Biting Your Tongue - page 6
by Ruby Vee 16,939 Views | 62 Comments
Things I'd like to say to patients (or their families) and get away with: "I'm so sorry no one told you that drinking a liter of hard liquor a day could cause heart problems. This must be a complete shock to you, having... Read More
- 3Jun 28 by lrobinson5Quote from Christy1019It was rhetorical in this case. To be fair he COULD be having pain from a number of things, neuropathy, phantom pains from his amputated legs etc.I wasn't sure if that was a rhetorical question or not, but if it wasn't, diabetic neuropathy is pretty painful. If it was rhetorical then I get what you mean, not every diabetic has neuropathy, nor do they all need to eat every 2hrs like I've heard them claim lol.
If he IS having that much pain, 10/10 pain 24/7 despite high doses of narcotics Q2 hours, it is still hard for me to deal with it considering he has bullied every single doctor, nurse, and supervisor at my hospital to accommodate slowly killing himself. There is no such thing as a 3,000 calorie ADA diet, but guess who got it ordered for them?
- 13Jul 10 by woohQuote from LadyFree28The requests ALWAYS end once you find a male staff member to answer their call bell for those requests. Suddenly IT'S A MIRACLE!!! THEY CAN USE THEIR HANDS AGAIN!!!This...
Never had to hold an able bodied penis, even with SCI pts, unless absolutely necessary...if you move your arms and fingers, assume the position!
- 1Jul 23 by OCNRN63I liked all of these, but wanted to point out that pit bulls can be service dogs, though it wouldn't surprise me if the guy you mentioned was lying.
- 6Sep 18 by ICURN3020Quote from DosmoRNI wish we could do this sometimes. But doing so would probably just cause one more "Nurses eat their young", "My coworkers are mean" or "Bullying" thread on AN written by some know it all who just doesn't get it.I have an idea...Why not assign "Ms critical -thinker new nurse" to the patient who wanted the Philipina nurse to "sit" on him. Or maybe, let her respond to the patient who, among a stream of other requests, wants her to hold his penis while he voids.Would it be too cruel to assign her, in additionl, to the patient whose grown child demands his mother gets ibuprophen every 2 hours around the clock. The one who says (shouts) "I don't care if it makes her stomach hurt, my mother needs to be PAIN FREE, don't you understand that??!. Let her apply a little "critical thinking" to the guy who calls 911 because he's drunk.
Maybe it will help her understand that nobody is going to require her to cite "studies" regarding anything nor quote any experts...just do the job of a nurse. You may have to "bite your tongue" when she tells you about it.
- 2Oct 5 by aqua_clementineThis happened today.
A (obviously single-and-looking son of a patient) had been overly friendly and Mr. Funnyman all day. His dad, (my patient) had an NG tube, NPO, peritonitis... As I'm leaving the room, Mr. Funnyman says loudly: "He would love for you to get him a steak done medium rare." I laugh, then (why didn't I just bite my tongue) quipped back, "Well, unfortunately I'm not the cook...or the waitress."
Can't believe I actually said that, but I also think that guy had it coming to him. He was rather obnoxious.
Sometimes, I get frustrated with the endless chatter. I have so much work to do that even as 12.5 hr shift isn't long enough somedays. It's hard always being over the top nice to people.