How old were you when starting prereqs and did it discourage you? - page 9
by princesax11 11,238 Views | 121 Comments
I just turned 22 and a lot of people I went to high school with are graduating with a bachelor's degree this spring. So I am feeling a little discouraged and sad. I started community college right out of high school. I was a... Read More
- 1Feb 11, '13 by phoenixnimIt took me forever to figure out what I want to be when "I grow up." I had taken courses on and off at the community college, and I dropped out my second semester in, earning W's and one F. I finallyl faced my fear and went back to school starting last year, 10 years after I had dropped out! I will be 32 this year and have about 2 years of pre-reqs to go, doing 1 class a semester while I work full time and raise my kids. You are never too old to return to school.
- 0Feb 11, '13 by princesax11Mee9mee9, that is what I plan on doing. I'm just focusing on getting my prereqs done and getting into nursing school first. Thankfully the hospitals around me still hire ADNs because I am a few hours from any big cities so it would be perfect if I got a job and did the RN to BSN.
- 1Feb 12, '13 by futurernluveniaI started at 26 years old. Mostly only went to school during summer and fall break. Became pregnant at 27. Took a year and half off. I'm 29 now and will be applying to either a BSN or ADN program this May. I will have all my prereqs done except microbiology after this semester.
- 1Apr 18, '13 by Devin6xxMy aunt actually got her RN liscense last year, shes in her mid 40's i do believe! never too old to have a career, especially if you enjoy it! Im 19 will be 20 in oct. (but i have been out of school since I was 16 almost 17) I completely understand how you feel about classmates graduating, but also look at all of those kids you went to school with that are not even thinking about college and live with their parents? who cares what others think!
- 2Apr 19, '13 by MommaTyI didn't start College until 2007 for pre-reqs. I was 21. Took me 5 years to do my pre-reqs, I am 27 and I just got accepted into the ADN program near me. I have 5 kids, so I went really slow. I graduated high school in 2004. People always used to tell me I would never go to college blah blah. Look at me now. If I can do it, so can you
- 1Apr 19, '13 by 16mmI have the same sentiment as some in this thread. I will be (hopefully) 25 when I start nursing school. I dabbled in the CC's a bit after high school but would rather have enjoyed my new found freedom, so I only took a couple of college courses (fluff courses at that). Now all my classmates have gotten their Bachelors moving onto their Masters and it makes me feel bad about myself. This thread has helped a lot
- 1Apr 19, '13 by Kris10NoelI'm 27. I have an A.S. in criminal justice, a B.S. in biology and I just got accepted into an associates RN program for this coming fall semester (still waiting to hear about acceptance into a BSN program I also applied to). It takes people time to figure out what they want to do in life. How we're expected to pick a career choice at 17 or 18 is ridiculous! Don't be discouraged and go after what you love! One of the new nurses I work with is 63! She got her RN at 61. Age is not a factor, passion is. Enjoy!