Good leadership qualitiesRegister Today!
- by Angie O'Plasty, RN Feb 20, '05What are the qualities that a good leader on a nursing unit should have?
- Feb 20, '05 by Angie O'Plasty, RNExpertise. I prefer someone who has really great clinical skills and experience.
- Feb 20, '05 by TweetyFairness and consistency.
- Feb 20, '05 by MaxsForget about just clinical experiences, it just don't cut it.
Good leadership is about being recognized as a good leader.
1. Respect: exceptionally good at getting things done.
2. Genuine Interest: People know they count.
3. Understanding: ohhhhhhhhhh! hell yeah!
4. Helpfulness: Leaders offer assistance with no strings attached.
if you don't fit into the four categories mentioned above, your definitely a crappy leader or just some power hungry beast.
- Feb 20, '05 by begalliThe ability to recognize the uniqueness of individuals.
The ability to communicate effectively.
Someone who's do as I do, not do as I say.
- Feb 20, '05 by Nurse RatchedSomeone who understands the difference between being liked and being respected, and can live with the latter at the expense of the former.
- Feb 20, '05 by NurseFirstQuote from Angie O'Plasty, RNAbility to listen, and, as Suzette Haden Elgin quotes psychologist George A Miller:What are the qualities that a good leader on a nursing unit should have?
"In order to understand what another person is saying, you must assume that it is true, and try to imagine what it could be true of."
This comes from http://www.adrr.com/aa/new.htm
and is part of an excerpt of her "Language in Emergency Medicine: A Verbal Self-Defense Handbook". Elgin is a Ph.D. Ozark linguist who has written a series of books on "The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense". Highly recommended.
- Feb 20, '05 by letinasomeone who leads by example
- Feb 21, '05 by PamUKStaff working in the NHS can attend a course aimed at developing leadership qualities. The framework includes the following themes:
Drive for results
Effective and strategic influencing
Delivering the service
Holding to account
Seizing the future
You can find the website at http://www.nhsleadershipqualities.nhs.uk/ if you want more info about leadership
- Feb 21, '05 by begalliQuote from PamUKMuy importante!!