she makes an appointment for my patient without asking me, when pt came, I was out for the lunch, she's waiting for me at the parking lot. she's also been following me around, there is one time that I was in the restroom, she is waiting outside the restroom, told me that there is patient waiting for me. She's often read over my shoulder and trying to see what I was doing.

I have several conversations with hiring manager over a month period, told her the situation was difficulty for me and I feel violated many times, manager said these are cultures thing” and she understands that my co-worker treats me as a threat. She arranged” some changes but nothing has happened till incident occurred (according to arrangement, I wrote resign letter and gave two weeks' notice, apply the position of hemo RN) But the following Monday, manager changed her mind, said you can't resign like this, l like you, I know you, I don't know the new hire, I have not decided if I would hire the trainee or not, What makes it's hard to accept for me was the behavior that my co-worker has been deliberately to damage my professional integrity, which I have been working so hard and so long for. One of my co-worker came to me and told me that she's spread bad words about me. two of my patient warned me be careful of her. After this I asked to resign one month ago. When this happened again, I lost my control, slapped on her face. The company terminated me.

Now I have hired an attorney to deal with the ticket, he is confident to dismiss the case, of course can't be guaranteed. I had two interviews and one coming interview. My concern is the background check will show my arrest record, what will happen? How should I handle this? How do I explain why I was terminated by this company? What this will impact on my future?

I learned serious lesson from this, I thought if I focus on my patient care, focus on my performance, let my professional attitude tell my colleague and my patient who I am, I do not need to care what she said. Over three month of time, I have been taken deep breath, trying to suck it up. The fact is my patients like me, and my colleague like me, and I believe this make her very jealous.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Women's Health, Education.

Have you spoken to a nurse attorney? Someone who has experience as both a nurse and lawyer may have an edge that a non-nurse wouldn't.

Hi BuckyBadgeRN, I was trying to PM message you but it didn't let me. Anyway , i can message you? Thanks!

Does anyone knows how to find a nurse attorney? I am in Los Angeles.

Specializes in RETIRED Cath Lab/Cardiology/Radiology.

No one can offer any legal assistance via this forum.

Please do not ask for attorney recommendations. This is a serious breach of the Terms of Service.

However, do google "nurse attorney los angeles" and you should get some helpful resources.

Specializes in HH, Peds, Rehab, Clinical.

Sure!

Hi BuckyBadgeRN, I was trying to PM message you but it didn't let me. Anyway , i can message you? Thanks!
+ Add a Comment