Male Nurses in OB

Nurses General Nursing

Published

With in the nursing profession, it has always been viewed as a woman dominated field. In 1970 2.7% of all nurses were men, as of 2011 9.6% of nurses were men according to (Healthcare Traveler Newsletter Staff March 05, 2013). Men work in all different aspects of nursing, the one area that I have not seen or heard of many men working is in OB. I have heard many women and pt's say that they feel male nurses are more compassionate then female nurses; with that being said why are there not many male OB nurses? Is it due to a staffing issue with having to have a female accompany the male nurse into the room all the time? Is it female OB nurses not wanting a male nurse working with them? Why is that if male nurses are considered more sensitive and caring nurses doesn't it stand to reason that there would be more men working in OB?

I'm not sure how many women would be bothered by a male OB nurse. My guess is their hubby or boyfriend might have a bigger issue with it, than the woman would. Also I think a lot of men don't want to work in MB or L&D. Many females don't want to work them either. It's not the rainbows & sunshine many people think.

Specializes in L&D Ninja.

As a nurse, and a female patient, I can say it's 100% about being comfortable for me. While I know a lot of fantastic and compassionate male nurses, I wouldn't want them down in my nether regions during childbirth. During nursing school in my OB rotation nearly all my male classmates were told "no" when they told the laboring patient they were the nursing student for the day. I've also been asked by male urology patients for a male nurse before. I think it really comes down to feeling comfortable with your body, and maybe past events that skew ideas of nurse gender for patients.

As a nurse, and a female patient, I can say it's 100% about being comfortable for me. While I know a lot of fantastic and compassionate male nurses, I wouldn't want them down in my nether regions during childbirth. During nursing school in my OB rotation nearly all my male classmates were told "no" when they told the laboring patient they were the nursing student for the day. I've also been asked by male urology patients for a male nurse before. I think it really comes down to feeling comfortable with your body, and maybe past events that skew ideas of nurse gender for patients.

But yet most of these women have no issue with a male doctor down in their nether-regions

Specializes in L&D Ninja.

I'm the same way about male doctors, but you're right... most people feel there is a difference. Never understood that argument.

Specializes in ORTHO, PCU, ED.

This is definitely a can 'o worms issue. The male nurses I know would NEVER work in OB. Look at you like you're crazy if you asked them if they were interested. I never knew some did until some here on AN said they'd seen it. Don't ask me my opinion on it.

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

During my women's health clinical rotations in 2005, I saw a male L&D nurse who was working at a Los Angeles area hospital. According to my former clinical instructor, he was well-received and the only patients who refused him based their refusals on religious reasons (they were Muslims).

Depending upon who or whom you ask you'll get various responses as to the reasons why, but generally no, you don't find many male nurses in OB/GYN. Peds used to be the same but that is slowly changing.

Maybe it is a protective thing but many female nurses in OB/GYN get defensive (if that is the proper word) about "protecting" their patients. What from who knows, and as stated males make up or have made up the majority of doctors including post graduates staffing so what could be the beef?

There is one thing all male healthcare workers have in common and must guard against; claims of inappropriate behavior by a female patient. Physicians can get around this by requesting a nurse (usually female) be present during any examinations. Obviously male nurses may not have the luxury of pulling someone else to stand in the room while he does what needs to be done.

IMHO when it comes to male student nurses think it can come down to how the request is made to the patient. Some female nurses have a way of putting things either consciously or not that makes it sound almost dirty for male to observe/participate in OB especially L&D.

To be fair know plenty of guys who didn't mind spending their much if not most of their OB/GYN rotations as school sitting at the nurses station.

Specializes in Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.

Well, my experience as a patient tells me no man shall ever again perform a speculum exam on me. I would also request a female OB/GYN for all maternity matters. If I had a male nurse attending me I dont think I'd mind that quite as much. My male nurse bf however says, "Hell no," so it's got as much to do with the patient as it does the family.

Well, my experience as a patient tells me no man shall ever again perform a speculum exam on me. I would also request a female OB/GYN for all maternity matters. If I had a male nurse attending me I dont think I'd mind that quite as much. My male nurse bf however says, "Hell no," so it's got as much to do with the patient as it does the family.

I'm sorry you had a rough male doctor. The worst I had was a female NP. That being said, the docs that delivered my babies were both male, and my GYN now is a female.

The sex doesn't matter, just the hands.

I don't know any male OB nurses, but have at it, guys, if that's what you wanna do.

Personally, I had male gyn and ob physicians and good experiences. The bad experience I had was with a female OB after delivery - so there you go - gender does not always equal best care.

I think male nurses in OB/gyn would be a great addition and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. How are we ever going to change society 's stereotypes about genders if we do not start somewhere???

Specializes in ED, psych.

Huh. During the labor and delivery of both of my children, I didn't give a damn what gender my nurses or OB were ... just help me get these kids OUT.

Like Farawyn stated, the sex doesn't matter, just the hands.

My husband is a NICU APRN, and at one of the hospitals he works at, his presence is required for all births. He's never had a problem with anyone having him in the room in the 12 years he's been in the field (now... having someone from the NICU in general come on in during a no-complications birth usually has people concerned until it's explained it's just general policy).

Interestingly enough, almost all the males in my nursing class were working hard during our OB clinical to be involved during a birth, and wanted to see a C-section or lady partsl delivery.

+ Add a Comment