Fear of Zombies - page 3
by NurseBrittney 9,771 Views | 67 Comments
I have this irrational fear of Zombies. It probably stems from the resident evil video games and movies that I adore... and the silent hill games that I rather enjoy as well... but I am, in fact, afraid of the potential of... Read More
- 0Dec 10, '09 by AngelfireRNOMG.
As I am fond of saying, the dead can't hurt you, they've already left!
Which my father always responds to with "Well, what they left can sure make you hurt yourself!"
Of course, I'm a big believer in the paranormal, entities, and all that, so I am REALLY the wrong one to ask.
Never thought much about zombies, though......
- 0Dec 10, '09 by axiousguyQuote from KungFuFtrYou need to play the game left 4 dead. In the game it's the zombie apocalypse. In one level the goal is to enter "Mercy Hospital" and get to the rooftop and catch a helicopter ride out of town. Swarms of zombies in scrubs and gowns must be defeated. Playing this game will help your fear. Well...probably not. But the game is pretty sweet!
HA HA hilarious! Playing that game should alliviate your fears or make it worse. I beat that level on expert
- 3Dec 10, '09 by PAROPPYAnd get the Zombie Survivial Guide (you can order it off of Amazon). Perhaps a little desensitization by reading up on zombies and the author's ideas on how to whack them will help you overcome (or at least control) your fear.
I have this book and I love it!!!
- 3Dec 10, '09 by LacieOmg!! I love zombies!!!! Funny as recently University of Florida made national headlines with the addition of a Zombie Invasion Disaster Plan on thier website. It was hilarious but was forced to remove it the same day. Anyway I am attaching the "Plan" for you as maybe you can find some use or revision to suit your needs. I have to say I love your post and the responses. Even my sons who are avid gamers came to read and making suggestions lol.
- 0Dec 10, '09 by Walden-Puddle, RNToo Funny!
I actually joked when I entered nursing school that I thought I might like to go into "zombie nursing" when asked where I was thinking about specializing.
Never played any of the games that others have mentioned, but I did see that U. Chicago has the "Zombie Readiness Task Force" and invited Max Brooks (author of the previously mentioned Survival Guide as well as World War Z (soon to be made into a MOVIE!)) to come and speak.
But no...I have no real thought that the dead can come back to life. Doesn't mean that being in a huge morgue is fun. It's a little creepy..and yes...there are occasional "noises" that can really get you thinking....
- 0Dec 10, '09 by Crux1024You guys have just renewed my love of Allnurses.com!! :bowingpur
I have a badddddly irrational fear of Zombies also, to the tune of about 2-3 nightmares a week. I bought the Zombie Survival guide book and couldnt read it..too scary! It freaked me out.
Working nights doesnt help. Im just scared for the night I see a pt walking down the hall and I mistake the parkinson's shuffle for the zombie walk .......
*yes, i know theyre not real. Im also scared of dinosaurs.
- 1Dec 10, '09 by JDCitizenQuote from MaxAttackOK but where do you kick if its a girl zombieShotguns are too bulky. You need a powerful handgun. Light, yet not burdensome enough to inhibit the ability to do your job on a regular basis.
Cmonkey's got the right idea - go for the head. It'll be messy, but it's better than a zombie eating your brain. If he does get you before you get the gun out, go for nuts. I've never tried this theory, but at that point you're out of options. Luckily they're usually slow and dumb.
OK years ago it was late one night I was helping a nurse prepare her patient for the funeral home.... She must have bumped the bed because the deceased patients arm brushed my leg... Well I jumped she screamed and mother nature took over with both of us: Sometimes what the mind knows doesnt matter when fight or flight kicks in. I thought the ward clerk would die she was laughing so hard.
- 2Dec 10, '09 by AnisettesI'm sorry for this because I know the OP was asking a serious question, but the post and the responses are hilarious, just what I needed after a run-me-arse-off shift. So, let me first say it's okay to be nervous around dead people if you're not used to it - so don't sweat it. Secondly, Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Oh, and ditto on the Zombie Survival Guide - it's a hoot. And personally, I'd go Ripley on it and use a flame thrower...
- 1Dec 10, '09 by teeniebertNow I'm pondering all the possibilities...
Stethoscope or BP cuff + full cans of Ensure = decent projectile weapon
TB syringes, thrown like darts, wouldn't do much damage but they might distract a zombie for a few seconds
2 nurses + full med cart = battering ram and a clear path through the shuffling horde
Detachable headboards and footboards could be good for smashing heads
And cords...lots of cords...call lights, bed controls, O2/IV tubing...holy tripping hazard, Batman!