Mission Hospital Asheville or Duke
- 0Aug 19, '12 by alipetraHi all,
Im new to the site and posted this in the Pediatric forum at first. I am a 3 year Neonatal ICU nurse from Florida relocating to North Carolina. I interviewed at Mission Hospital and was extremely pleased with the unit and think it would be a great place to work. I left the interview concerned that I did not get the position and applied to WakeMed and Duke. I was offered the position at Mission a few days after finding out I had secured interviews at the other hospitals. I absolutely love the Asheville area and have heard wonderful things about their NICU. I have never been to Durham/Raleigh but am of course interested in working at Duke. Does anyone have any opinions on quality of life and work environment for either of these hospitals? I'm not sure I'll even get a position at Duke but don't want to think I missed out by accepting the job at Mission without looking at all of my options. I am a single woman in my late 20s without children. Thank you!!
- 9,116 Visits
- 0Aug 24, '12 by misswoosieI would pick Mission over Duke.
I have heard good things about Mission and how they treat their nurses, but not such good things re Duke eg pay and staffing levels.
Duke is private whereas Mission is not for profit.
I really like Asheville although obviously a smaller city than Durham and Raleigh, but only about 120 miles from Charlotte.
- 0Aug 26, '12 by littlestbirdI guess I could start a new thread, but I was searching for people's experiences working at Mission Hospital since my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Asheville when I graduate nursing school next year...I know you're just getting started, but I would love to get your opinion once you settle in!
Congratulations on the new job!
- 0Aug 26, '12 by CrazierThanYouQuote from alipetraHi alipetra! I also recently got an offer from Mission Hospital. I also accepted. When is your orientation date?Thanks for your input! I have accepted the offer at Mission Hospital and am anxiously awaiting a start date. I can't wait to get started in their NICU. Seems like an awesome place to work and a gorgeous place to live
- 0Aug 26, '12 by alipetraHi!! Congratulations on your offer! I am not sure of my orientation date. Can I ask how long it took for your background check to go through? It's been two weeks since I accepted the offer and I'm getting a bit anxious! I know there's nothing to be concerned about on my background check, just have a lot up in the air and need to get my apartment rented here! When's your date? Are you also in the NICU?
- 0Aug 27, '12 by CrazierThanYouQuote from alipetraIt's been two weeks since I accepted too. I am hoping that I will hear something very soon. Like today. I really need to get my health assessment scheduled this week. My orientation date is supposed to be September 10th if we get everything done in time. From what I understand, orientation is only held about every 4-6 weeks.Hi!! Congratulations on your offer! I am not sure of my orientation date. Can I ask how long it took for your background check to go through? It's been two weeks since I accepted the offer and I'm getting a bit anxious! I know there's nothing to be concerned about on my background check, just have a lot up in the air and need to get my apartment rented here! When's your date? Are you also in the NICU?
I emailed my recruiter this morning. I also need to get some living arrangements made!
I'm on a step-down unit. I'm a brand new nurse so no NICU for me! Good luck! Let me know when you hear and I'll do the same.