Hand sanitizer destorying my hands
- 0Dec 18, '09 by itsmejuli GuideI'm doing H1N1 shots and am constantly using hand sanitizer or washing my hands with soap and water. The skin between my fingers is burning and peeling. I've tried using moisturizer a few times a day but that doesn't seem to be helping much.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what hand sanitizer I can buy that won't burn up my skin?
I know they all have ethyl alcohol, but is there one that meets clinical guidelines with a moisturizer?
- 9,089 Visits
- 0Dec 18, '09 by zephyr79I feel for you! I have the same problem. I get using the gel and I use foams instead. much gentler than gels. I also like germx for gels. I can't remember the name of the foam that was used at the hospital i worked at. I break out in a rash on the top of my hands. It feels and looks like i burnt my hands. I put neosporin on my hands every night along with vaseline. it helps some.
- 3Dec 18, '09 by annlewisI don't use the hand sanitizer at all because I have eczema and it makes it break out. I think you have contact dermatitis and need to see your dermatologist. I use only soap and water to wash, and dry hands very well, and I use eucerin cream on my hands and for break outs, OLUX foam. Put eucerin on at night with cotton gloves and this will help calm it down, but you may need a hydrocortisone cream for the itching and peeling. See a Dermatologist right away is my recommendation.
- 0Dec 18, '09 by nurse_mo1986There is a hand sanitizer called ALLCARE PLUS manufactured by STERIS corp. It is a foam, and has a moisterizer built into it. I have found that it helps with the dryness TREMENDOUSLY. My unit in our hospital just started ordering it this winter, and I love it. It comes in a bottle small enough to carry in your pocket. Def worth checking out.
- 0Dec 18, '09 by MauraRNMake sure you are not using latex gloves. Check out this product; surgeonsskinsecret.com or you can find it on qvc.com. If you use the lotion before work, it will hold up thru many hand washings/gelling. I am allergic to lots of soaps, latex and some gels and this stuff is protecting my hands very well. It was developed by an MD/surgeon who was having lots of skin issues with his hands r/t scrubbing.
- 1Dec 18, '09 by LacieI use the foam cleanser from CVS brand as it doesnt leave you sticky. You also can find the Pediatric hand sanatizer as it has no alcohol in it. I wouldnt go to work without a product called "Gloves in a Bottle" as it has protected my hands from all the gels, soaps and frequent handwashing we do. It's well worth the $15.00 a bottle and last a long time. I use it before starting work and may have to apply once during my shift. You can check it out here and I swear by it!!! Also at night I use the Burts Bees Hand Salve or the Banana Hand Cream.
http://www.glovesinabottle.com/ (I think they send you free samples also on the website) I get it at the uniform shop in my area. If yours doesnt have it they may order it for you.