Nursing Interview Etiquette?

  1. 0 I had interviews on an M/S PCU and a Neuro PCU. I was offered the job on the M/S PCU the day of the interview, however, I asked for about a week or so to make a decision as I am still waiting for a decision from the neuro PCU and have an interview for the neuro ICU tomorrow. As of today, it has been about one business day since the M/S PCU interview.

    As far as etiquette goes, should I tell the neuro PCU and ICU that I have a standing offer from another unit and ask if they could make a decision ASAP? Is a week to long to decide? I hate to keep the DON/manager of the M/S PCU waiting on my decision. Kind opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
    Last edit by guyman123 on Jul 6, '14
  2. Enjoy this?

    Get our Nursing Insights delivered to your Inbox. The hottest discussions, articles, toons, and much more.

  3. Visit  guyman123 profile page

    About guyman123

    Joined Oct '13; Posts: 25; Likes: 3.

    17 Comments so far...

  4. Visit  klone profile page
    1
    Yes, a week is too long to decide. And no, you shouldn't ask for a decision ASAP.
    poppycat likes this.
  5. Visit  guyman123 profile page
    0
    Ok, then. What should I do? Turn down the M/S PCU and hope to get an offer from the ICU? Doesn't make sense.
  6. Visit  vintagemother profile page
    0
    I tend to ask that question during the interview. IE "do you know when you'll be making a decision?" Or "when do you expect to have completed the other interviews?" This lets them know you're serious about the job. Also, it can open the door to a conversation R/T the fact that you have another offer.

    Since your interview is now over, I think it's ok to politely call and ask them when they expect to make a decision.

    Just my 2 cents!
  7. Visit  Cohiba profile page
    2
    When I had two interviews two days apart (Monday/Wednesday), the facility at which I Interviewed on Monday offered me the position on Tuesday. Buuuuut, since (1) the clinic where I interviewed on Wednesday was where I really wanted to work and (2) I didn't want to leave the Monday folks hanging, I asked the Wednesday people "Is there a timeline for a decision to be made? I have another job offer pending and don't want to make them wait since I would accept the job here if I was offered it."
    kiszi and macfar28 like this.
  8. Visit  klone profile page
    5
    Quote from vintagemother
    Since your interview is now over, I think it's ok to politely call and ask them when they expect to make a decision.

    Just my 2 cents!
    The job for which the OP already had an interview already offered the OP the job. The OP is the one who told them that s/he needed a week to give them an answer.

    As a hiring manager, assuming that I had several good candiidates to choose from, I might be okay with waiting one or two business days, but after that, I would move on to the next candidate. It's obvious that if they're asking for a whole week to decide, then they've got another possible job waiting in the wings and I'm second choice. I don't want to hire someone for whom the job is a fallback or second choice.
    poppycat, kiszi, vintagemother, and 2 others like this.
  9. Visit  klone profile page
    3
    Quote from guyman123
    Ok, then. What should I do? Turn down the M/S PCU and hope to get an offer from the ICU? Doesn't make sense.
    That would be incredibly foolish.
    poppycat, kiszi, and chare like this.
  10. Visit  guyman123 profile page
    0
    Quote from klone
    That would be incredibly foolish.
    Exactly. That's why I stated it wouldn't make any sense, but it sounds like that's what I may need to do if I don't have a decision from the neuro PCU or ICU soon, which is what I'd rather have, unless you have other suggestions that may help in this situation. Would it be polite to mention to the neuro PCU that I have a standing offer and that I need to know what the appropriate course of action should be?
  11. Visit  MrChicagoRN profile page
    3
    It is Not inappropriate to call up hospital #2 and say: "I interviewed with you on ______, and I was wondering when you will be making your decision. I would really like to work for you, but I do have another offer pending, so any information you could give me would be highly appreciated. "

    As as a manager, it often takes me longer than I'd like to work through my to-do list. If I really like that person, it will give me an incentive to move things along a little quicker and not lose the candidate.
    poppycat, macfar28, and vintagemother like this.
  12. Visit  guyman123 profile page
    0
    Quote from MrChicagoRN
    It is Not inappropriate to call up hospital #2 and say: "I interviewed with you on ______, and I was wondering when you will be making your decision. I would really like to work for you, but I do have another offer pending, so any information you could give me would be highly appreciated. "

    As as a manager, it often takes me longer than I'd like to work through my to-do list. If I really like that person, it will give me an incentive to move things along a little quicker and not lose the candidate.
    They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?
    Last edit by guyman123 on Jul 6, '14
  13. Visit  chare profile page
    1
    Quote from guyman123
    Exactly. That's why I stated it wouldn't make any sense, but it sounds like that's what I may need to do if I don't have a decision from the neuro PCU or ICU soon, which is what I'd rather have, unless you have other suggestions that may help in this situation. Would it be polite to mention to the neuro PCU that I have a standing offer and that I need to know what the appropriate course of action should be?
    No, it would not be polite to mention this, and in fact might hurt. If I were the hiring manager and you mentioned this to me, not only would I immediately discount you as a potential candidate, I would let the manager of the M/S PCU know what you had done.
    Quote from guyman123
    They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?
    It’s not a “standing offer.” You have been extended an offer of employment for a position, and, as Klone mentioned, if you wait too long they will offer the position to someone else.

    Unless you are in a position that you don’t need to work you should accept this position. Once you have put in whatever time the facility requires you can apply for a transfer to whichever unit you desire.
    Last edit by chare on Jul 6, '14
    llg likes this.
  14. Visit  MrChicagoRN profile page
    0
    Quote from guyman123
    They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?
    That's a different situation.

    You could talk to the nurse recruiter, but there is the risk that the MS Manager gets the message "Guy doesn't really want to work on your unit."

    Most of us don't start were we ultimately want to be. This is your first job, not your last one. If there is no offer forthcoming, you can always get your foot in the door with MS, display a great attitude, get your experience, learn lots of stuff, then transfer at a later date.

    A bird in the hand.....
  15. Visit  guyman123 profile page
    0
    Quote from chare
    No, it would not be polite to mention this, and in fact might hurt. If I were the hiring manager and you mentioned this to me, not only would I immediately discount you as a potential candidate, I would let the manager of the M/S PCU know what you had done.

    It’s not a “standing offer.” You have been extended an offer of employment for a position, and, as Klone mentioned, if you wait too long they will offer the position to someone else.

    Unless you are in a position that you don’t need to work you should accept this position. Once you have put in whatever time the facility requires you can apply for a transfer to whichever unit you desire.
    Ok hahaha.
    Quote from MrChicagoRN
    That's a different situation.

    You could talk to the nurse recruiter, but there is the risk that the MS Manager gets the message "Guy doesn't really want to work on your unit."

    Most of us don't start were we ultimately want to be. This is your first job, not your last one. If there is no offer forthcoming, you can always get your foot in the door with MS, display a great attitude, get your experience, learn lots of stuff, then transfer at a later date.

    A bird in the hand.....
    Should I call the neuro PCU manager tomorrow and ask where they are at in regards to the interviews and/or ask the recruiter how long I have until I have to make a decision? He's the one that gave me the news that I was offered a position.
    Last edit by guyman123 on Jul 6, '14


Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and find your dream job.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors
Top