Jump to content

Nursing Interview Etiquette?

I had interviews on an M/S PCU and a Neuro PCU. I was offered the job on the M/S PCU the day of the interview, however, I asked for about a week or so to make a decision as I am still waiting for a decision from the neuro PCU and have an interview for the neuro ICU tomorrow. As of today, it has been about one business day since the M/S PCU interview.

As far as etiquette goes, should I tell the neuro PCU and ICU that I have a standing offer from another unit and ask if they could make a decision ASAP? Is a week to long to decide? I hate to keep the DON/manager of the M/S PCU waiting on my decision. Kind opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by guyman123

klone, MSN, RN

Has 14 years experience. Specializes in Women's Health/OB Leadership.

Yes, a week is too long to decide. And no, you shouldn't ask for a decision ASAP.

Ok, then. What should I do? Turn down the M/S PCU and hope to get an offer from the ICU? Doesn't make sense.

vintagemother

Specializes in Med-Surg, Psych, Geri, LTC,.

I tend to ask that question during the interview. IE "do you know when you'll be making a decision?" Or "when do you expect to have completed the other interviews?" This lets them know you're serious about the job. Also, it can open the door to a conversation R/T the fact that you have another offer.

Since your interview is now over, I think it's ok to politely call and ask them when they expect to make a decision.

Just my 2 cents!

Cohiba

Specializes in Nasty sammiches and Dilaudid.

When I had two interviews two days apart (Monday/Wednesday), the facility at which I Interviewed on Monday offered me the position on Tuesday. Buuuuut, since (1) the clinic where I interviewed on Wednesday was where I really wanted to work and (2) I didn't want to leave the Monday folks hanging, I asked the Wednesday people "Is there a timeline for a decision to be made? I have another job offer pending and don't want to make them wait since I would accept the job here if I was offered it."

klone, MSN, RN

Has 14 years experience. Specializes in Women's Health/OB Leadership.

Since your interview is now over, I think it's ok to politely call and ask them when they expect to make a decision.

Just my 2 cents!

The job for which the OP already had an interview already offered the OP the job. The OP is the one who told them that s/he needed a week to give them an answer.

As a hiring manager, assuming that I had several good candiidates to choose from, I might be okay with waiting one or two business days, but after that, I would move on to the next candidate. It's obvious that if they're asking for a whole week to decide, then they've got another possible job waiting in the wings and I'm second choice. I don't want to hire someone for whom the job is a fallback or second choice.

klone, MSN, RN

Has 14 years experience. Specializes in Women's Health/OB Leadership.

Ok, then. What should I do? Turn down the M/S PCU and hope to get an offer from the ICU? Doesn't make sense.

That would be incredibly foolish.

That would be incredibly foolish.

Exactly. That's why I stated it wouldn't make any sense, but it sounds like that's what I may need to do if I don't have a decision from the neuro PCU or ICU soon, which is what I'd rather have, unless you have other suggestions that may help in this situation. Would it be polite to mention to the neuro PCU that I have a standing offer and that I need to know what the appropriate course of action should be?

MrChicagoRN, RN

Has 30 years experience. Specializes in Leadership, Psych, HomeCare, Amb. Care.

It is Not inappropriate to call up hospital #2 and say: "I interviewed with you on ______, and I was wondering when you will be making your decision. I would really like to work for you, but I do have another offer pending, so any information you could give me would be highly appreciated. "

As as a manager, it often takes me longer than I'd like to work through my to-do list. If I really like that person, it will give me an incentive to move things along a little quicker and not lose the candidate.

It is Not inappropriate to call up hospital #2 and say: "I interviewed with you on ______, and I was wondering when you will be making your decision. I would really like to work for you, but I do have another offer pending, so any information you could give me would be highly appreciated. "

As as a manager, it often takes me longer than I'd like to work through my to-do list. If I really like that person, it will give me an incentive to move things along a little quicker and not lose the candidate.

They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?

