A&P 1 and MicrobiologyRegister Today!
- by SAHMBACK2SCHOOL Sep 23, '09Hello,
Is it possible to take A&P 1 and Microbiology at the same time? I'm planning to take it next semester but I don't know what to expect on any of that classes. What do they do in Microbiology and A&P 1? Which one is harder? I am currently taking General BIO and Psychology and BIO is taking up most of my time. I am not working but I have 2 kids at home ages 4 and 1. My 1 year old is so attach to me that it's sometimes difficult for me to find time to study. Can anyone please advise and/or tell me what to expect on each class I mentioned above. Thanks in advance!
- Sep 24, '09 by AVMaddI am currently taking A&P1 and MicroBio. At my school, both of these classes are pretty demanding. There's not a whole lot of homework, but there's loads of info to memorize and the tests are certainly intense. I also have kids at home (3 of 'em) and i work full time at night. I don't think i'd be able to do it if not for the help and support that i get from my wife.
A&P is all about the human body. Systems and their functions along with everything associated with the individual body systems. It's quite detailed. Loads of memorizing. MicroBio is the study of various types of microorganisms, from bacteria to fungi to viruses and so on. Again, loads of memory work, but the labs in Micro are awesome.
So, i would say that these two classes taken at the same time are managable if you're driven enough to give it your all. Plus you're going to need some kind of support network, whether it be through spouse or friends or church, whatever, just someone to help out with the kiddos while you study. And when i say study, i mean study you butt off.
Good luck to you
- Sep 24, '09 by JennaML2I also think that you will be able to take both classes. I took A&P 1 in the summer in only 7 1/2 weeks and I was also taking Comp 1 and Psy. I am now taking A & P 2, Micro and Health. I also have a 1 year old that seems to be attached to my hip and a 4 year old. I have a wonderful husband that watches the kids at night so that is when I get all my studying done. So I am sure that you will have to have so support. Good Luck!! You can do anything you put your mind too!!!
- Sep 24, '09 by SAHMBACK2SCHOOLAVMadd, do both of your classes usually have the exams scheduled for the same week? That's what I'm worried about is to find time to study for exams for both classes if they happen to be in the same week. If so, how do you manage to do that?? That is what happened to me this week. I had Psy and BIO exams on the same week and I didn't have enough time to study for Psy because I spent so much time studying for BIO since there are so many info needed to know for that class. I was wondering if it will going to be the same scenario for A&P1 and Micro too.
- Sep 24, '09 by espo44It's nice to see other moms with small kids trying to take these classes!
So here's my question.
I have a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old. I work 4 days a week. I am squeezing 2 classes in between all of this, but they are the "easy" ones, Human Nutrition and Developmental Psych. My question is... Next semester, should I try and take both Basic Chem AND Basic Bio at the same time? Both are the intro classes that I need to get into Biochem and MicroBiology, but I am scared because it's been YEARS since I've taken science courses.
Anyone have any opinions on this? If I don't take them simultaneously, it will probably put off applying to get into Nursing school by a whole year. But I don't know if it's smart to try and take both.
Any input is appreciated!
- Sep 26, '09 by AVMaddQuote from SAHMBACK2SCHOOLYeah, unfortunately there will be those weeks where you'll get totally raped with exams in all your classes. All i can say is take'em one at a time. Don't stress, just map out your study time and do your best. When i have multiple exams in one week, i study for the one that comes first in the week, focus on that subject as much as possible and then take the test. After that test is out of the way, start studying for the next one. Just go down the line and keep your head up. Remind yourself that it'll all pay off in the long run. Sometimes you may have to sacrifice some sleep, but you gotta just grit your teeth and do whatever it takes to get that A! Don't let your classes beat you. You are in control.AVMadd, do both of your classes usually have the exams scheduled for the same week? That's what I'm worried about is to find time to study for exams for both classes if they happen to be in the same week. If so, how do you manage to do that?? That is what happened to me this week. I had Psy and BIO exams on the same week and I didn't have enough time to study for Psy because I spent so much time studying for BIO since there are so many info needed to know for that class. I was wondering if it will going to be the same scenario for A&P1 and Micro too.
- Sep 26, '09 by kristi1111Well, to answer your question, I am currently at the end of my 5th week of taking A&P I and Microbiology together. I just finished an 8 day stretch where I had an A&P lab quiz, then a Microbiology test, then an A&P test and another A&P lab quiz and I am currently feeling pretty exhausted (I also work 40 hours a week.) However, I got 100% on both of my A&P quizzes and a 90% on my Micro exam (she told us the class average was a 74%.) I don't know what I got on my A&P I test yet because we will not get our grades until Tuesday evening.
I don't know if you can really judge what classes to take so that you won't end up with tests in the same week but I would reccomend if you are able to that you spread them out. However, I think it is doable if it ends up this way also (although as I said before, I am quite tired right now .)
Hope this helps.
- Sep 26, '09 by SAHMBACK2SCHOOLThank you AVMadd and Kristi1111 that is pretty awesome job you guys are doing considering you also have full time jobs. Are the A&P1 exams basically all memorization of the body parts or do you also need to memorize the definition of it? What about Microbiology, how are difficult is the exam, is it kinda like General Biology? Sorry to ask all those questions, but I'm just trying to prepare myself later on... thanks for your input.
- Jul 2, '11 by Nurse2b7337I had this same question!!! I have wondered if I should take any of these in the summer as it goes by soooooo fast. I don't want to put nursing off for a year and spread them out. I have four children but I don't have a fulltime job (outside) of the house. LOL!! I do have a supportive husband and my children are 17,14,13 and 8!!! They can pretty much take care of each other. I am seriously considering after reading these posts. You guys are such an inspiration!!!!
- Jul 15, '11 by HonnyBrownI took AP1, Micro and Precalculus in the Spring. I am also married with 2 kids.
I got Cs in everything and I am ecstatic that I don't have to repeat the classes.
AP1 lecture and lab were extremely hard. Micro Lab was impossible. I had good (not great) professors for both and terrific study partners.