When did you figure out your specialty?Register Today!
This is a discussion on When did you figure out your specialty? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... Just out of curiosity, how long did you guys take until you found your specialty? And what was your...by tortor09 Nov 4, '12Just out of curiosity, how long did you guys take until you found your specialty? And what was your specialty you chose.
I want to be a NP someday and I was thinking about how long I should work as an RN before I began to apply for grad school.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=795920©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Nov 4, '12 by tokmomSpecialty is Med/Surg. I have always liked the caliber of these pt's. I have left the dept to float, only to miss it.
- Nov 5, '12 by poppycatMy specialty is Pediatrics. I knew before I went to nursing school that is where I wanted to be. You could not even pay me enough to work with adults!
- Nov 5, '12 by turnforthenurseRNMy specialty is progressive care. I love it. I actually started here as a new grad. I think I eventually want to branch out into ICU.
- Nov 5, '12 by tortor09What is progressive care?
For me I loved working in emergency situations so I probably switch between ER and something else to keep me from burning out.
- Nov 5, '12 by born2circulateRNI work on an ICU floor at an LTACH. I've only been there for a couple months as a new grad. I must say that I've learned tons of things, but I'm not really feeling it too much. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.
So, when I get at least 6-8 months of experience I want to try ER and see how that goes.
- Nov 5, '12 by KelRN215Quote from KarenfRNSame. I've worked in multiple areas within pediatrics (pediatric hospital, boarding school, home care) but I never want to be an adult nurse... EVER.My specialty is Pediatrics. I knew before I went to nursing school that is where I wanted to be. You could not even pay me enough to work with adults!
- Nov 5, '12 by monkeybugMy specialty is Maternal Child. I knew in nursing school. I thought prior to nursing school that I would like Peds best, but figured out that Maternal Child (L&D specifically) was my area. I hated med/surg. In fact, we were strongly encouraged to precept in med/surg (required to if our grades weren't very good) and I told the associate dean I'd quit nursing school if I had to do one more day of med/surg. I have 15 years of hospital experience under my belt, and am now doing public health home visits with pregnant women and first time moms. I really miss the hands on stuff, but I enjoy my new job, too.
- Nov 5, '12 by dseem13My first job was in Mother Baby which at the time was exactly what I wanted. I realized if I did want to go back to school for my NP degree, I'd want to work somewhere more challenging for me. I transferred to the NICU, and I love it!
- Nov 5, '12 by SaoirseRNMed/surg IS my specialty, though people don't always think of it that way. I'm always being asked, "When are you going to specialize?" The answer is, I'm sticking with med/surg!