First, relax and deep breathe - this too will pass. Enjoy the luxury of a few minutes of reflection........
Professional activities during down times:
Be a team player - call front office and ask if there is anything that can be brought down to your office to work on? Calls to absentee kids? Top 20 kids with absences for the year? This will pay off when you need help.
Start your monthly / quarterly annual report - Don't let your achievements be overlooked
Start your own merit review for your supervisor
Visit your job description and rewrite it
Do you know your employment benefits - I am shocked by the number of school nurses find out after years on their job that their school provides benefits they were not aware of. Ask if you are eligible for tuition reimbursement, continuing education money, free membership in national association.
Read the recent school board minutes - who on the school board is a student health advocate, a fitness nut?
Start a immunization awareness campaign for the next school year - bring together your partners: PTA local paper, local health care providers, health department etc.
Check in with a phone call to the parents of your kids with chronic illnesses for an update or to just see how they are doing.
Start updating your health evaluations for upcoming 3 year IEP reviews.
Read Journal of School Nursing - left it at home? Login online and read back to 2002: www.nasn.org
Take a Online school nurse Continuing ed offering: www.nasn.org
Conduct a needs assessment
- What are your top 5 visits to health office?
- What are top 3 injuries in school?
- Calculating the average BMI of your school.
- What percent of the student body is over the 85%
- Use the School Health Index to evaluate needs in your school
- Use EPA IAQ Tools for Schools
- Conduct a teacher survey of health information topics they are interested in
- Ask science teacher when the research process lesson will be conducted - see if students can do a audit of bathrooms - water temp, towels soap cleanliness?
Ask your local school nurse association if they needs assistance -
Improve your school health office website
What software program do you want to learn? take a PowerPoint, Excel, word processing tutorial
Does your district own a Zoomerang or Survey Monkey subscription? Teach yourself
Write a newsletter item for the faculty or parent newsletter
Put together an inservice for staff
Start a Biggest Loser or fitness pedometer competition for staff
Apply for a grant
- Your school's PTA mini grant for a new text book or equipment
School Nursing: A Comprehensive Text
Protecting and Disclosing Student Health Information
LexiComp Pediatric Drug Reference
- Grants: http://www.nasn.org/Default.aspx?tabid=387
Write your state or congressional representative to advocate for the health of school children
Review the policies and procedures and compare to the latest evidence for practice