Aussie-isms - page 2
by Grace Oz | 8,881 Views | 79 Comments
Ok, I'll start a thread too! :cool: In an effort to help our non -Aussies understand our lingo, I'll start a thread on our slang words and / or words that are parculiar, common, here in Aust. So everybody, get onboard & add... Read More
- 0Jan 21, '03 by renerianI agree with you l.rae! I am loving this! Grace I looked into supplemental health care company. Maybe I will do that again. I would be so very excited if I could come there and work. I also would have to take some course as directed by the nursing board over there......
- 0Jan 21, '03 by sunnygirl272Originally posted by l.rae
Back of Bourke : a very long way away .....could also be known as BFE......here in US, but l would get banned if l translate what that means......LOL....
- 0Jan 22, '03 by Grace OzCRIKEY!
Here's some more...
CRIKEY... Surprised, you for real?, amazed.
DUNNY... toilet (used to be the old tin pan,sited
outside the house in a small tin shed). Known also as the "outhouse"!! Usually collected once a week by the "dunny" collector! LOL We're more sophisticated these days.They even have cisterns! LOL
Grace Ah, the memories! I'm LMAO
- 0Jan 22, '03 by Grace OzBut wait... There's MORE!!...
STONE THE BLOODY CROWS!... Many uses: Amazed,WOW!
Frustrated, ****** off, excited even! LOL
The NEVER NEVER... Outback Australia.
BUSHWACKER... (NO, not someone who belts the bejesus outta George W!) It's Someone who comes from or lives in the outback. Lives in the Bush.
- 0Jan 22, '03 by TookieThen there the expression that 'she bangs like a dunny door'- now l am NOT going to explain that one - dont mean to offend anyone with that
Needless to say there are expressions that relate to our particular sports - like cricket and footy - but we wont confuse you too much too soon.
Another expression often use is - would you sit down you like a fart in a bottle - referring to the fact that people cant keep still
or another related to the inability to be still is that the person was
Up and down like a brides nightie.
will have to find an old slang book - next week when things settle down.
- 0Jan 22, '03 by l.raeSpit the dummy : get very upset at something
Figjam : "F*ck I'm good; just ask me". Nickname for people who have a high opinion of themselves.
Root (verb and noun) : synonym for f*ck in nearly all its senses: "I feel rooted"; "this washing machine is rooted"; "(s)he's a good root". A very useful word in fairly polite company
Liquid laugh : vomit
thanks for the link Bloke!...these are some of my favs....btw is it pronounced fig-jam?......can't wait to use that one!.........LR
- 0Jan 23, '03 by nakitamoon,,,,,, okay,,,,, i have a question regarding,,,, lingo,,, it's meaning,,,, etc,,,,,, not nursing related,,,,, i have been comunicating and building a friendship with a person from london,,,, he calls me chuck,,,, this is supposed to be term of enderment,,,, comparable to friend,,,, does anyone know if this is true,,,,,, or is he lying to me,,,,, it is so hard to communicate in the medium,,,,, we have too,,,, i am lost a lot with the slang he uses,,,,, any imput would be greatly apprieciated! thank you,,, in advance,,,,,, ~kitamoon,,,,,,