Things you'd LOVE to be able to tell patients, and get away with it. - Page 9Register Today!
- Dec 18, '07 by angel4grammaplease use the medicine cup to place the pills in your mouth instead of trying to put them in your hands and decide which one you want to try first. I do not have time to search the bed and floor to see which ones you dropped.
Im sorry your Doctor promised you a private room. I am sure after you complain to him he will turn to me and ask me to do what is neccessary to get you a private room.
- Dec 18, '07 by Dolce--To the very unhelpful family members who accompany patients: please do not try to engage me in conversation about your own health problems. If I wanted to hear about your health history I would have asked about it to YOU. Do not interrupt my health history interview with the patient to share details about your own history. Quite frankly, I don't care!
--The jobless patients who are "living off the system" and forget to check their own blood sugars make me crazy! I ask them, "Why haven't you checked your blood sugars for over a month?" Response: "Its really hard to remember." ??? Why is it hard to remember if all you are doing during the day is watching TV?
--I actually do say to the patients that make negative comments about the hospital and compare it to the excellent experience that they had at the last facility, "Why don't you go there next time?"
- Dec 18, '07 by rph3664Quote from DolceWhat about the diabetic healthcare professionals who don't check their sugars, eat candy by the pound, smoke, defiantly refuse to lose weight, etc.?-The jobless patients who are "living off the system" and forget to check their own blood sugars make me crazy! I ask them, "Why haven't you checked your blood sugars for over a month?" Response: "Its really hard to remember." ??? Why is it hard to remember if all you are doing during the day is watching TV?
I've certainly seen plenty of that.
- Dec 18, '07 by BabyScanner82[quote=ruby vee;2551304]first, sitting at the bedside 24/7 is not an indication of supportiveness. it is often an indication of guilt based on the poor relationship the family has had with the patient for years. and it usually indicates a family that is a pain in the posterior.
second, this is a vent thread. it is rude to come into a vent thread and admonish folks for venting.
thank you ruby vee!!!! :spin:
- Dec 18, '07 by KimbalouI would say "Please get your tubes tied." "How could you possibly think of naming your baby that?!"
- Quote from allison2008Wow! What an idiot!
we had a LOL come in once who had an asthma exac. and also was s/p hip replacement 6 something weeks ago. her daughter flipped the "I HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE IN NURSING" card to everyone in the ER. ER doc wrote orders for soma, norco, xanax and demerol and Med surg had a bed so we got her up to the floor quickly.. about 1930. at 2200 rapid response called to the room, pt unresponsive.. when ER staff arrived chg nurse asked the ER nurse what she had given her, and the answer was nothing, just Normal saline. well the nurse on med surg had given her drug cocktail at around 2100. i guess her daughter, the almighty nurse, forgot to tell the nurse on Med surg that she already gave mom her meds at 2000 because she thought that the pharmacy didnt send them up fast enough. mom ended up on a vent. sheesh.
- Quote from clee1You totally rock!!! ROFL!I actually did this:
At about 4:30am, I had had enough! Marching into his room and closing the door, I approached the head of his bed. Putting both hands on the mattress and leaning down to about a foot from his face, I said: "Mr. XXXX, let me share a little something with you. We've got your number! We know why you are here, and guess what? You ARE NOT getting any narcotics here today, nor are you going to be fed. The doctor didn't order you anything, and we can't give you anything w/o orders. So.... quit being a pain in the azz, stay off the call bell, and if you don't like it you can carry your drunk, dope-seeking azz out of here!":trout:
I get so sick of those drug-seekers!! I know they "have a problem", but Hell, why make it mine too?Last edit by sirI on Dec 19, '07 : Reason: TOS
- Quote from dolcegood for you!--to the very unhelpful family members who accompany patients: please do not try to engage me in conversation about your own health problems. if i wanted to hear about your health history i would have asked about it to you. do not interrupt my health history interview with the patient to share details about your own history. quite frankly, i don't care!
grrrrrr!! i hate that!!! just gotta jack those jaws and waste my time! why in god's green earth would they think i care?!? well, i do know why...i'm too dang nice and i hate that about myself. but i'm getting better and better all the time about that - maintaining my boundaries that is...sorry sidebar there.
--i actually do say to the patients that make negative comments about the hospital and compare it to the excellent experience that they had at the last facility, "why don't you go there next time?"
- Dec 18, '07 by RnandsoccermomI hate it when every family member is a "nurse, doctor or lawyer".
I purposely use only medical terminology when they tell me that, then wait for them to ask what everything I just told them means. At some point they all fess up, I make sure they know my name too, so they don't try it again with me.
We have one nurse that told a family member "If your lawyer is competent, he understands what I can and can not do for your father legally, so why don't you go back and ask him again? I'm sure if he is a good lawyer he'll tell you exactly what I just told you." Shut that family member up.
- Dec 19, '07 by lil' girlTo the most demanding, attention seeking, manipulative resident on the floor that asks me what is wrong with you today? I would love to say, well other than the fact that my guts feel like they are falling out because I am sick on my stomach but I had to come to work because it is MY weekend to work and if I miss a weekend day I have to make it up on my weekend off and you are ringing that call bell like I have nothing else to do there is absolutely nothing wrong with me! Ding, ding, ding!!!Last edit by Silverdragon102 on Dec 19, '07 : Reason: TOS