A question about culture (what does string around the waist mean?)Register Today!
- by np2b Feb 17, '04Hi folks,
While doing a clinical in the ED this past weekend, we had an infant come in who, when stripped down to his birthday suit, was found to be wearing a thin "belt" of leather/string tied around his waist. I assume that this has some cultural or religous significance, but I can't find any sort of reference to this practice. Do any of you know what this might mean? I think that the parents were of Indian (not Native American) descent, but I could be wrong about that.
Just curious about this, and I didn't have the opportunity to ask the parents...I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.
- 41,741 Views
- Feb 23, '04 by vbaby4lifeHi, from what I have heard from my granny,they used to tie a piece of string around the navel as a way to hold the bellybutton in so the child would not have an outie.
- Feb 24, '04 by luanne123I might be wrong, but I think the Hindu religion has this.
- Feb 25, '04 by teeituptomShucks if I know
- Mar 3, '04 by nekhismomI've heard of putting a penny in the belly button to prevent a hernia, or to repair a hernia, but never heard of a string arond the waist.
- Mar 5, '04 by np2bThanks for the suggestions! I suppose this just teaches me that I need to speak up and ask when I have questions like these...
- Mar 15, '04 by nurseiamcould just be a sibiling......
- Mar 15, '04 by Pab_MeisterNahh...you guys are all wrong....
I'm doing a cultural paper as we speak. Here's the scoop:
In Hispanic (Latino) culture, it is believed that a spell is cast on a child when a person with the evil eye (mal de ojo) admires the child without touching it. Children are protected by special earrings, necklaces, amulets or other jewelry, or, in this case, a belt, which should not be removed during examinations.
Hope this helps....
- Mar 15, '04 by MishlBRussian Orthodox have a string tied around the waist at birth (?) and it stays on...committment to God? Not sure. Came in contact with a few in L&D, string NEVER comes off.
- Mar 16, '04 by Mimi2RNHmong babies often have a string bracelet. Something to do with keeping the baby's soul attached to him.
Anyone read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"?