Would wearing a sexy nursing outfit to a party disrespect the profession? - page 3
Ok,just want some opinions. I am Rn,I've been a nurse for 9 years. But I just want to attend a lingerie party in April. Do you think it would be sort of disrepecting my profession if I I wore a sexy nurses outfit? In the... Read More
- 8Mar 2, '13 by CodeteamBQuote from GrnTeaI disagree, I think the difference is that stereotypically your firefighters are male and your nurses are female. There is still a double standard in this world in regards to sex and sexuality.
The difference is that if you ask: Do firefighters who respond to fires ever have the people they rescue come on to them and assume they're sex bombs? Do nurses in hospitals ever have patients and families (who may not have the aforementioned brainpower) make lewd comments and assume they're available?
I'm with IIg-- live your values. Have fun, but be the change you want to see in the world. There are enough degrading images of nursing making those nutballs think they're right about us already.
The change I want to see in the world is the ability of women (and female dominated professions) to be on the same playing field as our male counterparts, and embracing the "sexy nurse" and showing we don't give a d--n what ignorant people think about it is in my opinion part of that. But hey, I'm 3rd wave like that.
I just don't think we're doing ourselves any favours by getting our collective shorts in a twist and letting Hallowe'en costumes or lingerie make us feel bad about our profession. Rise above and have a little cosplay fun if that is what makes you happy, or don't if it doesn't. Either way, don't let "sexy nurse" change the way you view yourself or your co-workers, advocate for yourself if you encounter some idiot who takes it seriously in your workplace and don't forget to be proud of your own life-saving butt!
- 0Mar 2, '13 by 1pinknurseAlthough I don't think you are supposed to wear a costume to a lingerie party, I say go for it!!!! I have a naughty nurse outfit hanging in the closet myself. I am not so close minded that if I see someone wearing one, it puts me to shame as a nurse. It is a costume for crying out loud. Now if I thought it would end up on the Internet or someone who I don't want to see might see, then I wouldn't take the chance. JMO but do what feels right to you.
- 0Mar 2, '13 by smartnurse1982Yes,we are supposed to wear our lingerie to the party.
It will be in a hotel. its not private,its a party the public can attend.
This will be my first time doing this. I was hesitant in the past.
I very rarely get to dress sexy. I'm in scrubs 6 days of the week. The scrub make me feel and look as large as a bathtub.
I did try to wear skinny leg scrub pants from Sketchers. My supervisor didn't like them at ALL.
I've been feeling like my sex appeal has dropped. Around these areas,its different. The public thinks all nurses are fat,lazy slobs.
I hear it all the time.
- 3Mar 2, '13 by MomRN0913Quote from kloneGood lord. It's not like she's prostituting. She's wearing a costume to a party, for goodness sake.
Seriously! They have the naughty fireman, naughty cop, naughty every profession costume in the costume stores. Does that harm the reputation of all those professions too?!
People need to seriously loosen up!
- 1Mar 2, '13 by Ruas61Quote from smartnurse1982I am not sure exactly what this means.I want to be sexy for once doing something I love.
You want to look sexy and do nursing at the same time?
I think you are going to have a problem there. I think that combination is inappropriate and unprofessional.
Maybe you need to look at feeling good about yourself sans specific apparel. If you like yourself and are confident than you will come across as such.