Did you always want to be a nurse?
- 0Aug 10, '09 by Divest(Title)
Did you always want to be a nurse? I mean, when you were little, did you dream of becoming a nurse? Was this what you day dreamed about while you were in High School? Did you always know this was the profession that you wanted to get into? What about the medical field in general? Maybe it wasn't nursing, but something else in the medical field that sparked your interest initially.
Second part: How did you end up becoming a nurse?
- 2Aug 10, '09 by catnip3No, it was never my dream to be a nurse. I wanted badly to go into conservation, forestry, wildlife research (quite a far cry from nursing, I know!). However, my family was very poor, we had no car, and the babysitting job I had helped Mom pay the bills. I went to nursing school only because I could walk there, and the 3 year program was affordable with a loan. So here I am 25 years later, still a nurse! :-) I never "loved" it, but it IS a wonderful career, and I feel I've given it my all, though I still dream of spending my working days in the great outdoors.
- 0Aug 10, '09 by chicookieNo. It wasn't mine. I wanted to be a doctor. But I finished high school when I was 16 and I was scared to go to medical school. So I stayed here and went into nursing. I wasn't happy about it at all because I felt like I gave up on my dream but in reality what I wanted is what I got. I wanted to treat people and now I have grown to love what I do. (well it depends on the day)
- 0Aug 10, '09 by SurvivorRNId love to say Yes! Ive always loved to be a nurse..but that would be a fat lie. No!! I never wanted to be a nurse. I wanted to be a journalist and i was working on it but nursing just fell into my life and my family encouraged it ( I am appreciative of that) for the steady income. So here I am...
I still dont love it but it pays the bill ( and to those who love Nursing..good for you..ill never discourage u from being a nurse). Im still soul searching and ill find my true path soon....
- 0Aug 10, '09 by TaitNope. I was always going to be a Marine Biologist until I learned that I couldn't stand being in water that wasn't teal blue with a cement bottom. :P
I became an RN when I went in to school to become a massage therapist and the most influential adviser I ever had looked at me and said: "Have you ever thought about nursing?"
I really never gave myself the credit to be able to do this job or the schooling required!
- 1Aug 10, '09 by rps33Its so funny that most people are saying no. My answer is no too. I guess I didn't know what I wanted to be.
Then my grandmother, who I was very close to, died. A few months after that, it just came to me that I should go to nursing school.
I got accepted to a school a few blocks from my house immediately. That was very convienent. But I was a single parent, living on my own and working full time during school. So it wasn't easy. But I got through suprisingly smoothly (I think my grandmother was helping me out along the way).
I met my husband in school and being a nurse has given me so many opportunities to raise my family and still work and earn decent money with excellent hours. I also love the perspective it has given my and continues to give me every day on life and death.
So although I never dreamed of being a nurse, I really love it and could never imagine doing anything else.