canadian lpn not a "nurse"?
- 0Jun 18, '06 by char1976Hello all,
let me begin by saying I am in the lpn program and loving it. The other day, I was told by a presently employed lpn that lpns are just NOT nurses. She firmly told me that the world "nurse" was protected by the resgistered nurse and was NOT to be used to describe an lpn. I was really surprised and hurt by this. All that I am putting into this I won't even be recondnized as a "nurse"? If this isn't correct, does anyone have some kind of legal document that I could read that tells me that I will be able to identify myself as a NURSE and not feel like I'm pretending to be someone I am not?
Oh, and I'm in New-Brunswick.
Thanks so much in advance.
Love this site
- 10,790 Views
- 0Jun 18, '06 by Ingrid mI think that that's an incedible stupid thing to say. I am also going for my RPN (Registered Practical Nurse) which is the same as LPN. As far as I can see, if we are not going to be nurses, then it should be taken out of the title. If you are going to spend money and time to recieve an education in the nursing field, and you recieve your diploma...YOU ARE A NURSE! You just never mind what that person said. Who needs that negativity?
You go Girl!
- 0Jun 20, '06 by Fiona59As far as I know only reg. psych nurses, registered nurses and lic. practical nurses are the only ones permitted to use the title NURSE. Its a protected title in Alberta as well.
I remember being told in school that it was a protected title for those three designations but that families will use it to describe NA's, PSWs etc. because they see all caregivers as nurses.
- 0Jun 25, '06 by char1976It's like they don't have any pride around here The LPNs have been convinced that they are not "nurses". I wish I could have some kind of document I could print and put in my pocket so I could show the next RN or LPN that tries to convince me I'm not a nurse. hmmmmmmmm. :trout:
- 0Jun 29, '06 by Ingrid mQuote from char1976It's like they don't have any pride around here The LPNs have been convinced that they are not "nurses". I wish I could have some kind of document I could print and put in my pocket so I could show the next RN or LPN that tries to convince me I'm not a nurse. hmmmmmmmm. :trout:
Just show them your diploma/degree I am sure it states "Nurse" on it!
Be very proud.