1. I have just made a terrible mistake in my profesional carreer. I tried to cover up a mistake that I made earlier in the shift by throwing two narcotic pills into the sharps container. I then proceeded to lie for several days about the descrepency that I created in the omnicell. I finnally broke down to the pharmacist and my supervisor and told the truth about what had actually happened, the pills were recovered from the sharps container and no one was hurt. They asked for me to resign. I recieved a call from the NSO of the hospital that a complaint will be filed for diversion and fraudulent charting to the BON. I will probally lose my license now for a terrible decision that I will never forget. I am writing this thread for advice but mostly to let others know that you make mistakes but dont try to cover them up. I will now lose my license and I am not sure what I am going to do now.
  2. Visit locust66 profile page

    About locust66

    Joined: Sep '10; Posts: 4


  3. by   Fribblet
    Contact a lawyer ASAP.

    This may not have to result in a loss of your license. Be prepared for trouble, but do not try and represent yourself before the Board.

    This is a very hard lesson learned, and I'm very sorry you had to learn it the hard way. While there is no question you shouldn't have done what you did, kudos for taking ownership and with maturity.

    Seriously though, get a lawyer. People divert drugs right into their own body and are able (after jumping through some serious hoops) to continue to practice.
  4. by   bds165
    Wow. That took some major cajones to come on a site like this and admit your mistake and subsequent cover-up. I'm glad no one was hurt and your admission may help others avoid similar situations.

    I wish you the best.
  5. by   nursel56
    I'm sorry this happened to you, locust. You may get some harsh judgements, but I'm thinking you are probably your own harshest critic at this point, and understand the breach of trust that is at the center of it. I think Fribblet's advice is excellent. You need an expert to navigate you through this.
  6. by   scoochy
    All is not lost. As others have said, seek out the services of an attorney ASAP.
    Call your state nurses association; they may be able to provide you with names of attorneys who are well versed in dealing with nurses and diversion. Do not go it alone. While you are at it, ask the nurses association if there is a nurses support group in you area. You can keep your sanity by confiding in them. I am familiar with this process in my state as I had 2 colleagues/friends who went through the process. They did not lose their licenses. In the state where I live, nurses have a hearing in front of the BON; the Dept. of Public Health participates as they are the licensing body. They have strict conditions in order to obtain a "Consent Order" which allows them to work, i.e., counseling, weekly urines, 12 step meeting attendance, 1 year key restriction, and a 4 year probationary period. It was tough for them, but they got through it. It is very important to link up with nurses who "have been through it."

    You may be able to receive unemployment; the 2 nurses I spoke of had unemployment hearings, and they were successful. At least you would have some $ coming in while going through this process. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as is often said.

    You need to tell yourself you are a good nurse who made a serious mistake.
    Some will be judgmental; that is bound to happen. What people need to remember is: "But for the grace of God, there go I." Try not to bring negativity to you; easier said then done.

    Hang in there....

    Last edit by scoochy on Sep 3, '10
  7. by   Midwest4me
    Sharing your lesson learned will no doubt help others who may have(or will be) placed themselves in similar situations. Students and new nurses need to read such stories.
    Like others said, get a lawyer. You didn't mention how long you've been a nurse...if for many years, perhaps the longevity and history of no previous problems will help produce a favorable outcome. Good luck to you.
    Last edit by Midwest4me on Sep 3, '10 : Reason: grammar
  8. by   Da_Milk_of_Amnesia
    Ok you made a big mistake. Lesson learned I hope? But my question to the OP is this. Why did you not just be honest in the first place??? It seems that if you had corrected your mistake or at least attempted then you probably wouldn't be in the situation you are in now I assume? If you didn't ingest the pill yourself then what do you have to worry about? I have taken a perc or other narc out and open the pill and then went to a patient who said they didn't want it. Ok easy fix, crush it and flush it end of story. But to lie about narcs, That's a biggy. Get yourself a lawyer and be prepared for some serious reprimanding from the board.
  9. by   carolmaccas66
    This is what happens when lawyers scare hospitals into flaming nurses for making mistakes. You were obviously too scared of the backlash to admit what you had done. This has got to stop! nurses being so terrified that they won't tell their supervisors problems they are having.
    The law is too harsh on overworked, stressed out nurses. Shame on the hospital for not offering you any counselling, and more support.
    Yes try to get a legal representative, to look at both sides. You may just have restrictions put on your license, and you didn't ingest or try to sell any drugs by the sounds of it. Were you told you would lose your license?
    All is not lost. Make a written statement for later use to support your side of the story and talk to a legal person and/or a counsellor.
    At least you had the guts to come on here and admit what you had done, so others can learn - sounds like you are a decent person when all is said and done.
  10. by   locust66
    Most the replies that I have heard is get a laywer but this case is clean, cut and dry. I am not covering anything up or fighting something that has already past. I made the mistake and I will pay for what every punishment will be given to me.
  11. by   Flying ICU RN
    Quote from locust66
    Most the replies that I have heard is get a laywer but this case is clean, cut and dry. I am not covering anything up or fighting something that has already past. I made the mistake and I will pay for what every punishment will be given to me.
    Legal defense is not about being righteous, it is about muddying the waters in your favor.
  12. by   Fribblet
    Quote from locust66
    Most the replies that I have heard is get a laywer but this case is clean, cut and dry. I am not covering anything up or fighting something that has already past. I made the mistake and I will pay for what every punishment will be given to me.
    The lawyer will make sure that the punishment fits the crime. The lawyer will make sure you are treated fairly.

    It is not about trying to get off scott free. You won't be able to do that, as you already know. You don't have to retain a lawyer, but, please, talk to one.

    After a while, what you're feeling now won't be as strong. Wouldn't you like to still have your license and be able to practice after your punishment is over?
  13. by   LadybuggRN
    What state do you live in? I can't believe any BON would strip you of your license for an error in judgement - espeically when there was no pateint harm and you are obviously very remorseful. It seems like a class in Ehtics would be more appropriate with maybe come restrictions on your license - but a complete Cease and Desist action? You shouldn't stand for that - the punishment does not fit the crime.
    Good luck, sunshine.
  14. by   mamamerlee
    There are lawyers, frequently nurse-attorneys, who specialize in cases that go before the BON. They know what is appropriate, and can help you protect your license. This really does not seem like an offense that should strip you of your right to practice.

    The meds were retreived, you did not divert them for yourself or for sale. You are, presumably, clean. Seems like you made a weird error about discarding them, and then you began to panic.

    Take care of yourself. Talk to a lawyer!