A&P II Club! Come on in! - page 9

Who all is taking A&P 2 ? Is there going to be a club?:idea:... Read More

  1. by   JaxiaKiley
    Figuring out the sheep's heart is going to be a challenge. I cannot figure out a good way to know which side we are looking at! Hard to admit I cannot tell the left from the right, lol...Hopefully I will figure out something before the midterm.

    Our lab only has two tests -- the midterm and the final.
  2. by   stpauligirl
    Quote from JaxiaKiley
    Figuring out the sheep's heart is going to be a challenge. I cannot figure out a good way to know which side we are looking at! Hard to admit I cannot tell the left from the right, lol...Hopefully I will figure out something before the midterm.

    Our lab only has two tests -- the midterm and the final.
    I already have nightmares about the sheepheart, we will disect one on Monday. Professor has already announced that we won't have the best possible specimen...it will also be on the test a week from Monday. He loves the Immune System and is giving us more information about it then any other teacher, he told us that we will thank him later for it :wink2: the lecture part is enough to give you a headache, and I have listened to his lectures which I tape, this afternoon to "fill in the blanks" I don't know how I would make it without taping him, he talks so fast. We will have 3 lab tests and 4 lecture tests in this course and one of the 7 total can be dropped.
    Together we can do this....hang in there, you are not alone and I am here for you to listen and vent. I will do plenty of whining and venting, that's for sure!
  3. by   JaxiaKiley
    Wow, I wish we could drop a test! The way our class is set up is that lab counts for 30% of the overall grade, and there are two tests in lab. Lecture counts for the other 70%, and we have five tests including a comprehensive final that are all weighted equally.

    We don't even officially dissect it in class. There was just a bucket in the back with a bunch of sheep hearts that we could look at if we wanted to!
  4. by   stpauligirl
    Quote from JaxiaKiley
    Wow, I wish we could drop a test! The way our class is set up is that lab counts for 30% of the overall grade, and there are two tests in lab. Lecture counts for the other 70%, and we have five tests including a comprehensive final that are all weighted equally.

    We don't even officially dissect it in class. There was just a bucket in the back with a bunch of sheep hearts that we could look at if we wanted to!
    We get no extra credit opportunities though, that kind of stinks
    I don't know for sure if we'll disect, the lab book talks about it and I assume we do the only thing he said is that he will have a bucket of sheep hearts for us on Monday....we'll see how it all turns out if they are bad specimen.
    I will post about it since I expect it to be quite an adventure
  5. by   JaxiaKiley
    We don't get extra credit either.

    Yeah, the bucket of sheep hearts made for an interesting experience...there were some guys just sloshing around in there...

    LOL
  6. by   lisabeth
    Ya'll are so lucky. We just look at those stupid slides. He said some days we may use lab time as lecture time. I am even ok with that. Anything but those stupid slides. We have to draw what we see and answer questions. I failed lab back in regular biology because my drawings looked nothing like the slides. Luckily I did so good in the regular class I passed it with a B.
  7. by   stpauligirl
    Quote from JaxiaKiley
    We don't get extra credit either.

    Yeah, the bucket of sheep hearts made for an interesting experience...there were some guys just sloshing around in there...

    LOL
    Sloshing....LOL
    I hope I don't get sick.
    Once way back when I substituted for a Biology teacher, the kids opened a bucket and there was a HUGE dead snake in it...I FREAKED
    You will laugh but half way through my lab today I need to take some sedative because I will have a dental appt right afterwards ....that may just help me through :wink2: My husband took off so that he can pick me up and drive me since I will ge too groggy
  8. by   stpauligirl
    OMG the sheephearts....It was Sooooooo GROSS!!!!!! It's not for the squeamish.
    We didn't have any fresh ones just like our prof predicted and had to work with recycled ones....needless to say they were terrible, the aroma was horrible and he said that they started fermenting that's why we had that odor It's so different to view all the different structures on a real heart than it is on a model. We'll have our lab test Monday and will need to identify stuff on the real heart as well, that means I'll have to go in to open lab and handle it again before then.
    Well the thing looks like boiled chicken
    On the humorous side....the way to identify the back of the heart is to look for a horizontal and vertical line (arteries)....looks like a "thong", the back also has more fat than the front in the upper portion...."thong on fat butt", the front has a blood vessel running diagonally across like a sash that the beautiqueens wear...Ok, Ms America with a fat butt in a thong! At least I have that part down.
    Last edit by stpauligirl on Sep 19, '06
  9. by   Abbienursingstudent
    Anyone have any good tips on how to remember fibers (where applicable), location, and function of the epithelial cells, tissues and fibers? We've got a lab test today. I feel pretty good about it but wondered if anyone had any helpful tips to make sure I'm prepared.
  10. by   stpauligirl
    Quote from Abbienursingstudent
    Anyone have any good tips on how to remember fibers (where applicable), location, and function of the epithelial cells, tissues and fibers? We've got a lab test today. I feel pretty good about it but wondered if anyone had any helpful tips to make sure I'm prepared.
    Good luck on your test, categorize the different types of tissues simple columnar etc and write their locations/functions next to them on flashcards, that's the way I learned it.
  11. by   JaxiaKiley
    Flashcards! I couldn't live without them. I'm sure A&P students around the world are keeping the flashcard companies in business

    We finally got our grades back for our first lecture tests -- I made a 96! Woo! Let's just hope I can keep it up
  12. by   stpauligirl
    Quote from JaxiaKiley
    Flashcards! I couldn't live without them. I'm sure A&P students around the world are keeping the flashcard companies in business

    We finally got our grades back for our first lecture tests -- I made a 96! Woo! Let's just hope I can keep it up
    That's great, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!
    For my bone lab test in A&P 1 I had EXTRA large flashcards
    Keep your fingers crossed for me to do just as well as you on my labtest next Monday and my first lecture test the Friday after that.
  13. by   JaxiaKiley
    For bones in A&P I, I printed out a picture of each bone (some multiple times because I needed different angles) and folded the paper in half length-wise. Then I drew lines to the parts we had to know and wrote the answers on the back. It worked for me

    Flashcards really are a lifesaver so far.

    Thanks, and I'm sure you'll do fine

close