First Semester ClinicalsRegister Today!
- by rocababy119 May 5Hey everyone!!
So I'm starting nursing school in the Fall and I was just wondering how clinicals are for the first semester... I know that my clinicals won't start until week 9 of the semester.... But do you do any hospital Clinicals during first semester or is it mainly nursing homes and rehabilitation centers???
- 2,423 Views
- May 5 by ScottE,RNDepends on your particular program. I never once set foot in a nursing home during my clinical rotations. Everything was in a hospital. The focus of first semester clinicals was mainly head to toe assessment, ADL's, and basic medication administration and procedures like dressing changes and such.
- May 5 by rubatoIt completely depends. Unless someone goes specifically to your school, they can't tell you a definite answer. We had med/surg, oncology, telemetry, cardiac units in hospitals our first semester. The 2nd semester was a combo of mental health and gero, so we were half in hospitals for gero, and half in mental health institutions.
- May 5 by seven71My very first clinical rotation was at a nursing home. After that, so far they have all been in hospitals.
- May 5 by CNormanMine was on a cardiac floor. Just depends on the program!
- May 5 by StephalumpI never went to any sort of LTC. Started on an orthopedic floor right away. We did do some extra rotations through a psych hospital, elementary schools, and clinics, but all while also working at the hospital. Just depends on where you go.
- May 5 by NYCRN16Never went to LTC in RN school but did in LPN school. First semester I did mostly patient care, some meds and the care plans. The PCA's used to clear out the floor when they saw the nursing students :***:
- May 5 by AmberHopefulRNMy first semester (which will be summer, so 8 weeks) we will be in an LTC for the last 4 weeks. After that, we will be in the hospital or community settings (health departments, schools, prisons, etc.) for the rest of the program.
- May 6 by christina731I just finished my first semester clinicals for an ADN program and I was in LTC for the 1st 4 weeks then Sub-Acute for the remaining 6 weeks. Next semester will be med-surg at an acute hospital as well as several mental health facilities.
- May 6 by Julesmama28Quote from christina731Ours is similar. We only did about 8 weeks the first semester in LTC and rehab type places. This semester we did med surg in the hospital. Next is mother baby, peds and psych. I'm so excited!!I just finished my first semester clinicals for an ADN program and I was in LTC for the 1st 4 weeks then Sub-Acute for the remaining 6 weeks. Next semester will be med-surg at an acute hospital as well as several mental health facilities.