Worst nursing proceedure ever.... - page 8

OK c'mon fess up everyone. There is ONE absolute most worst nursing proceedure that everyone can't stand to do, but you have to when the time arises...what turns your stomach and ties it in a knot... Read More

  1. by   zudy
    Oh, baseline, I'm with you, I can do GI bleeds, TLC an OD, bedpans,ect. Pus doesn't bother me, even butt pus, in fact in my old ER I was known as the Pus Queen. ( And I have the tiara to prove it.) But please, the thought of CREPIDUS, bones grinding, It gives me the bad willies to even think about it! AND FEET!!!!!!! Too gross for words!!
  2. by   JohnnyGage
    Originally posted by dianthe1013
    The one thing I CANNOT stand? The sound of a bone snapping. Just makes me drop in a dead, dead faint. Can't take it. I have only ever broken my coccyx and was unaware of it until the next day, but my sister fell out of a tree and broke her arm once. My mom came running and thought we were BOTH dead.

    Donna
    I'm with you on that one! What's worse I think is when a fracture is being reduced and you can see the bones moving under the skin and hear the crunching? Yeah. Not good.
  3. by   adrienurse
    Trache care - definately the trache care. Or anything else involving sputum. Bring on anything else.
  4. by   canadian
    I funded my way through nursing school working on a plastics unit as a NA. One of my jobs was babysitting the leeches. They would be on a nasty smelly wound sucking away and then would fall off and I would pick them up with forceps and drop them into a jar. One time I wasn't paying attention and one got onto my forearm....Nurses came running from other units when they heard the scream!
  5. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by canadian
    I funded my way through nursing school working on a plastics unit as a NA. One of my jobs was babysitting the leeches. They would be on a nasty smelly wound sucking away and then would fall off and I would pick them up with forceps and drop them into a jar. One time I wasn't paying attention and one got onto my forearm....Nurses came running from other units when they heard the scream!
    That would be one of the grossest jobs, babysitting leeches !
  6. by   Furball
    Gawd! Ya know when "Fear Factor" runs out of ideas they just have to come here for the mother load of gross! haha
  7. by   RNforLongTime
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by adrienurse
    Trache care - definately the trache care. Or anything else involving sputum. Bring on anything else. [/QUOTE

    I had one last night and this guy could projectile his sputum across the room. GROSS! I took a shower when I got home this morning!
  8. by   JohnnyGage
    Originally posted by nurse-lou
    I had one last night and this guy could projectile his sputum across the room. GROSS! I took a shower when I got home this morning!
    I took care of a trach patient once (very angry at life) who could fire his sputum with deadly accuracy... every nurse was on his (hey! I get to use it for the first time!) fecal roster.
  9. by   vaughanmk
    I have to agree with Glad2BeHere. Burn patients with pseudomonas is the worst. We had it spread across the unit once and had 4 patients end up with it. The smell is unforgetable. We even had a patient who had already been grafted get it underneath the graft site. To me there is nothing else that compares.
  10. by   JohnnyGage
    What about the smell that results from charcoal/sorbitol poo? Even worse than a GI bleed in my opinion.
  11. by   ShelleyERgirl
    Originally posted by JohnnyGage
    I took care of a trach patient once (very angry at life) who could fire his sputum with deadly accuracy... every nurse was on his (hey! I get to use it for the first time!) fecal roster.
    :roll :roll

    Fecal roster!!!! LMAO Johnny Gage, you have to let me borrow that one. Hilarious!
  12. by   BabyNurse513
    I am so glad I work in the NICU. Nothing about little babies are gross (at least not in my unit, we have no surgical patients)
  13. by   copperd
    Several years ago, working in surgery, had a 26y/o w/m come in with dental abcesses. I don't think the guy had ever owned a toothbrush, let alone used one. The abcess extended to his collar bone and all I had to do was wash his face. I hemmed and hawed and finally put the warm cloth on his face and the abcess ruptured into his mouth with green pus running out the side of it. Talk about an over developed gag reflex. The smell and the look combined to really mess me up. The other gagger was a man, a car fell on his hand. Holding the hand to prep it, my fingers met in his palm with the crunching making me violently ill. The poor surgeons in both cases did not make too much of a fuss. Lucky for me!

close