How do you store your stethoscope?Register Today!
- by BAMcDan Aug 24, '12What is the best way to store my stethoscope at my house? In a drawer somewhere, hung on a hook, or how?
(sorry, stupid question I know. But my husband bought me this stethoscope last Christmas when I decided I was finally going to go back to school so not only do I want to take care of it for obvious reasons [hello - PRICEY], but it also holds extreme sentimental value to me.)
- 8,659 Views
- Aug 24, '12 by TrophyWifeI keep my stethoscope in my clinical bag beside my computer desk. However, mine is neither pricey nor sentimental. But it is a pretty color. If you do decide to keep it out (or even if you don't), I suggest you disinfect it before you bring it home. Also, I wouldn't keep it in the car (like over the rear view mirror). I suspect that would damage the tubing.
- Aug 24, '12 by Nurse2Bee2013Not on a hook it will get a bend in it and ruin it. I just lay it out on a shelf by my desk in its natural shape (whatever position it wants to sit in). It can be stored in its box if you kept it.
- Aug 24, '12 by Sun0408I just stuff mine in my work bag.. Its pricey but so far (5 years) and it still works like the day I got it. I would engrave your name in it if its not already, they tend to walk off less
- Aug 24, '12 by BAMcDanI played with it for a day or two after Christmas and then stored it safely back in the box ever since. I just now took it out of the box to look at it, and apparently I didn't store it right because there's a "crease" or something in the tubing close to the bottom where it meets the round thing (newbie student - don't know the technical terms yet!). Will this hinder my ability to hear? Darn it.
Back to my original post - I guess I'll just leave it in my clinical bag. I didn't consider germs (yuck) but thanks for the heads up. I was also going to get it engraved with my initials, but they spell BAM (haha, when I got married and changed my name I thought that was awesome) and I'm afraid someone would think I was being "cute" or "unprofessional" or something. My last name is somewhat long (8 letters) so what do you think I should do?
- Aug 24, '12 by learning as i goI keep mine in a drawer with my other clinical supplies. As for germs, I wipe it down with alcohol or antimicrobial wipes several times a day. It's a good habit to get into while at the hospital.
- Aug 24, '12 by country73I put mine in the carrying case that came with my blood pressure cuff. It folds in half in order to fit in the bag, but it still works great! I also agree with "learning as I go", I wipe mine down with wipes after every patient. Germs!!! haha
- Aug 25, '12 by k_girl153I hang mine on a hook so it hangs straight down. It's where I hang my uniform so it's all together.
- Aug 25, '12 by RainbowDashI keep my Littmann in the box it came in with tender, loving care. It was a gift from a friend when I first expressed my deep desire to be an RN. It is my tangible reminder of all my hopes and dreams, and I can't wait for the day that I get to toss that sucker around my neck and get to work!!!
- Aug 25, '12 by Abigail612When I am not useing it its usually in my desk drawer with my BP cuff.