Edited by guyman123

Exactly. That's why I stated it wouldn't make any sense, but it sounds like that's what I may need to do if I don't have a decision from the neuro PCU or ICU soon, which is what I'd rather have, unless you have other suggestions that may help in this situation. Would it be polite to mention to the neuro PCU that I have a standing offer and that I need to know what the appropriate course of action should be?

No, it would not be polite to mention this, and in fact might hurt. If I were the hiring manager and you mentioned this to me, not only would I immediately discount you as a potential candidate, I would let the manager of the M/S PCU know what you had done.

They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?

It’s not a “standing offer.” You have been extended an offer of employment for a position, and, as Klone mentioned, if you wait too long they will offer the position to someone else.

Unless you are in a position that you don’t need to work you should accept this position. Once you have put in whatever time the facility requires you can apply for a transfer to whichever unit you desire.

Edited by chare

MrChicagoRN, RN

Has 30 years experience. Specializes in Leadership, Psych, HomeCare, Amb. Care.

They're the same hospital, different units. So what would you do in my position? Take the M/S PCU job and drop the potential positions for neuro PCU and neuro ICU, or wait for the neuro decisions and risk losing the standing offer for M/S PCU?

That's a different situation.

You could talk to the nurse recruiter, but there is the risk that the MS Manager gets the message "Guy doesn't really want to work on your unit."

Most of us don't start were we ultimately want to be. This is your first job, not your last one. If there is no offer forthcoming, you can always get your foot in the door with MS, display a great attitude, get your experience, learn lots of stuff, then transfer at a later date.

A bird in the hand.....

No, it would not be polite to mention this, and in fact might hurt. If I were the hiring manager and you mentioned this to me, not only would I immediately discount you as a potential candidate, I would let the manager of the M/S PCU know what you had done.

It’s not a “standing offer.” You have been extended an offer of employment for a position, and, as Klone mentioned, if you wait too long they will offer the position to someone else.

Unless you are in a position that you don’t need to work you should accept this position. Once you have put in whatever time the facility requires you can apply for a transfer to whichever unit you desire.

Ok hahaha.

That's a different situation.

You could talk to the nurse recruiter, but there is the risk that the MS Manager gets the message "Guy doesn't really want to work on your unit."

Most of us don't start were we ultimately want to be. This is your first job, not your last one. If there is no offer forthcoming, you can always get your foot in the door with MS, display a great attitude, get your experience, learn lots of stuff, then transfer at a later date.

A bird in the hand.....

Should I call the neuro PCU manager tomorrow and ask where they are at in regards to the interviews and/or ask the recruiter how long I have until I have to make a decision? He's the one that gave me the news that I was offered a position.

Edited by guyman123

Ok hahaha.

As it was not my intent, would you explain exactly what you found humorous in my previous post?

MrChicagoRN, RN

Has 30 years experience. Specializes in Leadership, Psych, HomeCare, Amb. Care.

Ok hahaha.

Should I call the neuro PCU manager tomorrow and ask where they are at in regards to the interviews and/or ask the recruiter how long I have until I have to make a decision? He's the one that gave me the news that I was offered a position.

A deadline should have been negotiated when you were offered the jobs. I'm concerned you are going to talk, or delay, yourself right out of a job.

A deadline should have been negotiated when you were offered the jobs. I'm concerned you are going to talk, or delay, yourself right out of a job.

Calling the nurse recruiter tomorrow. "Hey, this is so and so. I received an offer from so and so and I am still interested, however I have an interview later today for unit so and so. A deadline for a decision was never discussed during the interview, so when would an appropriate deadline to give my decision be for unit so and so?"

How does that sound? Any suggestions for said response?

kiszi, RN

Has 9 years experience.

As pps have stated, since both jobs are within the same hospital, (or all three if I understand correctly) making inquiries into hiring decisions might not be seen in the best light.

The best advice you've been given here is to take the job and apply for an internal transfer when the opportunity arises.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself if you're willing to risk having no job at all.

So I declined the MS PCU offer. I just found out neuro PCU is interested in someone else and the interview with the neuro ICU manager was a discussion on getting a year's worth of experience then getting hired on. It's back to searching again! I love you all! :-)

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK