"You look tired" - page 3
How do you all respond to this comment from patients? I work 7a-7p busy med surg, and have baby that wakes up several times a night. I can't help being tired, but these comments irritate me,... Read More
- 5Sep 16, '12 by JMBnurseQuote from Hygiene QueenSome patients are just showing concern for the people they know are working hard for them.
Bless my dear geriatric patients.
Exactly...this is usually uttered by the elderly and in their own way, they just feel bad because they see us running around and they worry about us.
I might say, "Ha ha ha! I do?? Well, then I look better than I feel!! Ha ha ha ha! <wink> Then change the subject.
- 3Sep 16, '12 by ~*Stargazer*~I interpret a comment like this from a patient as an attempt to show concern, and it shows that they see you as a human being, not just some faceless servant/robot/maid. I think that's a *good* thing. If you're hearing it a lot, then you probably DO look tired.
When a patient makes this observation to me, I simply take a deep breath, relaxing all my upper body and facial muscles as I exhale (which I find are usually tense/tight when someone makes this observation), smile at them, and say something like "Yes, I am tired.", while giving them a touch on the hand or shoulder to show I appreciate the concern, then change the subject and put the focus back on their care.
- 0Sep 16, '12 by DSkelton711I am tired and look it I am sure. Most people say it just out of observation not meant to hurt or irritate, I think. Take it as a hint to maybe try and take 5 minutes when you can get it, to do something to refresh yourself really quick--some fluids, some deep breaths, stretching, clear your mind. Then when you are at home, make sure to let anyone who offers help with the baby or the house--actually help out. I was really bad at feeling like I HAD to do it all and didn't really let hubby do his fair share. Now I know better. He might do things different from you but that is okay. Just make sure to get yourself some rest and "me" time to recharge and rejuvenate. If you truly feel and look tired on a continual basis, make sure to rule out anything medical like anemia or thyroid or any other problem.
- 4Sep 16, '12 by Lynx25Quote from pinkfish333If this is the worst thing that happens to you in a day, you have had an excellent day.My god, people are so rude to say something like that, that kind of thing really offends me as people will say the same thing to me.
- 2Sep 16, '12 by ♪♫ in my ♥Quote from AZMOMO2I've finally just accepted them as a sign of the fact that I live by day and work by night.Wow you look tired = Wow you look like crap... in my book.
I have dark circles and puffy eyes all the time and have tried everything to cover them except the $100 or more make-ups at the expensive stores.
There are much worse things that could be said of my appearance.