Accepted into program...needing advice.

  1. 0
    Forgive me if this gets long but I need some advice from others...

    I applied to a community college to get into their 3 yr BN program. (A program that they aren't even accepting new applications at this time as they have enough applicants to fill seats for 2013, 2014, 2015). This October I got the letter offering me a seat in the program to start in August 2013. I've wanted this for so long and now I finally have the letter in my hand. Great right? Except about 6 months ago the husband and I moved 2hrs away for his new career. Accepting the seat for this program would mean me moving back and attending school and him commuting 3 1/2 hrs for work. He works 2-3 days a week so he'd stay out here for the days that he's working and then come back to the city on his off days. Which means I'd need to find a place to live in the city, and btw. school, studying, and his schedule we worry that we'll never see each other and what kind of stress that would put on our marriage. But if I went and did 3 yrs I'd finish mid 2016.

    Where we live now they have a community college that offer a 2 yr LPN program. I am in the process of applying for this but it's a 1 1/2 yr wait to get in. In the meantime I could start taking (a&p1, a&p2, medical microbiology, sociology, nutrition). If I got accepted into the program I'd finish mid 2016 as well.

    Being an LPN isn't a bad thing, and there are jobs here for LPN's but there are way more opportunities for RN's, and in the same amount of time (when you factor in the wait to get into the LPN) I could be finishing with my BN vs. my LPN.

    There is always the option to take the LPN and bridge at a later time however I'd have to go through 2 yrs to get my LPN, work minimum of 1 year, and then apply to get into one of the the LPN to BN bridging programs for 2 more additional years of schooling. (one of 2 of the schools that offer this only accepts 6 students per year).

    I'm 31, and currently my husband and I don't have any children.

    I know me moving back and the husband commuting (time apart) isn't ideal but feel like it would be a short term sacrifice (3yrs in the grand scheme of things) in the long run. He is VERY supportive of me going to school for nursing, but we are both nervous about what the time apart and stress of school will do.

    I know no one can make this decision for me but if you were in my shoes what would you do?

    *as a side note, I wouldn't be working while going to school. While we'd have to budget and money might be a bit tight finances are not something that worries us.

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights: Student Edition newsletter.

  2. 15 Comments...

  3. 0
    Would it be possible for you to rent a small apartment or maybe a room so that your husband wouldn't have to move (the gas money alone might be enough to offset the cost of renting a room) and you could go home on the weekends.
  4. 0
    If I was in your situation I would go for it. It makes more sense to go the direct route and get your bsn, especially because you we're already accepted.

    Does your husband work 3 days in a row? If so he will be able to be home 4 days a week, which is not bad. A girl in my class lives in different state than her husband because of a work school situation.

    Nursing school is going to be stressful regardless of your living situation. If your husband is supportive and willing to commute you should take advantage of the offer.
  5. 0
    @SycamoreStudent - I suggested that we keep the place we are renting now (we both like this town and would probably move back afterwards and buy a place) however he said and I agree it would make no sense to keep this place when a) I'd never be here, b) we have one vehicle and it's the one he'd be using to commute (I'll take public transit) so coming out on weekends would be pointless, and c) i'd need to be there for school 5 days a week vs. him only needing to be here 3 days a week at max, and last d) his job isn't a m-f job so his schedule is something of the sorts 2 on, 3 off, 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 4 off...etc. so just because I would have weekends off school doesn't mean he'd be off work.

    @blacksunflower - In my mind it definitely makes more sense to just go the direct route and get it done with, then I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get into another school later to get my BN, and also wouldn't have to worry about going through schooling once we have kids. As it is I'd be 35 when I finished mid 2016 so the clocks ticking but I'm choosing to put my career before having kids so as not to have the added stress of little ones (not to say it's not doable however I just know from plenty I've talked to (i work as a CNA/HCA in a hospital now) say do it before you have kids if you can).

    And that's what I brought up that regardless of where we live, or which route I decide to go nursing school is going to be hard, it's going to be stressful, it's not gonna be all fun and games, and that if we both really wanted this for me, and for us, then we'll have to just stay focused, prioritize and manage our time well, and remember to make the most of our time together.

    While he says that he supports me, I fear that after time he might get upset or resentful about having to make the commute and the time spent apart.

    I've never felt more torn in my entire life.
  6. 1
    I would just go for the BSN. Yes, it will be a long 3 years but you won't have to continue on with school after that.
    stefonee356 likes this.
  7. 0
    You can always commute. I commuted 1.5 hrs for two years. It wasn't that bad
  8. 0
    I would take the sure bet now. It's a definite three years and you're done. It just seems the more simple route to me. I think since you and your husband are so worried about the effect on your marriage that you'll be just fine. You're already communicating, seem aware of the possible issues and, as long as you both continue to talk about things as they come and make sure to carve out time together, you'll weather it fine. I think it would be more concerning if you both thought everything would be hunky dory, don't need to talk about it, nothing to worry about here. But since you're both on board with the plans and you're both talking already about the difficulties and how to overcome them, that puts you ahead of the game.

    Congratulations and good luck!!!!
  9. 0
    I agree with the others others. Go for the BSN. Besides, in the grand scheme of things, 3 years is a mere drop in the bucket. Maybe, since you'll both have full schedules, you should make a concerted effort for together time. Like weekly, bi-weekly, or at whatever interval he gets his schedule, you sit down and plan date nights. Not just "sit home and veg because you're both finally off and too tired to do anyting else" nights, but real honest-to-goodness date nights where you're out together and enjoying each other's company. Also, a regular "clear the air" session probably wouldn't hurt either -- a time with honest discourse between the two of you so resentment or hurt feelings don't have the chance to stay bottled up and fester.

    It may take a little extra effort to keep resentment at bay (especially with the stress of nursing school), but if you both keep your eyes on the prize and on the light at the end of the tunnel, knowing the situation is finite my help with making sure things stay good in the interim.
  10. 0
    I would go for the BSN. Marriages have withstood much longer separations (think of our military that is deployed) and you have the support of your husband which is huge! And who knows, maybe the time apart will make the days you are together that much more wonderful.
  11. 0
    In your shoes, I would take the seat.

    Before I did, I would do a lot of talking and planning with your (hm, my?, lol) husband.... which is sounds like you've done. Mine would not say he supported this unless he really did support it - as in thought is was the best choice for us and therefore worth doing whatever needed to be done to make it work. That he had concerns would be kind of a separate thing... either that we needed to think some more before making the decision or that we had areas that would need to handle differently that we'd been handling them. For example, with less time together, we might schedule time for each other instead of letting it happen or spend our time together in a different form than it had been - phone, skype, or letters perhaps, or picking out books on tape for him. Or deliberately choosing what we do with the time we have together. The "Love Languages" book could help with that by letting you both pick forms of expression that are the most meaningful.

    I would try to be as clear as possible about what is involved - how much time you have off (between semesters, for example), and as realistic schedule as possible during semesters - it will probably vary from semester to semester and won't be set until you get to it but you should be able to find out what usually happens from the student handbook for current students and the course descriptions and such for current students. You might have a fair amount of flexibility in your study/prep time some of the time and not much at all at other times. How much is which is less important than having expectations in line with reality.

    I would try to map out some alternatives. For example, you might have a back-up plan of buying a cheap (ugly but mechanically sound) car so you can live somewhat closer to his job if he has never commuted very far before and it is worse than he expects. Sometimes, just knowing there is an alternative lets one can handle the less than ideal aspects better.

    Sorry about the mixed pronouns but not sorry enough to figure out how to rewrite this without them ) .

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors