I am so excited to start nursing school in may, but I just found out I do not get any government aid due to my father making too much money, and due to the fact that I am not yet 23. Hello, my father doesn't help me pay for... Read More

  1. 0
    Quote from dah doh
    If you live independently from your parents and they do not support you, regardless of your age, you should able to appeal fafsa denial of finsncial aid. You should look into the process. Aid was denied to me my last year of nursing school. I looked into the appeal process, wrote a letter of explanation, and got approved.
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip! Could I find this process on the FAFSA site?

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights: Student Edition newsletter.

  2. 0
    Quote from Kdrenee
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip! Could I find this process on the FAFSA site?

    Don't die wondering. Go find out. Good luck!
  3. 1
    Quote from GrnTea

    Don't die wondering. Go find out. Good luck!
    I am right now!!
    GrnTea likes this.
  4. 0
    Sorry, it was a long time ago, but I think I talked with the school's financial aid office. Good Luck!
  5. 1
    There has to be some kind of appeal or contingency where students can have their aid based on their personal income. I remember my husband going through this when he told his father he couldn't claim him as a dependent anymore. eta: We were married, (and my husband didn't tell his family we had gotten married... long story) so he was an independant student.

    I looked it up. It's called "denendency status override", and it sounds like you may be in trouble. This website spells it out, and says that the federal gov't states that it is the familiy's responsibility to pay for college. Their unwillingness to help you doesn't automatically make you independant.

    Last edit by Jill2Shay on Feb 5, '13
    pmabraham likes this.
  6. 0
    This is just from memory, but I thought there was some rule that you had to be financially separated from your parents for 2 years, get married, or turn 23. Its great to be an old fart. You get all kinds of help. Check out WIA grants too. You are right on the dividing line for those at $13hr. Its $11.32hr here, but this is super poor Oklahoma.
  7. 1
    When you apply for financial aid, you're either considered dependent or independent. Dependent means you're under a certain age, unmarried, and childless, so your parent's income will be counted. If it didn't work like that, every parent could simply say they aren't paying for college (whether they could or not) and taxpayers would somehow have to foot the bill for grants for every single young person's tuition. Obviously that can't happen. Parent's need to take some sort of responsibility for their child's education if they can or be aware that there may be NO education.

    The downside is obviously in cases like this where parents flat out refuse to help, regardless of the consequences.

    You can definitely appeal. They do make exceptions for cases like outright abandonment and things like that, but I haven't seen much success.

    The good news is there are still scholarships and loans, and your program isn't horribly expensive, so you should be able to cover the tuition with federal loans.
    metal_m0nk likes this.
  8. 0
    Quote from dah doh
    Congratulations on getting into school! Try to economize during school by buying used books, uniforms, and supplies. Work more on your breaks. If you must get loans, try to get by on just the government ones offered through the fafsa form. Even if your parents make too much, you could still qualify for non-subsidized loans (not ideal but better than private sector loans). Try NOT to get private student loans.
    I am kind of stealing her post with this question but why no private student loans? I have a BA and plan to go to a CC to get my ADN and I don't qualify for government student loans : / The schools I am applying to say private student loans and scholarships are my only option.

    I am saving as much as I possibly can and I have enough money to pay for school but I will need help with living expenses...help!
  9. 0
    My dad is the kind of dad who thinks everyone should work for what they get and now that I work, and am an adult, I should have to pay for my own stuff, school as well.

    I don't necessarily disagree with him (except for the school part), but regardless if I'm 23 or not, I am independent wether FAFSA sees me that way or not.

    Oh well, it is what it is i guess. I am still going to look into some kind of appeal, and I will apply for as many grants as I can. Thank you all!!
  10. 1
    I believe your actually considered a dependent until 24. Talk to your aid office, you can't do this through the FAFSA website. I talked to my school since I had a similar situation (under 24, not living at home, non contributory parents) and I was able to get an independet status. I had to fill out paper work and prove they didn't support my income. Basically all this does however is give you slightly more federal loans. In the end you will most likely need some private or Parent Plus loans to cover the difference.
    CLoGreenEyes likes this.

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors