Funny dreams about your job as a nurse - page 6
I dreamed one night that I was in charge and this one lady patient we had was dying. Her dx? "Chinese Toe Disease". Anyway, I dreamed her toes all fell off and she died. I called the doctor to report it and told him her toes... Read More
- 0Mar 18, '09 by mama_dI had a dream the other night that we were taking care of some of our most difficult frequent flyers (at least in my dreams I'm always working with my favorite co-workers, since they always feature my least favorite patients). I looked out the window in a patient's room and saw a new sign had replaced the sign with the hospital name...I turned to my co-worker and said "Crap, we ARE the Hilton now!"
Not really a dream, per se. When I was pregnant with our now toddler, I would get horrible charley horses in my legs and feet. They would wake me partially (you know that in-between state where you're not really awake or asleep?) and I'd started moaning "I have a DVT!" over and over again. It cracked my older son up.
- 2Mar 21, '09 by abbaking-I have strange dreams to begin with. I had a dream I was at work and one of my other male nurses i work with was bad-mouthing me (and using some foul language). As I went over to discuss this with him, he took out a hunting rifle and shot me in the shoulder...and I woke up! The weird thing is he and I get along great.
-Another dream involves having a ward of 100 patients and I am the ONLY nurse to care for them all...but the ward is actually an empty wal-mart with beds.
-Had a funny dream with my mother. My mom is a veteran 40+ year nurse (although now she does management). In my dream, she and I are working alongside eachother.I notice that she does not use sterile technique for foley cath insertion. I confront her and tell her its dangerous and unprofessional. She says "THIS IS HOW WE DID IT IN MY DAY" and "YOU MAY BE GROWN UP BUT I CAN STILL SLAP YOU INTO NEXT WEEK". Then I wake up
- 0Mar 21, '09 by StraydandelionOne of those "wake up very tired" type of dreams. I was having a wonderful time (dream)....then the entire dream vanished to the sound of an IV pump going off. I then dream I wake up and am at work still in my PJ's and for some reason that doesn't concern me as much as not being able to find which room the beeping was coming from.
- 0Sep 30, '09 by FranEMTnurseQuote from mondkmondkAbsolutely. Those are actually the best.That reminds me of when I was first an LPN...they put me on meds one day and one of my residents thought I was a bartender and that the med cart was a portable bar. He actually asked me for a Fuzzy Naval and so I gave him a glass of OJ and he drank it and then started acting tipsy...I swear it was just OJ though!
Then, when I was working in the Alzheimer's Unit, I had this one little lady who came from a very well-to-do family and used to have a glass of wine with her meals. We gave her 3 cups of plain grape juice one evening, and she started stumbling around and slurring her words as if drunk. We knew what she was doing and she was okay...by that, I mean she wasn't sick or stroking out on us or anything. I used to have to give her those long red fluid filled Colace (does anyone here remember those?) and one time I had some Hot Tamale candy and tried to give her one and I guess she thought it was that Colace and wouldn't take it.
Granted, those weren't dreams...but still funny.
- 3Oct 3, '09 by rachelgpI once dreamed that I fell while going down the steps into my laundry room at home. My dream was very vivid (and a little graphic). I remember hearing and feeling my humerus snap and the only thing I could think was, "At least I hurt myself bad enough that I can call in to work!" When I woke up, I was so disappointed that my arm wasn't broken, I actually started crying. Then got ready and went to work...yes, I know I needed a new job. I have one now and am so much happier!
- 1Oct 3, '09 by KittyfeetI dream a lot that I am at work and rushing to give meds and running out of time.
However the really weird dreams are when people from my normal life are inserted into my job as other nurses, like my friends and my sisters. Especially when I dream my husband is a nurse. One time I dreamed we were standing outside my job talking...and all of a sudden I noticed his arms were full of IV fluids and tubing and he was like "you are keeping me from giving my meds!". Another time I walked into a code and it was a pediatric patient, and he was intubating the patient! He is always a pediatric nurse too. Maybe it's because he worked at a preschool. I told him about it and he said he would want to be a flight nurse instead.
- 0Feb 21, '11 by readerwriter8im not a nurse yet but....
i had a dream that i was in my human anatomy lab but none of my classmates showed up for their lab, so my instructor turns to me and said, 'well i guess that means that you have to everyone's lab, it needs to be done before class ends so you better get started' and when i tried to point out that that wasnt fair she got angry and asked me what exactly i thought it meant to be a nurse
i woke up in the middle of trying to complete all the labs
*just realized that i am very late to this topic lol*Last edit by readerwriter8 on Feb 21, '11
- 0Feb 22, '11 by porterwomanHey, that's okay readerwriter8, it's a fun topic that needed a bump!
I dreamt that I had nothing to write down verbal orders on except a balloon. I blew up the balloon and took down orders on it.
When I first started in ICU, I had a horrific dream about some unknown person coming into my patient's room and turning off the vent. In the dream, they said "he's a DNR anyway" and in the dream I kind of went with it, like, oh, that's how you guys roll around here. Yikes!
- 0Jan 3, '12 by MLMRN1120Omg these dreams make me crazy! I can't tell you how many times I've woken up in a cold sweat thinking I've been at work all night and haven't passed meds or assessed one patient! Needless to say, I was in my bed and not at work. I also used to have nightmares about the first code I saw. I was actually still a First semester nursing student, so not directly involved, but there in the room and it was messy to say the least.That was 3 years ago and I find that the nightmare returns when I've had a rough week or another code at work