learning to write essays!Register Today!
- by nurses care Mar 28Its been very long i completed my associate degree old school system.
Now the hospital requires BSN degree for the nurses to work at my hospital.
am planning to study for RN _ BSN online programme.
i need to learn how to write nursing essays?
learn to do power point presentations,
how to do the references using the articles, this is all very new to me.
please if anyone can help me with helpful hints or any tips, useful websites to learn this, to make it easy.
thanks for ya help.
- Mar 28 by prnqdayI am in the same boat as you. I'm not good with essays at all. Looking forward to the posts on this thread.
- Mar 28 by TaitGrnTea covered it but here are a few things I have used while finishing my RN-MSN:
1. In a list there is a comma between "chicken, pork, and fish." in a list.
2. Avoid "fluff" words. Adverbs like "very" are often seen as lazy academic writing by professors.
3. Do not highlight words using quotations, unless it is a quote, or in italics. If you need to place more emphasis on a word, then think of a stronger word to use.
4. "Utilize" is the action of using something for a purpose and is not intended for replacing the word "use" in academic or professional writing.
5. Some professors prefer "healthcare" others feel it should be "health care". I haven't found anything so far that determines if either is more correct than the other.
6. Be concise. Go through your writing and aim for the low end of the word requirement. So if you have a requirement of 500-750 words, aim for 500. Then go back and increase language around topics that need more clarification.
7. Invest in PERRLA for your computer. It is a $30, well maintained APA formatting program. The creators are awesome and I follow them on Facebook. When you are writing APA papers every week it is a nice way to make sure your formatting is always pretty close to perfect.
8. http://citationmachine.net is your friend. While understanding APA formatting is always helpful, this can be great in a pinch for creating references, and it is free.
I think those are most of the things I can think of that have helped me maintain my 3.96 GPA writing papers every week for the last 3 years.
Best of luck!
- Thanks a lot for the reply.u guys r very encouraging me giving me the push to learn in different way. thanks ya all.
- Nursing is a continuous learning process, Good luck to both of us!
- Mar 28 by tyvinWhen I did my BSN years ago there was 1 year of English Comp required as a prereq at the university I attended. I was mad at the time, but as time passed I realized I didn't know English Comp as well as I thought I did. Now I value those classes as priceless.
I say this to all the people currently in traditional BSN programs. If the requirements are still the same you will be thankful for it later. I do see that the online ADN to BSN courses are not the same as the traditional.
I am surprised that there isn't an English Comp requirement for your classes?
One of the things that you will need to know is how your teachers want you to cite sources and what bib style to use (APA/MLA). In the sciences, it's usually APA style. Remember; when writing, you need to cite you sources...so very important.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&s qi=2&ved=0CEwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftippie.uiowa.e du%2Faccounting%2Fwriting%2Fbibliography.cfm&ei=es dUUYmKGq_8iQKSt4GwDg&usg=AFQjCNEKRzC5mPonl3Hc5A3j4 G8xR75Cfg&sig2=W-q-ODhCPD4Yj6IF1NuVtw
- Mar 28 by tokebiDuring the program, I chose to buy the APA book because I prefer to have things in print, but this website was recommended by faculty and has everything you need to know how to write using APA style:
Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide
Also, put in time and effort in learning how to search database efficiently. If you can correctly narrow your search, it makes life so much easier. Too many people waste their time trying to find articles with disorganized, random shotgun method. Librarians are great resources. Ask for their help.
As to learning "how to write nursing essays" in general, reading them is the best way to see how it's done. Search for some articles and peruse them and familiarize to the format, terms used, etc.
- Thanks a lot Tokebi, Tyvin, I did postpone my classes due to essays. i know its very useful to do a essay taking course @ community college. With my limited timing balancing between work & family right now am trying to learn online. thanks for ya time on replying my post.
- Mar 29 by prnqdayThank you everyone for the feedback!!