To have a baby or not to have a baby
- 0Nov 29, '12 by MamaD0719I'm in my first semester of pre-reqs and I'm trying to figure out what I should do before I apply for nursing school. I have about a year left of pre-reqs and I haven't determined whether or not I will apply for a 2 or 4 year degree. I also have an 18 month old son and my husband and I are are debating on whether or not we should have another baby soon before i actually apply to nursing school so there isn't a big gap or if I should wait till I'm done with school. I know this is a silly question but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks
- 2Nov 29, '12 by Belle1005I would wait definitely! I couldn't imagine balancing two kids. I know some do it, but I think my grades would have definitely suffered as my one daughter (she is two now) was SO needy and attached! I had to stay up studying most days until 7am to get anything done and she wakes up at 9am. Zombie for the whole program.
- 1Nov 29, '12 by stephanneI'm actually debating this also. I am getting married in march and start my pre reqs in January. Originally we were going to start in April to try for a baby as I won't start nursing school until the next year. I just don't want to put my life on hold ya know? It's a hard decision!
- 2Nov 29, '12 by xxkmpxxI think since you are a year away it would be best to wait. I think a second child would make it twice as hard. I dont know your financial situation but I know without children myself, it's going to be financially hard anyways when our income gets cut in half once I start nursing school in jan. we would be screwed if we had kids financially while I was in school. And i know i would have way less study time. nursing school is going to be hard and i will have to make it priority 1. It sucks because my hubby is a lot older than me and pushing forty (i will be 25 when i graduate so ill be at a good age to start our family) but we decided its for the best; it will be nice to have kids while we BOTH have a steady income and can financially provide for our kids much better and give them a better life! Good luck whichever decision you choose though. Only you can decide what's best for you!
- 1Nov 29, '12 by zoe92I would wait. I was considering getting married before starting nursing school (boyfriend is in the military) but I decided to wait. I just need to focus for the next couple years, get through, still be financially dependent on my parents (which I wouldn't be if I got marrid) and then get married right after I graduate. And I mean right after lol. I think waiting would be a good choice for you too so you can focus on your husband and one child and getting done with school.
- 1Nov 29, '12 by calinursestudent818I worked two jobs while raising my toddler son as a single mom when I was in college and even though he was a very easy baby, it was really really really hard to get through school, I almost dropped out a few times--But not because of school issues, I liked school, it was trying to juggle it all that really made it tough to get through. I got married and I've had 2 more kids since then and know it will be even more of a challenge this time around when I go to nursing school next year but I'm ready.
If finances aren't an issue for your family living only off your hubbys income for a few years, I'd definitely say wait on the 2nd lil one. The age gap between kids may be a concern now but it'll be worth it in the end to wait. I have a boy and girl aged 8 and 5. I originally was bothered by the age gap between them because I always wanted to have my kids like 1 year apart max but now I'm actually glad I have the 3 year gap between them. My eldest is really good and patient with his little sister, they are best friends, they watch out for each other and get along very well. Of course that's now...the teen years may turn into a different story lol
So my vote is push through nursing school first, just really concentrate on that and then work on 2nd baby when you're done or when you are a few months from finishing nursing school start trying
- 1Nov 29, '12 by MewsinUgh it is so hard when you're talking about the second one. I already have 4 from a previous relationship(they are all 2 years apart of less) but I'm getting married this year and if we decide to have children, we are waiting until I'm done school. My issue would be, if I have one I will want two, closely spaced. So, if we decide to have kids, it will be after school and after 600hrs of work (so I can get maternity leave for the year, lol)
Good luck with your decision.
- 1Nov 29, '12 by meeepQuote from stephanneWow, that's fast! Enjoy some time as husband and wife, you won't get that precious time back for 18 years once you have kids!I'm actually debating this also. I am getting married in march and start my pre reqs in January. Originally we were going to start in April to try for a baby as I won't start nursing school until the next year. I just don't want to put my life on hold ya know? It's a hard decision!