I had a needle incident while giving flu shots during nursing school
2 years ago. I don't know that I myself would call it a needle stick, but that's what everyone else called it.
We had tables set up in the middle of the quad at my university. There were chairs for the people to sit at the ends of the tables. The problem was that the needle box was in the center of the table because there was one box for each end. There was no way to give the shot, then drop the syringe into the box without walking all the way around the person to do it. So what we all ended up doing was laying the syringe on the table, putting on the band aid, then throwing the needle away after the person got up. This was before those safety needles with the flip-up guard.
Anyway, one guy had laid his flu shot info sheet on the table while he got the shot. Without thinking, I put the needle on top of it when I was done. He got up immediately after I was done, before I could pick up the needle. When he picked up his sheet, the needle fell down and grazed my thigh on the way down. It just so happens that I live in SoCal and it was hot that day so I was wearing shorts.
Right after it happened I didn't say anything because it looked like there was no damage. After a few minutes the area got red and you could tell there was a break in the skin, not a stick, but more of a scratch. I put on some antibacterial gel and decided I was done doing flu shots. I went to student health and was told that it was extremely low risk, even if the guy had anything (which I don't know).
I realize your situation is be different, Frautara. A stick is different than a scratch. But I want to tell you something that they told me ---IM needles are less of a risk because they are not blood-filled, like an IV or blood-drawing needle would be. Less blood involved, less risk. Not ZERO risk, but less. Obviously that won't fully take your worry away, but I did want to share that with you.
And a lesson... Don't wear shorts. It's just not worth the risk. I would even say that wearing a dress is risky as well. This would never have been an issue had I been wearing pants. This was an on-the-spot volunteer thing which was why I didn't have pants on. The real problem was that the needle box was too inaccessible. Always insist that it be within your IMMEDIATE reach, or don't do shots!
If it's one of these quick temporary set-ups, do a quick visual. Are things in good position for safety? Especially the needle boxes. A risk to your health isn't worth some experience giving IM's.