has anyone ever missed/skipped clinical?
- 0Don't incriminate yourself here, but just wondering has anyone ever purposely missed a clinical day for something other than a sickness? I know I try hard to got because it's much more trouble than its worth to miss clinicals, unless it's something completely out of my control, like being sick or my car not starting, and that has only been once or twice in 3 years of nursing school. I tend to feel guilty, so I will just go. However, I have a dilemma because next year we have clinicals scheduled on a Tuesday and there is an event I've been waiting for a long time also on that night; it's a 12 hr clinical. This might possibly be the first day of clinical....double whammy! Ugh, I feel guilty already and nothing has even happened yet.
- 5,749 Views
- 1Nov 29, '11 by GrnTeanot a smart move, missing the first day of clinical. look at it as practice for when you're a real nurse and will miss all sorts of things you'd rather do, because you have to go to work. it's a growth thing... sometimes there are things we learn in a curriculum that aren't explicitly stated in the syllabus, but they are learning experiences all the same....
- 0Nov 29, '11 by Jessica-Depends what it is for... I know some people that got written up because they missed a day to go on a trip they had planned prior and others have been sick and missed a day and therefore it was okay because it's better not to be around patients when you are sick. Just think about if what the event is worth it if your school is not happy about it in the end.
- 1Nov 29, '11 by mangopeachNope. It would be more trouble than its worth. If you miss a clinical day, you have to make it up, otherwise you fail clinical if you have not met the required hours. Although not always possible, they try to schedule clinicals at hospitals that are close to where you live and on days & times that are convenient to you. Its hit or miss with that but so far I've been lucky. I wouldn't want to chance having to make up a clinical day and the only hospital I could do it is far away from me or on a day that I have other obligations and can't make that day.
- 0Nov 29, '11 by pockunitI missed one day this semester because of N/V/D and didn't want to get a pt sick. Other than that, I've sucked it up and gone in. We don't get enough hours on the floor doing pt contact, IMO. I don't think we can afford to miss out on it. One classmate, however, has missed >4 days with no apparent consequences, so maybe I've been wasting my time by going in.
Also consider that you might run into someone who knows a classmate or a teacher at this event, and then your cover is blown. Not a good situation to be in.
- 0True. This is supposed to be an management/administration clinical. Hopefully clinical will not even start by then and I'm just wasting my time worrying. Class starts the second week of January and the event is 2 weeks later. Clinicals usually start 2-3 weeks following the start of class. hopefully, they don't send us off right away...